Minimum Jungle Weight?

I just read through about every Jungle Hammock (www.mosquitohammock.com) posting I could find but couldn't ever hunt down an accurate weight.

I'm looking for a minimum weight: No fly, No straps, No cord. Just the hammock with integrated netting and pad pocket.

Also, Tom's specs note a 4' width but the review he links to says 3'-something. If someone could verify the width as well that'd be great.

Thanks!!

-Curt

email Tom and you will get your answer

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I just read through about every Jungle Hammock (www.mosquitohammock.com) posting I could find but couldn't ever hunt down an accurate weight.

I'm looking for a minimum weight: No fly, No straps, No cord. Just the hammock with integrated netting and pad pocket.

Also, Tom's specs note a 4' width but the review he links to says 3'-something. If someone could verify the width as well that'd be great.

Thanks!!

-Curt
    I will verify the width tonight (pretty sure it's 4') but I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh it.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I will verify the width tonight (pretty sure it's 4') but I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh it.

Miguel
    It actually measured about 47"....so yeah...I'd say it's about 4 feet. It seems plenty wide and long enough for me at 6'2" and 185lbs.

Are you thinking about buying one?

Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post

Are you thinking about buying one?

Miguel
    I am thinking about it. I was looking into making my own and started getting all the ideal features I'd want - pad pocket, bug netting that could used or pushed out of the way, and strong enough to handle a heavy load. Turns out the Jungle is pretty much what I'd planned on for a pretty good price. I've e-mailed Tom some questions that will probably decide whether I get it or not.
    The Expedition looks almost perfect but I'm worried about the length and rating. The rating I don't think would be that bad - I'm guessing it's pretty conservative and based on the straps, not the fabric. I'd be replacing all the straps anyway. Two layers of what is probably 1.9oz fabric should be plenty strong. I'm 6'3", however, so it seems kind of short. I like the weight of the Expedition, though. Wish it came in a long!

Any idea if the Jungle and Expedition use the same weight fabric? Is the only difference the length?

Thanks!

-Curt

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I am thinking about it. I was looking into making my own and started getting all the ideal features I'd want - pad pocket, bug netting that could used or pushed out of the way, and strong enough to handle a heavy load. Turns out the Jungle is pretty much what I'd planned on for a pretty good price. I've e-mailed Tom some questions that will probably decide whether I get it or not.
    The Expedition looks almost perfect but I'm worried about the length and rating. The rating I don't think would be that bad - I'm guessing it's pretty conservative and based on the straps, not the fabric. I'd be replacing all the straps anyway. Two layers of what is probably 1.9oz fabric should be plenty strong. I'm 6'3", however, so it seems kind of short. I like the weight of the Expedition, though. Wish it came in a long!

Any idea if the Jungle and Expedition use the same weight fabric? Is the only difference the length?

Thanks!

-Curt
    Frankly, at your height I'd recommend the longer one. We actually ordered the Expedition but returned them in exchange for the Jungle model. Regarding the fabric, I can't really say with 100% certainty. That would be better answered by Tom himself. The netting can't really be pushed out of the way because it only unzips along the bottom. Of course the entire hammock could be flipped over with the netting on the bottom. The only hammock I know of that can be totally unzipped all the way to the top with the netting pushed entirely clear is the Clark hammock. I can sit in the Claytor hammock as a lounger with the netting unzipped but it doesn't move completely out of the way. I do like the double bottom. It keeps pads in place quite nicely. In fact, I just bought a very soft 1/4" cc pad and cut it to a width of 36" and about 7' in length. Even folded in half it packs down very small. I also added the double ring suspension system for the hammock and line tensioners for the tarp, which I absolutely love. They make setting up, adjustment and take down so much less of a hassle. The ability to spread the netting with a stick really makes the hammock seem roomy. Originally I made spreader bars from wooden dowels, but have found it much easier to just make my own from fallen branches, right on the spot. You don't even have to measure them. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Take care, Miguel

• + New Posts