Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottO View Post
    Could you eliminate the rings in this set up and use a prusik knot to attach the amsteeled ends of the hammock to the main line?

I think the bugger that most run into with prusiks is that you need to prusik a smaller line to a larger (main support) line. It'll work, but then you're carrying heavier main suspension line, offsetting the benefit....cruel, cruel world...
    Or just wrap the prusik an extra turn or two to increase the surface for "bite". The problem arises when the prusik material can't turn tight enough for the smaller diameter line. An extra turn will help with that.
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I didn't think it did, that would help!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoroth View Post
    I'll answer the one I know.

It doesn't. In my limited experience with AmSteel it's pretty much steel cable in disguise.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Dynaglide? 1.75 mm is rated over 1K #'s, would be smaller than a 7/64th's SLS wouldn/t it?

Could you eliminate the rings in this set up and use a prusik knot to attach the amsteeled ends of the hammock to the main line?

I think the bugger that most run into with prusiks is that you need to prusik a smaller line to a larger (main support) line. It'll work, but then you're carrying heavier main suspension line, offsetting the benefit....cruel, cruel world...

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor patches View Post
    1) Descender rings are how you adjust the angle of your hang. They're an improvised cinch buckle that go taught under tension. For a diagonal hang you want about 30* between the drape of your hammock and parallel with the ground. Easy way to approximate is to take your index finger and thumb and make a "gun" or the letter "L", the angle from your thumb (vertical) and index finger (horizontal) is about 30*.
    In an earlier post someone state with with SLS the 30* rule of thumb did not really apply. I'm guessing that's due to the drop from the rings and the fact that the majority of the hangers weight is not transmitted thru the hammock. I'm thinking that the physics of the SLS is much more like a clothesline, i.e. the clothes or weight hanging from 2 support point from the weight bearing line and the traditional hammock hang method with/out a ridge line would be like trying to hang a wet shirt from a broken clothesline. The weight of the wet garment would not allow the use of clothes pins and require a more secure method of attachment since the weight is being transmitted thru the garment.

2) if you're at 5' and you're still hitting the ground, adjust your angle by shortening your suspension.
    I did that by a couple of inches and I think I gained a fraction of that in clearance. And since I found a very comfortable channel and I was so close to the floor I thought that would be a good place to leave it since a flaw in my workmanship would only drop me a few inches!!

4) I'm not sure if SLS changes anything, most people have their hammock anchor higher than their tarps.
    Is there a rule of thumb as to how much higher?

5) tie little tails onto the ridgeline, outside of how you're connecting the tarp to the RL, to direct water away. But this shouldn't happen much with a tarp line as it should be fairly straight, the hammock suspension will trail water a lot more.[/QUOTE]

THANKS!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    You're right with SLS for your hammock, the line will sag. No idea how to get the proper angle other than by trial and error, or measure the angle of the attachment point to a parallel from the ground. Another thing you could do is keep a ridgeline attached to the two ends as a "guide" for your angle, this would be useful for SLS and traditional suspension.

No rule of thumb for the gap. It depends on your angle of hang. Some people hang at a higher angle, or if you use SLS you will need to anchor higher to compensate for the sag, etc. The length of the space between anchor trees will impact this as well. It's a bit of trial and error to figure out your specific setup.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Dynaglide? 1.75 mm is rated over 1K #'s, would be smaller than a 7/64th's SLS wouldn/t it?
    Yep...that's smaller. I think it could work, but I would be concious about what knots you use. I might recommend checking out the double dragon knot for making loops- I think it weakens line less than other knots.

Keep in mind too the load sharing quality of SLS. Not sure what your set up is, but with my SLS, I have "two" lines on each side of the hammock sharing the load (one going from hammock up to treehugger, then its coming back down to hammock before crossing over). More food for thought

Images
    Or just wrap the prusik an extra turn or two to increase the surface for "bite". The problem arises when the prusik material can't turn tight enough for the smaller diameter line. An extra turn will help with that.
    True, but amsteel and dynaglide are slick materials. If you hang a taut line then try to keep a hammock in place, my guess is that the knots will start to slide towards each other, even with an extra wrap.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    True, but amsteel and dynaglide are slick materials. If you hang a taut line then try to keep a hammock in place, my guess is that the knots will start to slide towards each other, even with an extra wrap.
    I wouldn't use prusiks to hang a hammock on a SLS, I'd use descender ring or some other hardware to hang it. That way the hardware is mechanically binding the material and won't slip.

Hammock
    HammockBliss Triple
    Suspension
    Single Line
    Actually I've found both constrictor & klemheist to work quite well on sls.

http://www.animatedknots.com/klemheist/klemheist.jpg

my constrictor based sls with klemheist backups

Perhaps in the mad scramble for sexy light weightness I and everyone else has forgotten the most important function of gear – not that it must weight nothing, look good and be cheap, but that it must keep you alive and increases your survivability.
    -Andy Kirkpatrick

quite nice!

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast