Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

If you don't have it...Get it (Jacks R Better Hammock)

I have been testing out the Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge hammock and have been posting videos on my youtube channel backpackhiker. This is seriously one of my most comfortable hammocks. I love sleeping in this hammock. I like to sleep on my back, stomach and side and in this hammock I can do everything in comfort. The only downside to this (bearly a downside) is it isn't comfortable to just sit around in, for that I use my Grand Trunk Nano 7. If you want to see some videos highlighting this hammock check out the 12 months in a hammock series on youtube.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I also use a BMBH UL and a Nano 7 depending on the trip. Two great hammocks.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice series BackPackHiker

Here's a link to the first in the series:

Are you going to review the UL BMB?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl / DD Traveler
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    3 Season UKHammock
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Can you please make the videos playable for phone's on your channel....

Images
    You know, another great thing about this hammock is how easy it is to insulate it. With the original model, I can use a pad with more good result than with any other hammock. Really, I have often almost gone the pad only route with this hammock, forsaking my down UQs. Almost, but I have never taken the leap of faith yet, except using a 20" wide torso sized pad in warmer weather. But I have often been tempted!

But OTOH, there are probably few hammock UQ combo's that work as consistently and with as little overall hassle or fiddle factor as does this hammock and an MWUQ, full length or short. ( probably other UQs too, but I have not done much testing except with the MWs). And the reason is in the fit, the match up between hammock and UQ. like this with a short UQ:

Or like this with a full length:

There are no gaps or - what's the word? Ridges? Like an accordion or a fold up fan if you know what I mean. No places for the cold air to funnel in. And there really is not much to adjust or go wrong. You just hang the UQ onto the hammock tabs and that's pretty much it. Best of all, it beats all other combos I have tried ( except for PeaPod ) for staying 100% put and being impossible to roll off of or have it slip off of my shoulder. That stuff just does not happen with this combo.

I also think my WB CS Yeti is great and has it's advantages, weight and water resistance etc, but it is not as good as the above JRB combo in the areas mentioned. Most especially regarding staying on the warm spot.

And I still remain a major PeaPod with Claytor No Net fan. Really hard to beat that very versatile system. But the JRB system comes really close to doing so, and if I needed to slip in my 20" wide torso pad for a warmth boost, it might become the over all champ.

I have a UL BMBH now. Feels a little roomier in the shoulders ( kind of like when a pad is in the original). I will miss the pad pocket but it saves me some weight, even with a zippered net added. I figure it will work just as well with the UQs, but have not tried it yet.

Great hammocks in several ways!

I love the BMBH but the UL , I was not a fan of....

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Because? Don't leave us in suspense!
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Because? Don't leave us in suspense!
    Agree, fill us in, because at least one here has felt just the opposite. In fact, that review was my push to go ahead and get a UL.

I have not yet had time to put it to the full test. But based on short back yard afternoon hangs, I can see some benefits to the UL but am not yet ready to throw out the original.

The major advantage for me is in the name: saves me roughly 1/2 lb wt especially if I use WS suspension which I can do without having to cut off the webbing. ( so far, just using the webbing )

Next, it helps with a problem for some people but really not a problem for me: shoulder room. Maybe because I am so used to the original model, so that the shoulder thing just does not bother me any more. And maybe because I so often end up on my side anyway. Still, IMO there is more shoulder room in the UL, enough to notice, and I think without having to increase spreader bar width.

But other than that, I certainly have not yet noticed any comfort improvements over the original, in fact there may be some advantages to the original- though nothing major. Is it my imagination, or is the original slightly longer? But I won't know the exact comparison until I do some overnights, and from the trees, not from my flexy stand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Funny you should say that because for me it was the exact opposite, I love the BMBH UL but did not like the BMBH just MHO. I felt that I sunk to low into the BMBH and got shoulder squeeze from it however due to the UL not being as deep as the UL I felt that I laid higher up. I felt little to practically no shoulder squeeze in the UL where in the BMBH I felt lots of shoulder squeeze. Why the difference not sure but I like it .

I as well am curious as to the comparison you make between the two. I love that our cottage makers makes all different types of hammocks and gear for us to choose from so we can pick the one that works best for us. I was so glad when the JRB made the UL and it was comfortable as I had been wanting a bridge for quite some time and not thanks to the Jack's I got one.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee! Sweet
    Insulation
    Jar bridge
    Suspension
    Dutchie Whoopie
    Images
    One of the reviews that I read said the bars were really hard to install and a bit temperamental. Did anyone have trouble with that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast