Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a BB 1.7 double.

I tried an blow up air pad (the type with the air chambers that run the full length of the pad) and for me I did not like it as it seem to develop pinch points that did not insulate. I even tried a synthetic sleeping bag but it slid around too much

I have used a wallyworld blue ccf pad on many hangs and it has worked very nicely for me. However I did not like the bulk. If I am car camping, no big deal. As I have been able to afford it I have been investing in UQ's. So far I only have a 1S and 3 Season UQs and have only been able to test the the 3S UQ (rated to 30 degrees) I have down to 50 degrees. As claimed, the UQ's are more comfortable than pads.
    Figured out how to keep the ends closed so cold air does not in. Still playing around in learning how to keep the UQ from slipping to one side as I am a restless sleeper and usually find the UQ slips down and to one side just far enough that I start to feel cold on the exposed side. I reach out and pull the UQ back and I am warm again.

Still my worst night in hammock was far better than my best night in a tent.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone tried showing a sleeping bag between the layers? I wonder for myself if it would work. Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    tried it and found it to slide too much in my BB
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    I am thinking about doubling up some fleece and stitching magnets into the corners and a couple down the lengths. The positioning the fleece between the layers and securing from the outside with corresponding magnets. We have a science/chemistry/biology store in the area and small but strong magenta can be purchased there on the cheap. Since fleece has plenty of stretch, I figure the magnets might actually hold it in place fairly well.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    That seems like a great idea. You could also try sewing on some industrial Velcro and you wouldn't have to worry about losing your magnets.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think that unless you do a differential cut on the layers you will compress the insulation under you. CCF pads are not very compressible so not a problem. Down would be flattened. Everything else would be somewhere in between.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

For summertime use I have successfully used

cheap fleece throws, folded in 1/2 lengthwise. They do compress a bit, but seemed to still work well in temps of the mid 50s.

Jim

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I use a poncho line between the layers, but it tends to slide a little. It was very comfortable until it slid. I am not a tosser so it stayed in place for quite a while. I love the poncho liners.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    my husband and I both have double layer BlackBirds. Between us, we've tried a lot of different ways to insulate do to forgetting to pack one thing or another when we'd go camping. I've tried adding a military wool blanket inside my hammock, not between the layers but right under me. When I tried the blanket between the layers, I lost control of it during the night. With it right under me, I could at least try to keep it under me as I toss and flop about. It's not a very good way to stay warm but it was better than nothing.
    Now my husband doesn't move at all when he lays down and he will put one of those huge thick HEAVY sleeping bags inside his hammock and sleep right on top of it. I swear the thing weights like 10 pounds!!!

Please note that these are boy scout trips where the car is near-by and weight of your sleeping gear is of no concern!!

So I'd say that if you don't toss about much and there is no issue of how much weight your carrying, try out anything you think might work. You can always just get up and either add or remove something else to stay warm. You'll never know until you try it.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I've played with a synthetic wool like blanket as a back up. To get it in I folded it in half and rolled it up then unrolled it between the double layers starting at the foot box and going on the diagonal. It seemed to stay in place reasonably well and would likely give a few degrees. Could probably also include a reflective emergency blanket for a few more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast