Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post

I just see a lot of people making suggestions (many of which are well thought out, and might actually help certain deficiencies) and then when they don't get the response they hoped for from the mods, they take it personal, or feel like the mods are being unreasonable.

Make suggestions. If you get what you asked for, cool. If not, shrug your shoulders, and keep on hanging. Or don't. But don't let it bother you. Imagine the alternative - instead of it being a little more disorganized than you prefer, it could not be available at all.
    If your suggesting that I am getting upset at the reactions to my suggestion, then you got me all wrong. I am in no way getting upset or frustrated with peoples responses on an internet forum. I am merely just arguing my point and justifying the logic in my original suggestion.

"I aint mad"

Sometimes, one's tone and diction can be misinterpreted. That is most likely my fault.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    If your suggesting that I am getting upset at the reactions to my suggestion, then you incorrect in that assumption. I am in no way getting upset or frustrated with peoples responses on an internet forum. I am merely just arguing my point and justifying the logic in my original suggestion.

"I aint mad"

Sometimes, one's tone and diction can be misinterpreted. That is most likely my fault.
    Oh, no - I wasn't assuming. That was more of a pre-emptive suggestion. Not knowing you, I was just throwing that out there in case. You're all good.

I hate to see creativity and the willingness to find better solutions get crushed because the desired response wasn't achieved. It always reminds me of that scene in My Cousin Vinny, where Vinny makes an objection, and spouts off an intelligent, law based argument. The judge looks at him and says "Mr. Gambini, that is a Lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection. Overruled!" And Vinny looks crestfallen for a minute, then sits back down and carries on.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    If your suggesting that I am getting upset at the reactions to my suggestion, then you got me all wrong. I am in no way getting upset or frustrated with peoples responses on an internet forum. I am merely just arguing my point and justifying the logic in my original suggestion.

"I aint mad"

I've been rearing these and take your 'tone' as being helpful and spitballing ideas. It's all good.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Throwing in my 2 cents. I like it how it is now.

I subscribe to the hangs I'm interested in, so I get daily/weekly emails and I can read thru when I want. I changed the number of posts displaying to 50, so it is hard to miss something.

Carry on
    That's pretty much what I do and I am able to keep up. One thing the hangers in Ontario, Canada have started, is to make a single thread for the sole purpose of announcing group hangs and getting everyone in the area to subscribe to it. Sort of like an email distribution list. The idea being is that once everyone subscribes to it, a post with a link to the actual trip planning thread will be made in the announcement thread and everyone will get notified.

In your view, perhaps 5 or 6 similar threads could be created to make your arbitrary regions with the same goal in mind.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I agree that it is a pain to use the meetup section to find and update hangouts. I see a lot of suggestions of workarounds, but all seem to be just a way to avoid the simpler solution of subsections. I disagree that a State-by-State section somehow hampers out of staters ability to find a trip in a nearby state. The suggestion to make it regional is worse as the arbitrary regions require people to either know or look up which state belongs to which region. If a few states already have quite a few threads which are pushing everything else off the main... then a subforum for them seems appropriate. It doesn't matter what I think though, TPTB decided long ago to not do this as is their right. IMO, that is too bad as I think it would encourage more get togethers andfurther the camaraderie of the forum members.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    One thing the hangers in Ontario, Canada have started, is to make a single thread for the sole purpose of announcing group hangs and getting everyone in the area to subscribe to it. Sort of like an email distribution list. The idea being is that once everyone subscribes to it, a post with a link to the actual trip planning thread will be made in the announcement thread and everyone will get notified.
    What do folks think about the idea of using a thread to maintain the info instead of a sub-forum?
    Maybe some of those eager to moderate a sub-forum could just "manage" the thread, picking out the upcoming hangs in their region, and keeping a running total of upcoming hangs. They'd have to keep the thread on topic.
    Not to take it too far, but maybe someday these could become stickies.

Kind of like this:

Southeast Group Hangs - 2013
    States: AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV

January 18-20 - VA - Grayson Highlands State park - 7th annual Mt Rogers hangout.
    January 18-21 - FL - Central Florida - Buck Lake - THIRD ANNUAL FLORIDA HANG Buck Lake, Fl 1-18 to 1-21
    January 25-27 - SC - Columbia - Sesqui State Park - REV's Frozen Butt Hang, Columbia SC
    February 22-24 - FL - Central Florida - Arbuckle - FL>LWRSF>Arbuckle>2nd Annual Sherpa Hang
    March 15-17 - SC - Huntington Beach State Park - 2nd Annual Spring Swing 2013 SC
    March 22-24 - FL - TBD - First Annual - "Bold City" Hang!!!
    September 20-22 - SC - Santee - Santee State Park - SC Fall Sprawl 2013, Santee SC Sept 20-22

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    What do folks think about the idea of using a thread to maintain the info instead of a sub-forum?
    Maybe some of those eager to moderate a sub-forum could just "manage" the thread, picking out the upcoming hangs in their region, and keeping a running total of upcoming hangs. They'd have to keep the thread on topic.
    Not to take it too far, but maybe someday these could become stickies.

Kind of like this:

Southeast Group Hangs - 2013
    States: AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV

January 18-20 - VA - Grayson Highlands State park - 7th annual Mt Rogers hangout.
    January 18-21 - FL - Central Florida - Buck Lake - THIRD ANNUAL FLORIDA HANG Buck Lake, Fl 1-18 to 1-21
    January 25-27 - SC - Columbia - Sesqui State Park - REV's Frozen Butt Hang, Columbia SC
    February 22-24 - FL - Central Florida - Arbuckle - FL>LWRSF>Arbuckle>2nd Annual Sherpa Hang
    March 15-17 - SC - Huntington Beach State Park - 2nd Annual Spring Swing 2013 SC
    March 22-24 - FL - TBD - First Annual - "Bold City" Hang!!!
    September 20-22 - SC - Santee - Santee State Park - SC Fall Sprawl 2013, Santee SC Sept 20-22

Sounds good to me. I"m willing to help with whatever solution the Mod's and those that run these forums decide are the best option; even if that means maintaining the status quo, although I think a better solution to the difficulty exists.

I've noticed how fast the hangs thread moves, and its still November. I can't imagine what it starts to look like once the good camping weather rolls around.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    TallPaul.. That sounds like a good start to this problem.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    I've noticed how fast the hangs thread moves, and its still November. I can't imagine what it starts to look like once the good camping weather rolls around.
    Winter IS the good camping weather.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

Regions, yes

It helps newbies like me when thread originators do not include the state, I don't know the trail locations and have to google the areas to see where they are.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast