Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies

Attn Superfly owners and tarp-wizards: seeking advice on guy lines and mods

OK
    After having the SF undeservedly sit in my bedroom for 2-3 weeks, I finally got it out this past weekend, just to attach some guy lines. We didn't use tarps since we had 2 perfectly starry nights with no rain in sight.

It was just setup, install lines, snake skins, take pictures, and take down. I was going to leave it up for the boys to play with, but they were playing Indians with hand-carved spears and arrows...so I thought better to stow it away...

Tree lines:
    I went with some line I got from Brandon, girth hitch to tarp, about 4 yards of line for each end (overkill) and one small Nite Ize figure 9 on each line. Fast setup, light, and adjustable...plus, I have a lot of those lying around...

4 corner lines:
    I went with Bandon's advice and did simple lines with trucker's hitch, no tensioner setup (saves me work)...

Pull-outs:
    Nothing done here yet, but I have an idea I'd like feedback on: having a set line between the two, length double the distance between them. One side of the line will be girth-hitched to one pullout, run through the other pullout loop, then back and attached to the original loop (with some kind of clip that won't damage the tarp with rough handling) for the stow position.

When the pullouts are to be used, I'd unhook the clip from the one end, deploy slack and connect to the other pull-out. This should form a nice big wedge, to which I'd attach another line by girth hitch or clip of some sort to the "point" of the wedge, and that line goes to tree, pole, stake, etc.

How does this sound...?

Doors:
    These doors are really sweet. I waited a long time to decide on a doored tarp since many of the designs I saw in pictures appeared as though for the doors to be closed, the bottom of the doors has to angle in toward the interior of the tarp, taking away interior space. Not so with these...nice design...pictures attached, including the snake skins with line pockets I saw here....(thanks guys!)

For the bungee setup on the doors I see used on videos, I can't get a good enough look at what folks are doing in detail to replicate.

Seems like Brandon had a cord lock of some kind in the plastic d-ring, but how does it stay there, only secured by tension? Seems he likes to detach the lines for stowing...

I saw the loop and hook at the business end, but not a good look at how it attaches to the d-ring.

Any feedback from folks on how they rigged their doors?

Last, I was thinking of two mods...

1. I was thinking of sewing on some small noseeum pockets at each corner to stow the lines. Seems like a very simple addy with no structural implications (unless I screw up). Any complications I might be overlooking? Which is better inside, or outside?

2. I was also contemplating the addition of two toggles to hold each door rolled when not in use. Has anyone else contemplated/done this...complications...?

Many thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    for my superfly i use 4 mini bungees to the stakes.

i have no tieouts.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a video I did on my SF .... may see something to help you out. Mine has add-on doors.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I emailed Brandon on this and he suggested that the shockcord is not necessary on the SF with the fixed doors, just girth hitch a 4 ft tie out on each door and tie them together to keep them out of the way when not in use (I spliced fixed eyes in the ends, easier to tie together).

For the pullouts, I came up with a little different setup. I built 2 four ft and 1 eight ft tieout with fixed eyes via locked brummel in all ends. I take the side facing into the wind, and girth hitch the 2 four footers to the pullouts. I then bring the tag end loops together from the 4 footers and girth hitch one end of the eight footer through these. This gives plenty of length for getting a little more height with a hiking pole. The nice thing about this setup is that it is light and easy to take off and hank up for storage in my gear bag. I kept my corner tieouts to 5 ft as suggested by Brandon, and you can use the extra line from the pullout tieouts to get a little extra length on your corner tie outs on one side if you want to set up in "porch mode"

Cheers

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a video I did on my SF .... may see something to help you out. Mine has add-on doors.
    Shug
    Thanks, Shug...funny, the part where you are talking about/showing the door bungees that go to the ground is in fast motion, no sound...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    for my superfly i use 4 mini bungees to the stakes.

i have no tieouts.
    Mini bungees are a really really bad idea on tarp tieouts. They can turn a stake into a projectile weapon right quick.

You'd be much better off using a self tensioning line, using any one of several techniques that have been posted here on HF. Please don't give people advice to use this potentially dangerous technique when there are far better alternatives available.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I emailed Brandon on this and he suggested that the shockcord is not necessary on the SF with the fixed doors, just girth hitch a 4 ft tie out on each door and tie them together to keep them out of the way when not in use (I spliced fixed eyes in the ends, easier to tie together).

For the pullouts, I came up with a little different setup. I built 2 four ft and 1 eight ft tieout with fixed eyes via locked brummel in all ends. I take the side facing into the wind, and girth hitch the 2 four footers to the pullouts. I then bring the tag end loops together from the 4 footers and girth hitch one end of the eight footer through these. This gives plenty of length for getting a little more height with a hiking pole. The nice thing about this setup is that it is light and easy to take off and hank up for storage in my gear bag. I kept my corner tieouts to 5 ft as suggested by Brandon, and you can use the extra line from the pullout tieouts to get a little extra length on your corner tie outs on one side if you want to set up in "porch mode"

Cheers
    Some great implementations here, Callahan. I hope I didn't frivolously squander my limited and hard to replenish resource of Kelty Triptease ...I might rethink some of my lengths...I likely went way too wide on the corners...

Then again...this tarp will often be used for my wife and I, so might need longer than "single occupancy" corners...I'll have to ponder this on the Tree of Woe...

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    Some great implementations here, Callahan. I hope I didn't frivolously squander my limited and hard to replenish resource of Kelty Triptease ...I might rethink some of my lengths...I likely went way too wide on the corners...

Then again...this tarp will often be used for my wife and I, so might need longer than "single occupancy" corners...I'll have to ponder this on the Tree of Woe...
    I go with 8' guylines on all my tarps. Plenty of line to rig it high or set up in porch mode. The weight savings of shorter lines is negligible, and it's also spare line.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I like your idea about the line stowage pockets. We have an MSR tarp that we use alot on river trips that has pockets on all the corners. They rock! Roll up the lines and stuff them in, works great. Let us know how it works if you do try it.....and of course pictures & instructions.
    KJ

Images
    as for the pullout i feel like it's easier to leave lines off them completely unless needed, they could be attached fairly quick when needed. if there always on it's just one more thing to get tangled.

as for the doors, (the superfly with built-in doors, not the removable ones) i prefer using regular guylines and treating it like any other corner on the tarp.

as for pinning back the doors i think swinging them all the way in and tying them together under the tarp is as easy as anything (see pic)

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/gal...&g2_itemId=148

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast