Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images

Making my first Silnylon Tarp, How big?

Ok, so I've decided to make my first silnylon tarp.

This will be the first tarp I have for my hammock setup. I am a gram weenie (which mean's I'll be adding a 'summer' tarp to the collection as soon as I can afford to) but . . . in the meantime, how big should I make my first tarp?

I'm using an Eno Dbl that I'll be modifying by replacing the beener's and heavy rope with Srgt. Rock's UCR's and continuous loops, so it's less than 10' long, and will likely hang with a ridge line length around 8'.

I live in Georgia, and camp mostly during the spring, summer, and fall months. I do have an annual trip in January that I make.

I expect most of the time I'll be looking at night time lows in the 40's with a few dipping down as low as the 20's. The wind in Georgia doesn't blow a lot, but having the ability to block it when it does would be nice.

Given these expected weather conditions, and an expected ridge line of around 8' for my hammock, how big would you make a hex cat cut tarp?

12' x 10'? 10' x 10'? 10' x 8'? Smaller? Bigger? Would you include doors? It will need to be good for three seasons, with the occasional winter trip (seriously, think once a year tops to start) as this is my first tarp. I'll add a dedicated summer and winter tarp later, when funding permits.

Next, what fabric would you get and where? Would you get 2nd's or 1st's? What are your thoughts behind this choice?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to your advice.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I made the Winter Dream tart from Backwoods Daydreamer's design...and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! I also recommend adding tie-outs and going for the PVC pole mod...but SYOT!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I would go 11' length and at least 8' wide. That should give you plenty of coverage. If wind is rare where you go, you could just use a poncho to cover one end, just in case. That way you save a little weight and the poncho can be a dual use item. I made a DIY tarp myself. Be glad to send you a link if you like.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    11' or 12' Hex is a great size. Search for the Black Cat. Most of the Hew Tarps from vendors here are based along that idea give or take a little. For most of the year an even smaller tarp would be fine.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I would go 11' length and at least 8' wide. That should give you plenty of coverage. If wind is rare where you go, you could just use a poncho to cover one end, just in case. That way you save a little weight and the poncho can be a dual use item. I made a DIY tarp myself. Be glad to send you a link if you like.
    That would be great, thanks.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    That would be great, thanks.
    Hope this helps.Let me know if I can be any further help. Post pics when you're done!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=49882
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    1.9oz Ripstop DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and toggles
    I'll be taking on a DIY tarp also as a winter project. I'm planning on using the design on the DIY Gear web site.

I'm wondering if anyone who has made this tarp or a similar one could comment on the packed size. Lots of examples out there for weight but I'm more concerned with volume in my pack than weight. What size stuff sac would a 12x8 1.1 sil tarp get into.

BTW, sorry for the thread-jack...

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 100milerunner View Post
    I'll be taking on a DIY tarp also as a winter project. I'm planning on using the design on the DIY Gear web site.

I'm wondering if anyone who has made this tarp or a similar one could comment on the packed size. Lots of examples out there for weight but I'm more concerned with volume in my pack than weight. What size stuff sac would a 12x8 1.1 sil tarp get into.

BTW, sorry for the thread-jack...
    I made one last spring based on the plans on DIY Gear Supply's web page. I'll see if I can get some photos posted of the packed size tonight or this weekend.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think a tarp is really an individual thing. Like most options in life there are pros and cons with each. I prefer a small diamond shaped tarp, mainly because I don't want to mess with a bunch of tie outs, etc. Two sticks in the ground and I am done. Down side is that I don't get a lot of wind protection, but I also like seeing what is around me.

My wife has a superfly and loves it. When it is 35 degrees and blowing, I look at her with some envy. She likes the "coziness" of being surrounded and the warmth from the total windbreak.

There are many in between. Think about how much fiddle factor you want, how much coverage you want, and how much openness you desire. Like most things, there is always compromise or you may ultimately choose more than one. I also have a DIY 12x10 for winter now, seldom use it, even in winter.

Think through what it does for you, and what it is in terms of set up and hassle and make some good choices based on your needs and desires.

Good luck.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Asym Starter

I did an Asym to start with. That way I did not have to worry about any seams.

• + New Posts