Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DangerBird "68" vs. WBBB 1.1d

I had not heard of Papa-Smurf, Dream Hammock or a DangerBird until I went to the Washington Mid-Winter Hang in February 2012. (If you don't want to get sucked down the rabbit hole, then stay away from these group hang things!). Mugs and BlueSkies both had DBs, which were 'custom' sized (no set pattern then) and they were both raving mad about their rigs. I caved in and ordered a DB 72 a couple of months ago, after Randy announced the longer length. I got a Black DB 72 order & the second one I decided to get in digital camo (after seeing that someone else on here had this color). Randy contacted me and advised that the fabric only came in a 68" width. As the DB 60 is 60" wide & the DB 72 is 72" wide, it seems like this should be a DB 68. I'll post some more comments & photos as I get time.

To give you a little background, I'm about 5'7" and 190. I have 2 ENO Doubles, 5 Kammoks, a GT Double, and then I've had a few more bought & sold. I've found that - for me - the longer the length of the hammock, the more comfortable the lay.

I purchased both a WBBB 1.1d & a 1.7d over a year ago. They allowed backpacking/camping in buggy weather. In use I found that I preferred my WBBB 1.1d over my WBBB 1.7d. I purchased another 1.1d a few months later.

I love the "shelf" feature of the WBBBs and I find that the straps & buckles are very convienent to use. The 'footbox' was innovative. After using them for awhile, I noticed some things that I didn't like. I found the color selection a bit to be desired (green or green? grey or gray?). After a while, I noticed that I didn't like not having a view on the shelf side (you have to set them up for your "view" when you initially hang). I noticed that the interior dimensions seemed a little cramped, after using my ENO's and Kammok. For me, I found that I had some calf pressure issues with the WBBBs. It took a lot of fiddling for me to get rid of it. I usually end up with a pillow or pack under my knees to help alleviate this. I found that I had more calf pressure issues with the 1.7d; to the point that I sold the 1.7 a few weeks ago to a friend. I found that when using an UQ, it frequently slid around on my WBBBs. I sewed on some loops along the length of my WBBBs to hold my UQs in place. I think that Brandon could improve the design of the WBBB, but his sales are good enough that he doesn't need to. I'd suggest adding about 1' in length & putting some loops along the length for attachment points for UQ's or... That being said, I still really like my WBBBs and take them out frequently for my kids to use.

I also have a TTTG SwitchBack 1.1d in blue. In use, I found it to be more comfortable than my WBBB 1.1d. It is odd in that it actually hangs better when stretched tight between trees, as opposed to the preferred '30* angle' of most hammocks.

I don't usually like camo, but it's been growing on me. 1st a camo ULA Catalyst and now a digital camo DB. When I opened the package, I really liked the digital camo. The bottom is a double layer. When the layers overlap, they give you an interplay between the two patterns, that cause more shades of camo, which vary as you move!

I had about an hour to try out my DB 68 tonight. My initial impression is that the DangerBird by Dream Hammocks is an creative, thoughtful design.

It feels HUGE inside. Size wise, it feels similar to my Kammoks. I can really get a diagonal lay & it is more comfortable than my WBBB when laying on my side. It looks like Randy puts in a lot of attention to the details; very neat & tidy seams & stitching.

There are several thoughtful features that were included. Instead of a shelf, there was a mesh pocket along the ridgline. There were two pockets on each side & then ends opened up for storage along the entire length. Not as much storage as the WBBB shelf, but it's more visible, movable & easier to find items. Randy used reflective tie outs on the sides, whoopie slings on both ends (heavy duty Amsteel along with a bead sewn in!), he included tree straps, a bishop bag and all of the zippers had reflective pulls on both the inside & outside. In addition, there were reflective loops sewn in along the length for stabizing a UQ. In fact, several of the upgrades that I think should be on WBBBs (granted, the DB is about an extra $50 in a double layer).

There are a couple of trade-offs that I noticed in use in comparison to my WBBB. I miss the double ended zipper. Which is to say that I liked having two zippers meeting in the middle (WBBB), where you could have both meet at your feet or your head or anywhere in between. With the DB, you trade this 'versatility' for having only one zipper which has to be closed all the way at the end. The trade off for this is that you can have a bug net or an overcover in use. When using the bug net, it zips along both sides of the ridgeline, allowing viewing out either side of the hammock. When using the overcover, it also zips in along both side of the ridgeline, but from the other end. When not in use, the bug net, overcover or both will stuff into a built-in stuff sack (one on each end). The DB is definitely larger in the bishop bag and weighs more than a WBBB. This is of no consequence to me, as I'll almost always take comfort in my sleep system over weight.

When both the bug net and overcover were stowed, the DB felt similar to my Kammok, but wider. It also had a built-in ridgeline. I could feel the breeze running across my skin, cooling. When the bug net was up, it cut down on the breeze, maybe adding 5* in warmth, by somewhat forstalling the convection of heat. The ridgeline was up higher than on my WBBBs (due to the extra length of the hammock), which made it feel much bigger inside. When the bug net was stowed and the overcover was in use, it felt like about a 10* increase in warmth. I don't think that the overcover would add much to wet weather protection, but it would definitely be a boon in the coolness of fall or winter. When deployed without the side tie-outs in use, I noticed that the fabric on the sides was very loose. Similar to the Snipe, but without the bungee. I think that this will be eliminated when I use the tie-outs.

My initial impression is that I like my DB 68d better than my WBBB 1.1d. It has a lot more room, great outfitting, will allow for a greater temperature range & I don't have the calf pressure issues.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    ^^^^^^Ditto on just about everything Boomer said.

I even got a custom made lefty WBBB 1.7 thinking that I had major calf issues and was just all around uncomfortable because I prefer to lay lefty, but I still have the same issues with the WBBB. But thats ok, because my little wife of 5ft3 and medium/petite build loves the thing. And Brandon does make a good hammock..so nothing against him at all...which I am sure we all would agree upon

The minute I got in the DB it was an instant hit. And mine is before Randy had Dream Hammock so it is a 120x60 single. I don't mind the one way zipper but for me when I zip it up I get a decrease in lay angle which them makes me un-comfy to a degree, I am 6ft1in and 220. My DB and WBBB weigh the same (ok, ok the WBBB is 1 ounce lighter.) The DB is my new go to hammock and has been for almost a year now. I love the thing, and smile every time I get in it, and that is what a hammock is suppose to do...make you smile.

I also like how forgiving the DB is. You don't have to set it up just perfect to get a comfortable lay. It can be a little loose, or a little too tight and it will still be comfy. VS the WBBB was a constant tweak fest to get it just right, and even then, I was still un-comfy most of the time. I sure couldn't sleep all the way through the night like I can in my DB.

Your right about length...its not width that makes a hammock more comfortable, its the length.

Enjoy your new DB...hope to see you again in the winter, BTW I live in Federal Way now, and work in Burien.
    Last edited by mugs; 07-07-2012 at 04:03.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Thanks for this comparison of both the DB and WBBB. Its just what i wanted to read as I was considering a DB in the not so distant future.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL, 1.1SL traveler
    Tarp
    Edgespin,HGcubenPL
    Insulation
    HG Custom's x10
    Suspension
    Slings
    Whats the weight of that DB?
    Ultralite Gear and Apparel

Lukesultralite.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by lukesteg View Post
    Whats the weight of that DB?
    I've done 2 like this so far. 31.85 oz & 32.05 oz.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

Thanks for the great comparison

DB 72's are showing up in my only one thread without reasons why they are loved. This a great comparison to my beloved WBBB. Sounds like a great setup. Must resist, must resist temptation.....

Andy

traveler

How does the dangerbird stack up when compared to the traveler. Seems like it would be more comparable

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by brucky View Post
    How does the dangerbird stack up when compared to the traveler. Seems like it would be more comparable
    ??

papa smurf also makes topless hammocks, but the dangerbird comes ready with integrated no-see-um & ripstop covers, both able to be zipped away or used independently, pending atmospheric conditions. 1 of the best out there IMHO
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Great comparison with a lot of info. I am curious though how the switchback compared to the DB in your testing. You mentioned that it was more comfortable than the WBBB but did not compare it to the SB. I've tried out the Switch Backs in Hot Springs and have been thinking about getting the light hiker. Just curious how the two compare.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Photos

Here are a few photos from the last couple of days...
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast