WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips

Experimenting with GossamerGear hammock pad

In the pursuit of extending my comfortable temp. range in the hammock, I purchased a GossamerGear hammock pad.

I tried it out in the hammock (and should have taken pics), but it wants to bunch up in strange ways. Imagine that, a flat pad in a curved hammock.

Anyway, I decided to try cutting the pad for a better fit.

Here's what I ended up with. It doesn't show the change as much without me in the hammock, but . . . .

I should have made the side cuts "deeper." But this did show me that these cuts improve the fit of the pad in the hammock. I think that with some refining, I could get it to lay pretty well in there.
    And I immediately noticed a drastic increase in temperature. Obviously it's not cool enough right now to REALLY test it, but this weekend in the WNC mountains, it should get down into the upper 40's at my elevation.

However . . . . the rolled up GossamerGear pad is much too large for my tastes.

It's incredibly light for its size, but . . . for motorcycle camping, packed size is more important than weight savings. I might change my tune if I was carrying all of this on my back, but . . . for now I'm not.

So . . . I may be back to looking at quilts. While their weight will definitely be greater, I imagine that something like the Mt. Washington would fit better in my bags.

Well, just wanted to share.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    In the pursuit of extending my comfortable temp. range in the hammock, I purchased a GossamerGear hammock pad.

I tried it out in the hammock (and should have taken pics), but it wants to bunch up in strange ways. Imagine that, a flat pad in a curved hammock.

Anyway, I decided to try cutting the pad for a better fit.

Here's what I ended up with. It doesn't show the change as much without me in the hammock, but . . . .

I should have made the side cuts "deeper." But this did show me that these cuts improve the fit of the pad in the hammock. I think that with some refining, I could get it to lay pretty well in there.
    And I immediately noticed a drastic increase in temperature. Obviously it's not cool enough right now to REALLY test it, but this weekend in the WNC mountains, it should get down into the upper 40's at my elevation.

However . . . . the rolled up GossamerGear pad is much too large for my tastes.

It's incredibly light for its size, but . . . for motorcycle camping, packed size is more important than weight savings. I might change my tune if I was carrying all of this on my back, but . . . for now I'm not.

So . . . I may be back to looking at quilts. While their weight will definitely be greater, I imagine that something like the Mt. Washington would fit better in my bags.

Well, just wanted to share.
    Raw,

Ref your last paragraph....Try weighing that GG pad and that full length Dam or exped etc.... I'll bet they are more than a three season UQ.... maybe even more than winter UQ.... definately bulkier than UQs.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Just curious - what's the red/burgundy blow up pad on top??

I'm off to SEHHA tomorrow and hoping I'm going to be warm enough

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    That inflatable pad is my insulated aircore BigAgnes pad.
    It fits into the sleeve on the underside of my BigAgnes sleeping bag.

My biggest problem so far has been heat loss from where the hammock compresses the loft along my upper arms and shoulders.
    And that's why I thought I'd try the GossamerGear pad.

I'll see how it does this weekend. I'm gonna hang outside of my shop near Mars Hill on Friday night.

Right here:

After that, I may head down into HotSprings for the SEHHA . . . but I may just stay up at my place.

Oh my god.

I think you just solved my problems.

Whats the temperatures you been in it so far?

And can you link me to where you bought it?

Does it come with the slits or did you add that yourself?

If so whats the measurement's for each on.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    The secret to carrying a pad like that on the bike it to run it parallel to the bike -- along the top of a saddle bag is good. Alternatively, put it into the pack strapped behind you and let it unroll inside it to serve as a sort of sleeve, then place stuff inside it. If neither works, in desperation you can fold it in half lengthwise and then roll it, forming a sort of compact drum.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, but also remember that the pad is impervious to water and so doesn't really need to be packed inside of anything. Can be just as easily strapped to the outside, where bulk is probably much less of a concern. The same most definitely cannot be said of down under quilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    I have that same GG pad; used it this weekend in my Claytor down to 48 degrees. I was only briefly chilled once and I think that was more due to not tucking my quilt around me properly and turning too often from one side to the next.

Those cuts look great, and would further reduce the weight of an almost weightless pad. Thanks for the post.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

Hey guys,I have a Hennessy Hammock Deluxe A-sym.

Which size pad should i get the Thinlight 3/8" Or the Thinlight 1/4".

Also should i get two? For my lower body? Or doe this pad cover all?

Thanks.

Code:
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pad_matrix.html

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Yes, but also remember that the pad is impervious to water and so doesn't really need to be packed inside of anything. Can be just as easily strapped to the outside, where bulk is probably much less of a concern. The same most definitely cannot be said of down under quilts.
    True, but if the ccf pad gets wet, it will need to be dried off before putting it in the hammock.
    Seams to me it would be more trouble to dry the ccf pad than to stuff an under quilt into a dry bag.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast