Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Contrarian Point of View

I don't like clutter...there are more than enough forums to keep up with now.

Unless/until someone can articulate a real problem that cries for solution, I'm happy with the status quo.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    So this is just my opinion on the matter, but wouldn't hammocking in the yard/on the boat/on the porch be considered an "Outing" since you are outside of your house? Therefore that discussion of how well you slept last night could go in the Trip Report subforum. And everything else really could just go under General Hammock Talk forum. There is nothing that states the discussion there (or really anywhere here) must involve heading into the woods.
    In case you have not noticed, the "General Hammock Talk" forum is under the "Hammock Camping" category.
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't like clutter...there are more than enough forums to keep up with now.
    I could understand this, if in terms of being moderated. On one hand we could say there aren't very many of us and we can just use the regular forum areas. Using the same argument, we could say there aren't very many of us so the area wont require much moderation.

I think this is one of those odd situations. No one should be dispensing structural advise without an indepth knowledge of the end users home/hanging area structure. Liability being what it is. To that same note, I think some of that is displayed when we give advise about outdoor stands or hanging from XX rope or webbing. Only you can be sure of what you are doing. I think there should be a blanket tag on here specifically directed at newer hangers to learn from the forums but be sure you have a direct understanding of what you are doing before you do it.

IKEA sells many items that you must hang your self. Their packaging informs you to purchase your own hardware and to be sure of how you hang it.

However, I think talk about brand, type, warming or cooling techniques and a place to share pics an tips would be cool and is very different than say the UL hiking/camping crowd.

Just my $5.00 lol
    Last edited by TFC Rick; 07-25-2011 at 10:58.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    In case you have not noticed, the "General Hammock Talk" forum is under the "Hammock Camping" category.
    If that's the sticking point of the discussion, then I propose that the category "Hammock Camping" simply be renamed "Hammocking". None of the forums currently under the "Hammock Camping" category pertain strictly to hammocking in the wilderness. I need a suspension and insulation where ever I hang, inside or out. If I set up in my yard, or on my porch I need Bug netting and weather protection. I've been in homes here in the south where you'd need bug netting indoors even. If it's the word camping that's causing the issue, then why not just get rid of it. We have the "Outings" category separate to discuss getting out doors, so that's covered.

I just don't see creating another subforum just for hanging a hammock at home as worthwhile. It creates more work for the mods and it won't stop people from asking how to best hang inside of their home. I can understand why people would like a separate place to discuss year round/full time hammocking from discussions of trekking through the bush to find the perfect vista with 2 trees to hang from. But really this site isn't about the way people get to where they hang, it's about how they hang.

If I go and hang my hammock in my backyard between the 1 tree I have and the old power pole in my backyard is that really any different than if I went to the lake and strung it up between 2 trees? Or if I hung it from eye bolts connected to rafters in my ceiling, the only difference is the scenery? No matter where I'm at I'm still relaxing and enjoying my hammock. Whether I'm cooled by the breeze or by my air conditioner I'm still hanging.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    If that's the sticking point of the discussion, then I propose that the category "Hammock Camping" simply be renamed "Hammocking".
    That sounds like a great idea.
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

I like this idea. Finding information on indoor hammocks is the reason I joined this forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123