WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    for 38 degrees, on the cheap you could make a Poncho Liner UQ. But you'd have to add some insulation to it... weight? about 20oz by the time you're done. a pad (ok, you'd need 2) would be the lighest/cheapest option.

Walmart has a wide (24") waffle pad that would probably work great for you.

The reason you need a wide pad is for your shoulders. The hammock wraps around you, compressing insulation on your shoulders and hips. If you took a pad, and laid another short piece that's wider for your shoulders, you could avoid that situation...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Wish you had answered my question but it's all right. I agree with the others, the space blanket won't be THAT much help. Before I got a sock I sometimes used one by laying it in the hammock, putting my sleeping bag in there, and wrapping it over the top to create a little half-assed sock effect. Blocked some wind, maybe captured and reflected a little heat I don't know. I really didn't consider this a major component in my sleep system though.

When backpacking I normally use a 15 degree Eureka Casper synthetic insulated bag. At 6'-3' around 240 lbs I'm a big guy but not so big as you. With that sleeping bag I can go to 38F with no problems, no supplemental bottom insulation necessary. Some will say this is impossible, don't know what to tell you except my THEORY is, the lack of compressibility that "down fans" decry in synthetic bags actually works FOR the bag in this case. Also I'm a fairly "warm sleeper". I don't think this would work as well with a down 15 bag, but I don't have one so I can't say for sure.

Same bag will take me a little below 30 in comfort with just a torso-sized CCF pad. If it got anywhere near the 15 degree rating of the bag, yeah I'd freeze my *** off. Actually this is true even if I was using my UQ, the Casper just isn't that true to it's rating.

Anyways, while I do LOVE my UQ (and would probably love a down UQ that much more), CCF pads are probably the best "bang for the buck" and right in there for "bang for the weight", so don't dismiss them out of hand.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    First, we need to be clear a space blanket isn't insulation, it is a reflective vapor barrier. At temps approaching freezing you are gonna need more th
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 03-31-2012 at 09:44.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post
    Any advice on brand/style of 'biners?
    I think the camp nano 23 biner and the Metolius FS mini biners are the smallest and lightest climbing rated ones around. The Metolius biners are a tad smaller than the Camp nanos.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any advice on brand/style of 'biners?
    I guess that depends on what type of biner. I have dozens of these:

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...0-PK-p905.html

For actually hanging the hammock, I used a 20% discount at REI and got these:

http://www.rei.com/product/733586/bl...k-package-of-6

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Binre advice:

Thanks guys, that got me started as far as what to look for and investigate.

Ordered up a couple that should be here tomorrow to replace the lighter ones that came with the Roo.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Finally got a chance to get this thing up in a tree and I gotta say I'm in love with my Kammok Roo. This is the first hammock I have ever owned so I don't have too much frame of reference but this thing is great.

I replaced the 'biners that came with it with Mad Rock Ultralight Bent Wiregate Carabiners and am using the Kammock Python straps.

After watching all of the setup videos I've found through here and reading all of the discussions about angle of hang, value of different sags, etc... I was able to be relaxing in it in less than 2 minutes of opening the package, first time. Putting it away took about the same amount of time.

I'm working out some of the details of ordering a HG 20* Incubator so that should be along shortly too. I'm excited to see how the new suspension setup works for the UQ. Sounds like it's simple and effective. Right up my alley. Does anybody have any thoughts on the "Overfill". Seems to me like it weighs next to nothing and could be really helpful in terms of warmth and keeping wind out. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for all of your help. You've made a hanger out of this 6'6" 300 pound former tent lover.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Does anybody have any thoughts on the "Overfill". Seems to me like it weighs next to nothing and could be really helpful in terms of warmth and keeping wind out. What do you guys think?
    I purchased a 40° Incubator with 2oz overfill. I figured for a small price I could get some peace of mind and maybe a lower rating. I've slept down to 33° with this very comfortably with a long underwear base layer. I'm anxious to test it next winter into the upper 20s just to see. I would say I'm in between, but closer to, a cold sleeper so I like to think the overfill is helping me stay warmer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12