Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images

Location Tracking

I'm setting up a blog through wordpress for my impending nomadic stint (I leave Tuesday!). I've been looking for something that will easily track my location. I've been playing around with google latitude, and it will do what I want, but only for those on a friends list. I can't seem to find a way for just anyone to see where I am.

Now, Google Latitude does have this "badge" thing that I can put as a widget on my blog...but for some reason wordpress only lets part of it show. And there's no way to click through to a larger version.

Does anyone have a better option for this kind of thing?
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The "Spot" device keeps a record of where you are and allows people to access it on the web. I don't know how it works or whats involved but I have seen references to it. I'm sure some one around has used it. I know some the thru hikers from the forums have used it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The "Spot" device keeps a record of where you are and allows people to access it on the web. I don't know how it works or whats involved but I have seen references to it. I'm sure some one around has used it. I know some the thru hikers from the forums have used it.
    Thanks for the info--I'll keep it in mind. I am sort of looking for something that won't involve an extra expenditure...something I can easily update online, so I can do it when I post to my blog.
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a SPOT, and it does indeed do what you're looking for. It shows your position in real time, it also has a tracking mode, in which the device sends your position every ten minutes. On the website you can set up a shared page that you can link to from your blog, and the positions are stored up to 30 days.

It's also integrated with Facebook now, so when you press the OK button, it publishes a clickable link on your profile with your current position.

Downsides? It's pricey. The device itself is $170, and basic service for one year (without tracking) is another $100. Basic service with tracking is $150. If you opt for the "pay-the-bill-for-the-helicopter-pickup" insurance (third-party), that is yet another $11.

But if you have it with you, your friends and loved ones will have peace of mind everytime you press ok. I know mine have.

Read more on http://www.findmespot.com/
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    ...on the other hand...if you're hiking somewhere with enough coverage to blog and use your cellphone, you probably don't really need a SPOT. Its real value is for hikes far, far away from cell phone towers.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    ...on the other hand...if you're hiking somewhere with enough coverage to blog and use your cellphone, you probably don't really need a SPOT. Its real value is for hikes far, far away from cell phone towers.
    I use AT&T...so I probably will wish I had a SPOT for a fairly large portion of my travels. Or just a different carrier. :P

I might pick up a prepaid phone for emergencies, maybe with Verizon. However, lest my alarmist tendencies derail my own thread, that's another topic altogether.
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    If you want to kill a few birds with one stone you can get a PN-60 from Delorme. It is a good GPS device with SPOT built in.
    (WM)===:::

• + New Posts