Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe I over simplified the whole idea too much, but so far this is what I've been using. I may go to a slightly longer arrow shaft (this one is only 2.25"), but using fairly short tree straps (4') I'll probably never have to use a Marlin Spike Hitch. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I like it because the Whoopie's adjust very easily and it's very simple to use.

In case anyone's wondering what the black is on the arrow shaft, it's a ring of narrow tape from something I was working on and changed my mind... never took it off.

I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Maybe I over simplified the whole idea too much, but so far this is what I've been using. I may go to a slightly longer arrow shaft (this one is only 2.25"), but using fairly short tree straps (4') I'll probably never have to use a Marlin Spike Hitch. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I like it because the Whoopie's adjust very easily and it's very simple to use.

In case anyone's wondering what the black is on the arrow shaft, it's a ring of narrow tape from something I was working on and changed my mind... never took it off.

That will work just fine. What the Marlin spike hitch gives you is the ability to put that toggle wherever you want, e.g. right up against the tree when the span between trees is on the short side.

For example, you'll be at the Velvet Rocks shelter later this week. Can you hang across the width of the shelter from the rafters using your webbing with toggles so placed? I could just do it with the Marlin Spike toggles cinched up against the rafters.

cheers
    Grizz

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Quoddy for your picture. It really does look simple. I assume like the Marlin Spike there is no force placed on the arrow shaft? Would your set up work with Easton Stakes?

Thanks Grizz for the video! I saw you using the Easton Stakes and I carry two extra just in case. Now I can use them for my suspension and not feel like they are wasted weight. (sometimes I camp in locations with no trees. I carry the extra stakes to set up my tarp)

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dstenberg1 View Post
    Thanks Quoddy for your picture. It really does look simple. I assume like the Marlin Spike there is no force placed on the arrow shaft? Would your set up work with Easton Stakes?

Thanks Grizz for the video! I saw you using the Easton Stakes and I carry two extra just in case. Now I can use them for my suspension and not feel like they are wasted weight. (sometimes I camp in locations with no trees. I carry the extra stakes to set up my tarp)
    But if you have to use them with your hammock setup they are no longer extra and no longer available to use with the tarp if needed.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Here's a good document that details how to tie the marlin hitch:

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/marlin.pdf

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dstenberg1 View Post
    Would your set up work with Easton Stakes?
    Should work as well, if not better than the arrow shafts.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Hey guys,
    This might seem like some bonehead questions but....would it be possible, (and would you even want to do it) attach the Hammock Whoopie sling AND the Tarp-ridgeline to the same toggle at the same time?
    Could you use Speer No-tangle line for the Full ridgeline using Prussik knots to attach and center the tarp? Can the Speer No-tangle line be rigged in a Whoopie sling configuration with a dead-eye in one end and then tighten the Tarp ridgeline by pulling at the other end? Will the ridgeline stay tight and will the Prussik knots keep from slipping on the ridgeline?
    Would it also be able to obtain the proper angle and the required Hammock ridgeline taughtness for the WBBB?
    Whew, I know that was allot, sorry!
    Maybe this should have been a new thread.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Hey guys,
    This might seem like some bonehead questions but....would it be possible, (and would you even want to do it) attach the Hammock Whoopie sling AND the Tarp-ridgeline to the same toggle at the same time?
    Could you use Speer No-tangle line for the Full ridgeline using Prussik knots to attach and center the tarp? Can the Speer No-tangle line be rigged in a Whoopie sling configuration with a dead-eye in one end and then tighten the Tarp ridgeline by pulling at the other end? Will the ridgeline stay tight and will the Prussik knots keep from slipping on the ridgeline?
    Would it also be able to obtain the proper angle and the required Hammock ridgeline taughtness for the WBBB?
    Whew, I know that was allot, sorry!
    Maybe this should have been a new thread.
    I think you could tie both the hammock and the tarp to the same toggle but IME the hammock will sag so much that there is too much distance to the tarp above. So you may lose some of the protection the tarp provides in more inclement weather.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well, I can attest that using small sticks off the ground to form a toggle along with with a Marlin Spike hitch works great. I had sticks that were about the width of my little finger, and were dry enough that I could snap them fairly easily. I used them for a night of hanging last weekend in the Galiuros, and they worked like a champ. I guess the only concern would be if the strap compression were enough to shred the wood. I'm certainly feeling more comfortable with this whole concept. Thanks to all.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Hey Stoikurt,
    yeah I wondered if the hammock would sag away from the tarp too much. Definetely not what you would want when rigging the tarp for protection in the first place.
    Thankee

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast