Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Is it wrong then to help someone by sewing a BlackCat or MacCat clone for them? I'm talking about helping out our online/hiking/hammocking buddies who don't happen to sew.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I think that is the grey area. I don't see a problem with helping someone out like that. I have made a few things for other people. I think my issue would be starting production without the consent of the designer.
    I agree helping someone out who doesn't sew is fine as long as no profit is made. If I could sew and was in the position to help someone I would do it as long as they provided the materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    The making of one or two for a friend is one thing. Making them for others when Brian is unavailable is a totally different animal. I am a firm believer in If a man makes it and sells it then it is his product, patented or no. I wouldn't want someone else producing for others an idea I came up with. A man takes pride in his business. A sense of accomplishment is felt when someone tells them I want one of what you have cause I hear its the best. I just can't accept another man's praise.
    I would expect the person doing the helping to not make it a habit. Making one or two would be fine in my book but anything above that would in my opinion be encroaching on the original marketers turf.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Brian, I'll be the first reiterate what others say about what a fantastic product you make, and I thank you for sharing your design with folks like BB and the greater community as a whole. It speaks volumes that you are willing to spend some time to read and respond here in these forums. So, thank you.

Images
    I don't want to sound greedy or anything, but If I put an order in for a deluxe MacCat tonight or tomorrow, when should it arrive? I have a 5 day backpacking trip in the end of June, and was wondering if it would be done by then. Thanks again for everything you do.

Scottie
    When people say camping is for sissys, what does that make them....?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I didn't see anyone being heavyhanded just for discussing the issue - folks were just stating opinions. (Some of us...like me...have pretty strong opinions! ) We don't have morality police here...live your life as you will. But we all live with the consequences of each others' decisions....just a matter of scale.

In this case, I think most of the previous comments sum up what I think. Helping a buddy with a DIY project is one thing. Selling someone else's design for profit is different. Whether they're part of this community or not, the principle is the same.

I'm just glad that so many in this community seem to agree. Doesn't mean I won't share a beer (or a coke, slowhike ) with folks who disagree with me on whatever issue. We'll just talk about something else...like underquilts vs pads.

Thanks for posting, Brian.

Time to let this thread wither? Or at least get back to MacCats and away from patents and morality?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by specialscott97 View Post
    I don't want to sound greedy or anything, but If I put an order in for a deluxe MacCat tonight or tomorrow, when should it arrive? I have a 5 day backpacking trip in the end of June, and was wondering if it would be done by then. Thanks again for everything you do.

Scottie
    Best bet would be to email Brian at; [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I didn't see anyone being heavyhanded just for discussing the issue - folks were just stating opinions. (Some of us...like me...have pretty strong opinions! ) We don't have morality police here...live your life as you will. But we all live with the consequences of each others' decisions....just a matter of scale.

In this case, I think most of the previous comments sum up what I think. Helping a buddy with a DIY project is one thing. Selling someone else's design for profit is different. Whether they're part of this community or not, the principle is the same.

I'm just glad that so many in this community seem to agree. Doesn't mean I won't share a beer (or a coke, slowhike ) with folks who disagree with me on whatever issue. We'll just talk about something else...like underquilts vs pads.

Thanks for posting, Brian.

Time to let this thread wither? Or at least get back to MacCats and away from patents and morality?
    I agree lets get this back onto a great product MacCats.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I just ordered a MacCat. No hurry Brian, I have a SG camo that I like very much and will be glad to use until the MacCat arrives.

Hammock
    Single Bliss, in green!
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Marmot bag.
    Wow, I didn't mean to start all this trouble when I made my post.

I understand that Brian makes a one of a kind product that has a backorder status unless you want to DIY. What had me worried was that I didn't get a reply to my emails until I posted here and the time frame I was given expired without a tarp arriving. I think that quoting a six week lead time instead of two or three would be a big help. Then again if I had a little more patience it would of helped also.

Omni

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No worries, Omni...sharing situations like yours is one of the reasons for this forum! Sometimes we (well, me ) just get out of hand quibbling over little things...it's all good.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Single Bliss, in green!
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Marmot bag.
    Received my tarp in the mail today.

Omni

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Received my tarp in the mail today.

Omni
    Sweet, Omni. Get any air under it yet? What do you think? I saw my first MacCat at the SEHHA Hangout in April and it was a VERY nice piece of gear. I'm looking forward to getting my sewing skills up and running so that I can make a clone (Sorry, Brian, but I got the DIY bug and it's killing me) with a few modifications that I have planned.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast