Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Round turn 2 half hitches??

Just curious if I can use this knot confidently tying up the hennessy hammock supports to the webbing. I can tie the figure 8 monstrosity they recommend, but it seems like the round turn and 2 half hitches would just be easier, please let me know.

Also, the webbing that came with mine is the normal short one and does not let me allow to wrap the webbing around the tree. So if I do not tie the suspension lines really tight to the webbing, the webbing will slip down when I sit in the hammock. I wanted to tie a the suspensions at an angle with the webbing high up on the tree so that I do not place uneeded of stress on the tree, but it seems impossible without being able to wrap the webbing at least once around the tree. That sucks.

Also, when I get in my hennessy, am I suppose to put my feet to the right of the entrance way, and have my head to the left? I can only sleep on my back with a hammock, any other way and my sciatic nerves gets inflamed big time, even in the hennessy, although I know I am laying flatter then in my other hammock. I do like the hammock, its great. I got it with the %20 off at REI! Thanks help in advance

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Incacamper View Post
    Just curious if I can use this knot confidently tying up the hennessy hammock supports to the webbing. I can tie the figure 8 monstrosity they recommend, but it seems like the round turn and 2 half hitches would just be easier, please let me know.
    I've used that knot a lot, although looped around rings. Has always held well for me.

Also, the webbing that came with mine is the normal short one and does not let me allow to wrap the webbing around the tree. So if I do not tie the suspension lines really tight to the webbing, the webbing will slip down when I sit in the hammock. I wanted to tie a the suspensions at an angle with the webbing high up on the tree so that I do not place uneeded of stress on the tree, but it seems impossible without being able to wrap the webbing at least once around the tree. That sucks.
    I'm hearing you. I was just out in the yard this evening hanging a new DIY hammock for my 6 year old, I just grabbed set of HH tree-huggers I saw in my gear pile. One tree was narrow enough so that I could pull one end through the other end's loop, and that helped. Couldn't do it on the other tree though, and that hugger was sliding around. A guy's gotta have a strap longer than 3' for this wrapping around tree thing.

Also, when I get in my hennessy, am I suppose to put my feet to the right of the entrance way, and have my head to the left? I can only sleep on my back with a hammock, any other way and my sciatic nerves gets inflamed big time, even in the hennessy, although I know I am laying flatter then in my other hammock. I do like the hammock, its great. I got it with the %20 off at REI! Thanks help in advance
    yep, that's the way you do it.

happy hanging! (and see if you can't find a decent pair of long straps!)

Grizz

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    I am using a round turn and two half-hitches to attach the webbing straps at each end of my hammock. In my (single) night of hammocking they held well and I didn't plummet earthwards at all, therefore I can confidently declare a 100% success rate.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I have used a round turn with two half-hitches a bunch of times on my HH. Usually I would use a carbiner to prevent the line from burnning through the hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I have used a round turn with two half-hitches a bunch of times on my HH. Usually I would use a carbiner to prevent the line from burnning through the hugger.
    great idea, thanks for the tip.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Incacamper View Post
    You could, I suppose, but the Hennessey lashing is so simple I never bothered to try something else. It's really just a couple-three figure-8 turns that hold the weight with a couple of half-hitches to prevent slippage -- an improved version of the round-turn-and-two-half-hitches for the application, in other words.

Also, the webbing that came with mine is the normal short one and does not let me allow to wrap the webbing around the tree.
    Unless you're hanging from slick trees (light poles? ), you don't need to wrap it completely around the tree, in my experience. You might want to lash (or tie) the hammock a little tighter, as it doesn't take much friction to keep the hugger on the side of the tree.

Also, when I get in my hennessy, am I suppose to put my feet to the right of the entrance way, and have my head to the left?
    Yep.

Thats what I had to do, lash the hammock tighter so that it would hold onto the tree. I tried originally to put the webbing up high with sag on the suspension ropes themselves, but this would cause the webbing to slide down the trees. I had to lash it tight so that the webbing wouldn't slip, I heard that this is not recommended because of the force it puts onto the trees and ridgeline, but its the only way I can do it without the straps slipping.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    HH does sell longer straps. I am thinking of getting some for the same reason. Or I may get some webbing and make my own. Haven't decided yet.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Actually, longer huggers should make zero difference. Think of how the huggers work if they're too short to go all the way around the tree -- your line still squeezes them onto the tree. The last time I hung a hammock (Claytor no-net), I used 3' huggers on huge pine trees the huggers only reached a third of the way around with no slipping. I just don't see the problem here (I'll cop to being dumb sometimes). Maybe someone could post a photo of a setup where there was slipping?

The only time I've had slippage is when one of the trees leans away from the hammock - I almost never try to wrap the Hennessy straps completely around the tree just because its much easier to adjust their height if you don't wrap. These days however I will probably completely switch to straps and a ring suppension where I use a round turn and two half hitches around the tree to hold the straps and adjust at the ring

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast