Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ebay.com seems to be where it's at. Actually found some at only 8 bucks shipping, but it comes in rolls of 4 inches width - seems a bit narrow, no?

When looking for insulating wraps on German ebay the other day, I got pipe insulations about a decimeter thick with rock wool. Seemed slightly exaggerated somehow..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    No...not a good idea. It's a vapor barrier and to work right it needs to be right next to you. If you want to keep the wind from robbing your heat, try a sock, or undercover.
    It's not *just* a vapor barrier it's a radiant heat barrier. In physics there are three majorly studied methods of heat transfer Convection, Conduction, and Radiation. Dead air space and insulation help in Convection and Conduction exclusively. As each of these three methods are generally approximately equal in rate of heat transfer adding a reflective surface in your arsenal could increase your comfort level significantly. As a radiant heat barrier it is possible that one of those survival blankets or some reflectix on the underside of your tarp might even have a significant effect (you would be reflecting all the heat radiating off your body back down towards yourself).

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I cut a nice 6' peice for Gobsh last night and he used it in his DL WBBB, and he loved it. He said it was better than his therma-rest mat.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeykoder View Post
    It's not *just* a vapor barrier it's a radiant heat barrier. In physics there are three majorly studied methods of heat transfer Convection, Conduction, and Radiation. Dead air space and insulation help in Convection and Conduction exclusively. As each of these three methods are generally approximately equal in rate of heat transfer adding a reflective surface in your arsenal could increase your comfort level significantly. As a radiant heat barrier it is possible that one of those survival blankets or some reflectix on the underside of your tarp might even have a significant effect (you would be reflecting all the heat radiating off your body back down towards yourself).
    I'm aware, I just wanted to keep him from trying it below his UQ....but thanks for the re-edumacation

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I'm aware, I just wanted to keep him from trying it below his UQ....but thanks for the re-edumacation
    I guess I'm unsure as to why that is a bad idea?

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ w/ DOOR KIT
    Insulation
    HG/Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY WS
    Not so sure about reflectix under UQ. I use it for footbox coverage and sit pad mostly.

Seems radiant heat would be caught by UQ before reaching Reflectix much less before being bounced back.

Who knows, no physics scholar here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler73 View Post
    Not so sure about reflectix under UQ. I use it for footbox coverage and sit pad mostly.

Seems radiant heat would be caught by UQ before reaching Reflectix much less before being bounced back.

Who knows, no physics scholar here.
    Insulation is primarily there to stop conductive and convective heat transfer. The material will actually re-radiate the heat out and you still end up losing the heat. The reflectix actually reflects that radiation back towards the source which we all know is where we want it in the winter. If your UQ stays warmer you stay warmer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Lol Austria not Australia. I've had a quick look for it here in the UK too but to no avail.
    Whoops. I should have looked closer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeykoder View Post
    Insulation is primarily there to stop conductive and convective heat transfer. The material will actually re-radiate the heat out and you still end up losing the heat. The reflectix actually reflects that radiation back towards the source which we all know is where we want it in the winter. If your UQ stays warmer you stay warmer.
    When they said it acts as a vapor barrier, she meant that it won't breathe. Meaning and moisture/vapor that comes off you through the night, will pass through the quilts. Now if they're is a waterproof layer beneath the quilt, the moisture will get trapped in the down, instead of evaporating away,slowly loosing it's warmth. More of a concern the colder it gets.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=vapor+barrier

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    When they said it acts as a vapor barrier, she meant that it won't breathe. Meaning and moisture/vapor that comes off you through the night, will pass through the quilts. Now if they're is a waterproof layer beneath the quilt, the moisture will get trapped in the down, instead of evaporating away,slowly loosing it's warmth. More of a concern the colder it gets.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=vapor+barrier
    I might have to test this when I get set up, of course no downy goodness for me as I'm allergic to feathers, but a simple weight test should tell me the effects. I have an odd feeling that if done right this could work well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12