Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fabric?

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    most people in those stores have never done an outdoor project, so they usually don't have a clue about the kind of fabrics we're looking for<g>.
    You've got that right. They have perfected the dumb-look. "Do you carry any silnylon?", "Huh, I've never heard of that so we don't have it". "We do have this nice camouflage fabric though"

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Everything I have made has been from fabric from the WM $1 bin. I have found 1.1oz ripstop, 1.9oz ripstop, Supplex, Silnylon, DWR coated ripstops, etc...
    How do you tell what is what? I went to WM today looking for Supplex to try for a hammock but the $1 bin material was almost all labeled "unknown material." I did find something that looked like ripstop so picked up 7 lin yards to play with and it is going through hour two of She Dino's drip test to give me idea of what it might be.
    For determining the weight of what I've got I'm thinking of filling a beaker full of water, stuffing the material in a plastic bag then lowering it in the beaker and collecting the overflow in a measuring cup.
    Think that might work or am I making it more complicated than it needs to be?
    Kiyu

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm trying to remember if there is a thread that gives a basic idea what to look for when you go into a fabric store.
    sounds like another topic for one of our skilled article writers<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i'm trying to remember if there is a thread that gives a basic idea what to look for when you go into a fabric store.
    sounds like another topic for one of our skilled article writers<g>.
    Materials identification & characteristics, thread types/weights & stitching methods certainly would be helpful to we folks just getting into this.
    Most of the good fabric stores around here have closed but there is still one left. I'll just have to visit frequently and fondle fabrics until I can identify them.
    Determined from Dino's test my material is DWR Ripstop. Did the water overflow weight thing/sq. yds. and came up with 1.09 oz. sq. yd. Closer to 1.1 oz. than I thought I'd get. Too light for a hammock but something to play around with.
    Kiyu

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I can the tell fabrics apart because I have been dealing a lot with them lately. You can also looks at your store bought gear to help identify fabric. Most manufacturers list what their gear is made of on their website.

Another option is to order some fabric samples from some place like Outdoor Wilderness fabrics or Seattle Fabrics.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There's some army green and blaze orange coated ripstop at the Walmart on Hwy 1 just south of Alexandria, VA. It's pobably 2.5 or 3 oz though...pretty thick and crisp. About 10 yds of each, I think.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12