Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's

Which cuben tarp fabric would you pick?

CT1k.08 seems to be the fabric the cottage guys make there tarps out of (.52 oz) but CT1k.18 is more weather resistant for 3 grams more weight (.61 oz) and the price point per meter seems to be about the same what would you buy?

~Brad~

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I like the cuben that Lawson Equipment is using:

We use a yellowish green (chartreuse) reflective CTF3 cuben fiber material that weighs .81oz per square yard. This material is very similar to the standard .75oz CT2K.08 that other companies use but it has a reflective metalized film on the bottom side. The reflective nature of the material helps to reflect sunlight so you don't roast when its hot out and helps to reflect your body heat so you don't freeze when its cold out.

(taken from website)

It seems interesting.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    That's neat stuff and only a dollar more a meter but puts you into the high 26 grams per meter range I'd like to stay in the the 17 to low 20's (20-23).

I'm thinking I might go with the CT1k.18 just because it's got a better film and they have a really nice dark 'olive drab' in stock right now.

At nearly 10 yards hopefully I can make a few tarps out of it, haven't decided on a pattern yet tho

seems like the cuben I have seen is "see through". that doesn't lead to much privacy when changing clothes at a boy scout campout. any thoughts on the privacy nature of cuben?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    seems like the cuben I have seen is "see through". that doesn't lead to much privacy when changing clothes at a boy scout campout. any thoughts on the privacy nature of cuben?
    There's nothing like a good "moon" in the evening!

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    Cuben can come in darker colors the one I'm looking at is a very dark green. While it's still a bit see-through it's not like the stuff Zpacks shows. I've attached a picture of the materiel I'm thinking about its the one on the right.

For a scout trip I probably would go with a good silnylon tarp over cuben just because it's completely opaque, yea it's a bit heaver but most scout trips are half car camping to start with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I like the cuben that Lawson Equipment is using:

We use a yellowish green (chartreuse) reflective CTF3 cuben fiber material that weighs .81oz per square yard. This material is very similar to the standard .75oz CT2K.08 that other companies use but it has a reflective metalized film on the bottom side. The reflective nature of the material helps to reflect sunlight so you don't roast when its hot out and helps to reflect your body heat so you don't freeze when its cold out.

(taken from website)

It seems interesting.
    The material in the description above is so similar to the CT1K.18 that I bought from Cubic Tech that I PMd Lawson to ask him if if it was indeed the same. He hasn't had time to get back to me yet, and I haven't asked Cubic Tech if they have used the same yellow/silver coloring in other weights. A comparison of the weights of similar Cubic Tech products suggests that it is indeed a special type of CT2K.08.

I chose CT1K.18 because my experience with CT.6K.08 suggests that the strength of the dyneema fibers is adequate (though I did bump it up to 1K) and the polyester laminate (.08) could be a bit thicker (.18). That's just a guess about the polyester thickness, though. My CT.6K.08 tarp is in continual use, and is performing well.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    I'm thinking the same thing WV - CT1K.18 from Cubic Tech.

~~~~

I went ahead and e-mailed Cubic Tech back and went with the CT1K.18 it turns out it's a bit cheaper and comes in black (at the moment).

~Brad~
    Last edited by bradclarkston; 08-10-2011 at 14:30.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bradclarkston View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing WV - CT1K.18 from Cubic Tech.

~~~~

I went ahead and e-mailed Cubic Tech back and went with the CT1K.18 it turns out it's a bit cheaper and comes in black (at the moment).

~Brad~
    Is there a different website listing the available forms of cuben other than this one ... http://www.cubictechnology.com/CTF3%...7192010_4c.pdf

I'm working up to a DIY cuben tarp and want to explore all my options. I am leaning toward the CT1K.08
    That is what Sgt Rock used in his recent and excellent video.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Is there a different website listing the available forms of cuben other than this one ... http://www.cubictechnology.com/CTF3%...7192010_4c.pdf

I'm working up to a DIY cuben tarp and want to explore all my options. I am leaning toward the CT1K.08
    That is what Sgt Rock used in his recent and excellent video.
    I don't think so. Your inclusion of the link above makes this thread the most inclusive single source of information on the web, and it's far from complete. I still suggest figuring out as precisely as you can what you need and then calling Cubic Tech to ask what they have that might not be listed. As they say, "contact us for more information."

Based on my experience with CT.6K.08, I would say that Sgt. Rock made an excellent choice, and we know that he will give it plenty of testing and let us know how it fares. It's too soon to know if the weight penalty I'm paying for the thicker polyester layers of CT1K.18 is worth it. "You pays your money and you takes your choice." (Incidentally, the silver/yellow material I got was cheaper than expected, < $20/m.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast