Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching

Newbie in search of Hammock Part 3

So this Spring Mahha I had the luxury of trying out the wonderful Blackbird. Those who know the story know that I tried this in the Fall Mahha but was unable to get comfortable due to a too high hanging of the feet. Being a total groundling and it being dark I didn't know how to fix that so I slept uncomfortably.
    This time I had Dutch set up the BB and I slept the the first night away wonderfully. Though I had wish the hammock spread out a little as the material somewhat crowed my head. Otherwise I slept excellent. Then morning came and I discovered during breakfast that I had slept in the footbox completely backwards in the hammock. Well folks if you can deal with the extra fabric near your head you can sleep either way in the BB. It is an excellent hammock and one day I may actually sleep in it properly. Who knows.
    The second night, I was able to borrow a JRB Bridge. There as a gentleman named Dennis who made a clone of the bridge but added some fabric to it. Wonderful addition and excellent tailor. Anyhow sleeping in the bridge was comfortable, I was able to leave my tarp (curiosity of Happy Camper also a JRB special) in a canopy style open on one side through the night. I woke up with a crick in my neck due to the fact I attempted to use a pillow, obviously was not needed. I was able to sleep in a side position comfortably, but try to bring my legs up into a fetal position was a little tight.
    Now I had a -10 sleeping bag in with me so that may have added to it a little. The only complaint I have was when I sat up I kept rocking side to side like I had no balance and was waiting to topple out. It is a good design and well built, but I am not sure it is for me. I would like to try out Dennis's style and see if that fits me better. All in all Bakeel said he would lend his BB to try out in my backyard, maybe I can get others to do the same for me. Tune in next time for "Newbie in search of Hammock Part 4"
    Brian D. Samosky

It's a kilt!! If it were a skirt, I'd be wearin somthin under it!!

For certain, you have to be lost to find a place as can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    – John 3:16.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If it's that difficult to find a hammock you like maybe it's better to stay on the ground.

Hammock
    Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching
    well its not that difficult, I don't get many opportunities to hike/camp anymore now that I have little ones, so I only get to try hammocks 1 or 2 times a year and I cannot see spending a decent amount of money on something until I know I will like it. So I will keep trying.
    Brian D. Samosky

For certain, you have to be lost to find a place as can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    There are few professional newbies, and Scottish Pirate is one. He's tried more hammocks than most of us, but we don't mind! He contributes to MAHHA in many ways, not the least of which is his attire, which shows he is a man of culture and thrift. Then there is his culinary skill, demonstrated this year by a delicious rum cake. If he were not such a Scot, he would have brought enough!

On the other hand, I think I will make a hammock for Brian, since it is so easy and inexpensive to put one together, and he could use it in the backyard. The biggest cost would be the $6 for shipping.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching
    Thanks Mac, that is really thoughtful of you, I would love to try that. I will admit with Iafte living so close I know that it is cheap and easy to make a hammock that is if you have skill and time which I have none in either department.
    Brian D. Samosky

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Pirate View Post
    I will admit with Iafte living so close ...
    Does he make gear?

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching
    he has made his own hammock tarp and under quilt. I believe, and his boys.
    Brian D. Samosky

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Then there is his culinary skill, demonstrated this year by a delicious rum cake. If he were not such a Scot, he would have brought enough!
    - MacEntyre

Cake? That was CAKE? Holy crap. I thought that was a bottle of rum with some flower and yeast thrown in so he could serve it in slices, since cups were at a premium.

• + New Posts