Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images

frozen boots.

on my first ever winter camp out years ago over night my boots froze solid. I couldn't get them on and the lases stuck straight into the air. Since then when it has been cold i have dried and cleaned my boots as much as possible and they have joined me in my sleeping bag. They stayed below my feet (i was small then) it seems to me though that in a hammock my boots would slide down to the lowest point under my buttocks and be problematic. What do people do with their boots to keep them warm while winter camping?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    I tried to use handwarmers (then socks on top of them) in my boots at the Mt. Rogers hang.

They froze solid.

Hammock
    1.1 single Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly, The Edge
    Insulation
    Black Mamba
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I put my shoes in a big ziplock bag and put them under my knees, that's usually where my clothes bag goes. I find that having my knees bent slightly in the hammock helps them from being sore in the morning. It did take me awhile to get used to the bulkiness of my shoes under my knees but doesn't bother me now.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    at the Mt.R'ers hang I put my boots in a sack and they slept between my legs with me.
    I could have dug a shallow trench under the hammock and buried them there...I did that with one water bottle, bottle in trench, small ccf pad over the trench, 5-6inches of snow on the pad, and the water did not freeze. The boots were in the hammock for two nights, I work camp shoes (Neos Overboots) around the shelter area.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The handwarmers and socks trick worked for me at Mt. Rogers, but I was in a hammock tent. You could put handwarmers and socks in the boots, and then put the boots in a pack or a stuff sack. I also took care to keep my boots as dry as possible.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    You can fill boots with dry leaves while they're still warm and the leaves suck alot of the moisture out of the boot. If dry leaves are unavailable dry them carefully over your fire.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Hand warmers have always worked for me placed inside the boots

Images
    A Henn. hammock, for one, has loops in the Ridgeline on each end. If the boots are in a sack, which has some thing to attach to, a line can be run from the loops to the sack. This can be used to keep the sack from sliding to far towards your butt. You might be able to cover the sack with the foot part of your quilt, to the side of your legs. But, that might cause draft problems. there might be more room for the boots, lined up single file, between your lower legs. That probably won't cause a draft.

If there is a spare jacket, the sack- while outside the quilt- can be wrapped by the jacket. That might be enough to keep them from freezing, depending on temp.

Probably most bombproof is under your knees like Laherb did. Boots in that position might have a learning curve comfort wise.

If the boots are well waterproofed from the outside, and vapor barrior socks are use, the will likely not be wet enough to freeze.

BTW, I had mine freeze solid after placing them, under my sleeping bag(ground) under my head. (I don't remember if they were on top of my pad, but I assume they were) It was only in the low 20s. But they were wet, I had hiked in deep new snow all day.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-09-2010 at 22:28.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    i think that one time i left my boots on but that was a wilderness survival camp out without a sleeping bag or quilt anything just warm clothes. (this was on the ground in a shelter.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    eventually frozen shoes are a reality in the right conditions. a good fire can help dry them off or at least keep them warm..

if they are already wet and or frozen do not dream of taking them in the hammock or any sleep system for that matter..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast