Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Im not sure why you cant use a bag as.... a bag. I understand that the compressed down does nothing but it does notthing when you sleep on the ground so whats the differance? If I open the zipper and spread it above me as a quilt I have the same amount of down on top as i would if I were inside it. Why not just sleep inside and use the hood as it was intended? Other then the trouble with getting in and out witch is minimal if you unzip it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    Im not sure why you cant use a bag as.... a bag. I understand that the compressed down does nothing but it does notthing when you sleep on the ground so whats the differance? If I open the zipper and spread it above me as a quilt I have the same amount of down on top as i would if I were inside it. Why not just sleep inside and use the hood as it was intended? Other then the trouble with getting in and out witch is minimal if you unzip it.
    I use mine as a bag. I think you gain a lot of warmth that way. The way I look at it, even though you are compressing a lot of the down underneath you, you aren't compressing ALL of it, right? I figure you have to be keeping some additional warmth below, as well as enjoying it above. I really don't think it's much trouble getting in or out, either.

Someday, I'll spend the money on real top quilts, but until then, I'll use my sleeping bags. As bags!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles
    I'm still dealing with some claustraphobia from time to time. Zipped up in a sleeping bag and rolled up like a big doobie in my hammock is no place for a "get the hell out now" episode.

I bought a new mummy bag back in '87. The first time I tried it was on my bed. I zipped up in it for minute and realized I was wrapped up in fabric, flipped out, and fought outta the bag. Luckily, the zipper went "ZIIIPPPP" and opened right up. Still not over that one LOL!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    People always talk about the hood getting in the way, but I really like it. With the open zipper under me the hood is off to one side and since I tend to sleep partially on my side it makes a great pillow. It just depends on how you like to sleep.
    +1 works the same for me.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'm still dealing with some claustraphobia from time to time. Zipped up in a sleeping bag and rolled up like a big doobie in my hammock is no place for a "get the hell out now" episode.

I bought a new mummy bag back in '87. The first time I tried it was on my bed. I zipped up in it for minute and realized I was wrapped up in fabric, flipped out, and fought outta the bag. Luckily, the zipper went "ZIIIPPPP" and opened right up. Still not over that one LOL!
    Grin,im with you on the too close thing. Try an m r i tube,took a whole lot to get me in there with my shoulders dragging the sides of the machine. Just use it as a top quilt,unzipped,with half of it tucked under one side.You will feel like your in a bag ,but leaves on side free to move for those oh crap im trapped hulk moments. Did not even mention being in a sleeping bag with a stuck zipper when the third prostate pee of the evening is about to happen. the body wants what it wants,not careing about the delay factor lol.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Actually that's not true. The down that would be under you is moved to the sides, and some actually gets pushed up on top. When I use my bag as a TQ the bag is noticeably more lofted on top of me than when it is snug the whole way around me.

That's not the main reason I do it that way though... It started when I was napping in my basement and just grabbed the bag and pulled it over me and I realized that I was much more free to roll around and get comfy as needed than when zipped all the way in the bag. I'm sure it's a preference thing, but if I have tried both (I've actually just started doing this so 90% of my time out in a hammock has been zipped into the bag) and decided I was more comfortable that way then why wouldn't I do it?
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    It's kind of interesting to see that the problem I had backpack tenting still exists while hangging.
    Can't say I've used down much though as it's too bulky for carrying.
    I have on the design board at home, a hiking sleeping bag that should compress small, but be at or better then 0'C rating (without a mat, I don't backpack with a mat). Being new to hammock camping, I think this bag design should transition over to hanging.
    If I can talk the wife into allowing me some R&D money from her online buisness, I'll start a thread looking for input as to how to better suite my backpack (tenting) design for hammocks. It'll be a mummy style, but with extras.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    My mummy bag gets used exactly as I'd see it in a tent - hood and all. I find that the cinched hood dramatically increases warmth and helps to keep the hotter air inside the bag where it belongs. Summer? Not necessary. Anything cold weather related? Gimme the hood, please.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was going to start a DIY TQ project but I'm just not sure it's worth it.

What are the advantages of using a TQ over a quality sleeping bag? Is the main advantage weight savings? You lose some versatility going with a TQ, but if the weight savings was significant I guess I can see the advantage.

The way I see it, I'm going to spend about the same amount of money so why not go with a good bag that has more versatility. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The difference is you're hanging off the ground where air is free to travel under you and wick away the precious warmth your body is generating. The same issue does exist in a tent, except it's the ground sucking your heat out of you, and this is why we sleep on foam pads. You can also use a foam pad under you in a hammock but I find it to be uncomfortable having *anything* underneath me in a hammock. So this is why I also no longer use my sleeping bag + pad in a hammock, it was a nightmare gettng in and out of it, constantly squirming about trying to get it in just the right position. I can't even begin to tell you how much more comfortable it is having nothing between you and the hammock, a TQ/UQ setup is expensive but far superior in terms of warmth and comfort.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast