Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am HOT

I am HOT

After reading on here about everyboy's concerns for getting cold, I never thought getting hot would be a problem. But down here in Georgia, we are already seeing 90+ degree days and high 70 nights. My problem has been staying cool. I have not seen that discussed here except for one thread about fans. Is anybody else experiencing this heat?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

I am HOT

Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    90+ degree days and high 70 nights. Is anybody else experiencing this heat?
    Just had to click on this topic and see what it was about

When I'm camping in really hot weather, I usually tend to get cold at night even if the temps are in the high 70's low 80's because it's been soooo hot during the day. Now if the night temps stay up in the 90's, that's going to be ruff. If you can set up your camp site where you can get a breeze that will help. If not, not much else you can do. Try to go to bed clean, dirty sweat running down your sides is not much fun. Remember to air-out your sleeping gear/hammock before packing it up in the morning.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well, I would imagine that hammocks have an inherent advantage in dealing with hot conditions, since you have a much more ventilated environment to sleep in compared to a tent. At a 70C low you may not need any bottom insulation at all, or at least you can use a minimal form of it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    So much for my high hopes.

I'm hoping I get to hammock this summer without bottom insulation. going to be a hot one for sure here in the central valley. I usually go to elevation tho, and it's usually in the 40-50F range up there at the hottest.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    My problem has been staying cool. I have not seen that discussed here except for one thread about fans. Is anybody else experiencing this heat?
    I feel your pain Brother. I feel that, just as there are extra things we need to carry to stay safe and comfortable in the winter, there are things we need for the same reasons in the summer. A good friend taught me that nothing feels better at the end of a hot day of hiking than a quick bath. I'm not talking about a wipe down, but an impromptu shower with some Dr. Bronner's soap and a liter of water. A quick wash of the hair with a brisk scrubbing is cooling, invigorating, and cleans under your nails. After the bath it's off to bed in my hammock which is double layered so that I have no reason to use any type of under insulation to keep the bugs from biting through. This keeps my backside cool. I use a small fan on hot nights and it makes a world of difference. Perhaps the biggest difference in staying cool is made by changing out my noseeum netting for mosquito netting with slightly larger holes in the mesh. This results in a huge increase in airflow. An alcohol rub or an application of Lemon Eucalyptus bug dope also has a nice cooling effect on the skin. In the end, you can only do so much, but a combination of these practices helped to keep me sane while on my 1800 mile Florida Thru-Hike.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    No insulation is what works for me in the summer here in the Ozarks . No quilt or sleeping bag at all. A hammock is a great place to be when it's in the 70s at night.

The problem of course is feeling cool enough when you go to bed after you've been hiking in the heat. Ditto what T-back said about the shower. A little Dr Bronners and some water will have you feeling like a human again in no time. If you can swim in a lake or stream then even better.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    So much for my high hopes. .
    OK just so you guys/gals know, I am HOT (assuming you like fat, old, bald headed men) but did not want to get off topic here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Having suffered through this last year here in Georgia and about to suffer again in a few days, I had to add my .02 for what its worth. I have found if possible camp low in a valley, preferably by a stream. Definitely try and wash off the best you can. Also try and pitch your tarp as high as is possible, provided its not down pouring. I didn't use an uq last year, I just wormed into a light weight bag. This year I've changed that and have a light weight uq with a light weight tq. I made them out of 1.1 ripstop and babyquilt batting. In the trial runs, they seem to work great. Total weight is just at a pound.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Well, I would imagine that hammocks have an inherent advantage in dealing with hot conditions, ....... At a 70C low you may not need any bottom insulation at all, or at least you can use a minimal form of it.
    Oh for sure I think no bottom insulation is needed.

Let's see ( 70C * 9/5 ) + 32 = 150F

To Hot for me.

Now 70F is another issue. I'd be all Less stuff to carry and fiddle around with. Typos sure help stretch the discussion though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    A good friend taught me that nothing feels better at the end of a hot day of hiking than a quick bath.
    I got a hundred bucks says I know who that friend is you're talking about. Same friend taught me the same lesson. Still have an old water bottle with holes poked in the lid. Genius!

As someone that started my hammock career in Florida, I totally agree with the brisk rinse-off at the end of the day to help you deal with the heat. Clean skin (or cleaner skin) stays much cooler than skin covered in oil and dirt. Plus, you feel human again after hiking in 90+ degree temps and 99% humidity. Nice feeling!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast