Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marpat Hammock and Tarps

Hi all, I finally have had the time to post the projects I have finished (almost) so far. I started out by making amsteel whoopies and tree straps but then graduated to a gathered end hammock then an asym tarp and finally a cat cut hex tarp. I still have a blackbird clone, winter tarp, quilts, backpack, etc. in the mix but thought I'd post what I have done already. I still want to add some side pullouts to both tarps because there is some extra fabric in the body of the tarps when pulled taught. I've had it done for a while but have been recovering from a dislocated shoulder so sorry if some of the pics are a bit blurry. Here they are:

The brown in the tarp is actually a lot darker than in the pics and it is also not as shiny. one thing that I have noticed is that when it is pulled taught, the holes that the thread go through become enlarged and you can see through them a bit. Is this normal?

Pics of the fabric:
    Last edited by Mac_48; 09-02-2012 at 22:49.

Images
    Nice!! I especially like the hex tarp. What is the. Fabric?

The tarp material is 1.9 oz. p/u coated ripstop:
    http://www.efabricsupplier.com/product_p/45.htm

The hammock material is plain polyester:
    http://www.efabricsupplier.com/product_p/248.htm

They also have 1.6 oz. p/u coated ACU ripstop:
    http://www.efabricsupplier.com/product_p/246.htm

Weights:

Asym tarp: 19.07 oz.

Hex Tarp: 32.05 oz

Hammock: 18.66 oz.

I know that those are a bit heavy but I wanted something easy to work with on my first projects because I have never sewn before. I will be creating a second set of lighter tarps and hammocks after I finish the winter tarp and blackbird clone using my remaining fabric. The hammock material is surprisingly wind resistant compared to my ENO DN and it only slightly stretches even under my 280 lbs. with a single layer hammock.
    Last edited by Mac_48; 09-02-2012 at 23:14.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Nice work. The Marpat looks great!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Looks sweet brother. I want a hammock like that with the knotty mod and a cat cut tarp in orange and camo( reversable )

Jeremy
    Last edited by TheCoyote; 09-03-2012 at 14:02.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks great! I like the cat cut due to the better coverage. That's a nice set up you've put together. Don't forget to seal those seams.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Thanks for all the replies I am a bit nervous about the asym tarp because of the slack and how to adjust for that when I do the sil version though. It might have to do with the fact that it is a solid piece of fabric instead of two pieces sewn together at the ridgeline, but idk. I also don't know how I am going to do the side pull outs because I had a lot of trouble lining up the webbing when it was on the edge of the tarp, which is a lot easier than when I try to do it in the middle of the tarp.....

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac_48 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies I am a bit nervous about the asym tarp because of the slack and how to adjust for that when I do the sil version though. It might have to do with the fact that it is a solid piece of fabric instead of two pieces sewn together at the ridgeline, but idk. I also don't know how I am going to do the side pull outs because I had a lot of trouble lining up the webbing when it was on the edge of the tarp, which is a lot easier than when I try to do it in the middle of the tarp.....
    No, you're not crazy: an asym tarp does sag more than a seamed tarp; the seam adds a bit of tensional strength where the tarp needs it.

The needle holes...well, keep an eye on them (I sure am with my new tarp!). I'd recommend putting some seam sealer over 'em anyway: not only will it keep water from coming through, but the silicone (or polyurethane, in your case) should help with adding a bit of strength just where the tarp needs it.

Are you intending to put the webbing all the way around the tarp to create the pull-outs? If not, just sew to one side and then sew the reinforcement on the other side using the needle holes as a guide. Easy-peasy.

Oh, and all of that looks really nice...much nicer than my first efforts, that's for sure! I look forward to seeing what you have in store next!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Like FLRider said...Set it up in the backyard and give all the stitches and trim a good coat of sealer. Let it dry for a day.
    That PU fabric does have a lot of stretch to it (especially on cat cuts).
    Depending on needle size, thread tension and stitch length, you may have issues in the future. Adding the sealer at this time will help.

Adding panel pulls may look duanting, but they arent that hard. If shug or myself can do them, anyone can.

While the tarp is set up or layed out flat, mark their location (I use a permanent marker, just make a small reference mark, you'll sew directly over this mark) Keep the marks equal distance from the rl and the sides for good looks..say 2' down from the rl and 3' in from the sides. Also reference a straight horizontal line so they aren't cock-eyed. Lay the tarp under the foot and slide the whole thing all the way to your mark. Sew on one panel pull and repeat.

If you want reinforcing patches, sew them onto your mark first, then add the pull-out loop to the center of the patch.

It is a lot fabric to move under the foot but you can do it! Take your time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast