Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Now have a Frontline so am pondering what to do with the camping hammock. Anyone turned an old hammock into a UQ before? problem with the Camping Hammock is that it's not waterproof but I'm led to believe a wash with Nikwax (not sure which one) will sort that and the zip would allow for interchangable fillers......thoughts anyone?

Also, what the best way to rig it? This one (unlike the secondhand camping hammock) did have webbing but i can't decide if i want to salvage the 2 O rings from the camping hammock of leave them on to feed over the Frontline webbing if i converted the camping hammock to a UQ........advice?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: DD Camping Hammock with O rings

Quote Originally Posted by Lister View Post
    Now have a Frontline so am pondering what to do with the camping hammock. Anyone turned an old hammock into a UQ before? problem with the Camping Hammock is that it's not waterproof but I'm led to believe a wash with Nikwax (not sure which one) will sort that and the zip would allow for interchangable fillers......thoughts anyone?

Also, what the best way to rig it? This one (unlike the secondhand camping hammock) did have webbing but i can't decide if i want to salvage the 2 O rings from the camping hammock of leave them on to feed over the Frontline webbing if i converted the camping hammock to a UQ........advice?
    The camping hammock wouldn't make an uq as such, it may be a little warmer but there is no insulation in it... keep it for winter when there is no bugs.

Nikwax' water repellent treatment will add water repellency, not water proof, although I'm not sure why you want a waterproof hammock? If the fabric is properly proofed it will lose it's breathability meaning it will not allow your perspiration to pass through and will ebd up sweaty... that is why silnylon is not used as hammock fabric.

There are so many options for suspension you really are best to do some research, deciding what you like best. Saying that I would either go with webbing to the o rings or amsteel (whoopies or ucrs).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRIs...e_gdata_player whoopie slings on a dd hammock

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    The hammock wouldn't be used as a hammock, it'd become a UQ conversion (i.e fill between the 2 layers with insulation and hang under the Frontline.) hence the want to waterproof it (instead of using ripstop nylon)

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: DD Camping Hammock with O rings

There is nothing to stop you trying it out.
    The reason people/vendors use ripstop (uncoated) for insulation shells is to allow everything to breathe...how many waterproof sleeping bags do you see? Sure you get bivvy sacks but those are meant as a tarp equivalent and usually use a breathable fabric.
    Have a look for dejoha's thread on vbls and that should explain better than I can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12