Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hello all,

Thanks Bcaron and Brian for your reports. Unfortunately the forums have been having issues over this last important weekend, but I wanted to finalize the location for the EGL 2012 Winter Hang.

I'd like to start by saying that the original discussion for this trip began during our Algonquin trip last fall. Several of us had just finished a fantastic weekend of canoeing and it was clear that we were eager to return and explore the backwoods of Algonquin, this time on snowshoes and in the depths of winter. Early January, the EGL organized the Valen's "Gearing up for Winter" hang as and more people became interested in signing up. We had the good fortune to meet many new people, among them several guys with considerable experience winter camping in the Park. Good information was shared, stories were told and gradually we begun to get a better picture of what we were getting into. Within a few days of Valen's, I had this "Snowshoes across Algonquin" thread going.

One of the recommendations from Valen's was to take advantage of the network of old railways that were converted into bike trails and connect many of the large campgrounds on highway 60. Pog/Whitefish Lake was mentioned as a possible site, as was Source Lake. Looking for other options, I contacted numerous local outdoor outfitters, tourism offices and the MNR around Algonquin. Although I personally wanted the trip to include some ice-fishing, most of the locations I discovered outside the park were either too remote, too "unproven" or prone to excessive snowmobile traffic. While that may have been fine me, it wasn't the right choice for a mixed group heading up for the first time together. So Algonquin, bless her soul, waited patiently. But still, to this point, the final location for the EGL Winter Hang remains undecided.

Suprisingly, a separate but parallel event was launched on WinterTrekking.com shortly after the "Snowshoes across Algonquin" thread for the same weekend at Whitefish Lake. Although I learned about this other thread only recently, I was more than a little disappointed to find that HammockForums' participation was buried as little more than a footnote in their planning and that the EGL didn't even make the final roll call.

Now, like most of us, I really enjoy the idea of getting outdoors and meeting new people; it's one of the main reasons I joined HammockForums and why I've participated in and helped organize these EGL hangs. If the couple of WinterTrekkers I've met are any indication, I'm certain that they're also a great bunch of like-minded guys and gals and their gear's sure to be a marvel. However before we resign ourselves to pack up our sleds and "crash" the WinterTrekker outing, I feel it's important to ask the HammockForum members one last time whether they want to reconsider the original goal of this trip and perhaps carry out a smaller, quieter hang on our own.

For my part, on this occasion, I think I would rather to have a more sedate weekend in the bush. A chance to get out, field test my gear, practice some bushcraft and perhaps even see some wildlife. Honestly, the WinterTrekking outing looks like it could be fun, in a Valens kind of way, and I'd encourage anybody who wants to go to still attend, but it's just not the type of weekend several of us envisioned back in the fall. I think there'll always be time for big jamborees, and I hope that with better communication and planning we'll be able to join with other like-minded people from HammockForums, WinterTrekking and even Canadian Canoe Routes to happily stamp our feet around a roaring fire.

To that end, I want to put out two alternate routes, Source Lake or Swan Lake, off Hwy 60 by Canoe Lake. The terrain might be a little rougher and there'll likely be some trail breaking, but that's what we originally were hoping for anyway.

Source Lake
    Access Hwy 60: 2.6 km east of Canoe Lake
    1.9 km to Source on snowed over access road
    0.5 - 2 km to campsite (North shore, hike until we find a spot)
    Terrain: Unplowed access road, flatter terrain, some bushwhacking/lake travel
    Comments: Confirmed review of access and site, lake hosts Camp Pathfinder in summer

Swan Lake Research Station
    Access Hwy 60: 2.1 km west of Canoe Lake
    1.7 km to Swan on snowed over Swan Lake Timber Research Station road
    0.5 - 2 km to campsite (North shore, hike until we find a spot)
    Terrain: Unplowed access road, hillier terrain, some bushwhacking/lake travel
    Comments: No confirmed review of access but road services an established research facility. Lake not normally accessed by public (more wildlife?)

Finally, because this is some people's first time winter camping, I'd hope that the novices err slightly on the side of too much insulation, and that they don't cut too many corners just to save weight. That being said, I'd also hope that those of us with ultralight outfits be open to helping distribute the load to make sure everyone has the equipment they need to enjoy a safe weekend. After all, we're all in this together.

Last edited by Chard; 02-13-2012 at 23:03.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Thanks Chard!!! I've been on the fence about pulling the ripcord on this one and was looking for an alternate back country location on my own. I too, like getting out and meeting new hangers but 20 is too big a crowd for me, plus there are concerns beyond parking with a group that size. After reading the "other" thread (???), do the WinterTrekkers know how many of us are attending and that this is an EGL hang

My preference is Swan but ether proposed routes is just fine with me.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Ah yes, that Algonquin hang...remembering back to that trip, I can't help but think how rewarding it was facing challenging portages, strong headwinds, unseasonable snow, being cold and wet and how the camaraderie of familiar friends made it that much more rewarding. I started a novice but finished more seasoned in canoe tripping with special thanks going out to my canoe partner Ryvr.

I'd like to stay true to our original concept of friends challenging the outdoors together and would like to go for a more smaller scale backcountry experience. I'm all for meeting new people but it's not what I had in mind when this thread was started. I think an initial crossover forums get together is better suited to car camping location

I've day hiked and backpacked many trails in Algonquin and would like to add backcountry in the winter to my list. I like the looks of the Swan lake route.
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-13-2012 at 20:52.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    We are in for whatever location is chosen. Do like the plan of asmaller group. We are bringing the 4x4 so snowy roads wont be as much obstacle.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Awesome! I was sort of really keen on getting off the beaten path. I think having a quad handy to rush anyone out in case of an emergency would be good, but with the ice the way it is will it make it all the way to camp?

I would vote for Swan Lake Research Station, I'm not sure where we missed the communication about this being a jamboree, but I think I would prefer a quieter weekend with a few good buddies. Side Note: Beer freezes but rum doesn't! *easy there, its just for the hot chocolate*

I strongly prefer a smaller hang this go around, I think we have time for a well communicated large group outing, but think it might make a better car hang as mentioned.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images

The Muskoka Report...Lots of snow...ice, not so much!

We just got back from 3 days in Muskoka, there's about 45cm (1.5') in the Brush.

The ice wasnt solid in a lot of spots though, there was a lot of open water around the shores and pockets in the middle!

The over nights were ruff (in the 5 star resort hahaha!) but we got in about 10km on the Shoes, half of it breaking trail!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Sorry Dan wasnt clear. I meant our 4x4 pickup would help with uncleared roads.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Ah! understood,

Yes indeed if we have access issues a four wheel drive would be of great help. I think that we would likely be walking in on the access road, but I won't speak for others.

what does the parking look like along HWY 60 Chard?

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Thanks Chard!!! I've been on the fence about pulling the ripcord on this one and was looking for an alternate back country location on my own.

My preference is Swan but ether proposed routes is just fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'd like to stay true to our original concept of friends challenging the outdoors together and would like to go for a more smaller scale backcountry experience. I'm all for meeting new people but it's not what I had in mind when this thread was started. I think an initial crossover forums get together is better suited to car camping location

...I like the looks of the Swan lake route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    We are in for whatever location is chosen. Do like the plan of a smaller group. We are bringing the 4x4 so snowy roads wont be as much obstacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    I would vote for Swan Lake Research Station

I strongly prefer a smaller hang this go around, I think we have time for a well communicated large group outing, but think it might make a better car hang as mentioned.
    Well, ok. I'm glad to see that most of us are okay with some backcountry snowshoeing and that Swan looks like the lake of choice. We should keep Source open as a good, well recommended, second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    What does the parking look like along HWY 60 Chard?
    I spoke with one park official and she said that a section of the Swan lake road in front of the gate is plowed and had parking. Another said it wasn't. I think we just need to see for ourselves. Both the Canoe and the Smoke lake parking lots are supposedly plowed, so we can always drop off our gear at the trailhead, park at Canoe and then catch a ride back on Jayson's 4x4 back or take half an hour and walk it. Alternatively the Mizzy lake parking lot is definitely cleared and that would provide ideal access for Source lake. Since most of us are planning on bringing shovels, I don't see much of an issue clearing out a parking spot on the Swan lake road.

Logistics:
    Permits for the weekend need to be obtained at the West Gate with slips displayed on the dashboards of parked cars. Given that the office opens a 9am and is likely to be busy on a long weekend, it was suggested that we get our permits over the phone and have it waiting for us to pick up when we get there. She even said we could just write our permit number clearly on a piece of paper and use display that. Cool! Drivers should look into that!

I will also pm the group and ensure that we exchange our contact numbers, at least one per vehicle.
    Last edited by Chard; 02-14-2012 at 15:13.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    One that has a roof
    Tarp
    strong and sturdy
    Images

Ice too thin!!

Guys - looking at your routes - they look great but I would strongly recommend staying OFF the ice - even if there is snow on the ice. It is far too dangerous this year. So any water crossings even if its looks like 15-20 yards across - its not safe. I really would love to hang with you in the Spring :-) so please stay off the ice... Source Lake - if I recall correctly that is a high ridge along the shoreline marker 2 to your camp marker so you may have to bush whack up ontop of the ridge and then down to your site.

If I can chime in on the discussion of group size. Having guided groups for many years in my younger life....(Ya I'm older now) In the winter smaller groups are better - the amount of energy required for large groups in the winter can have a negative impact on an environment - 20+ is far too big even if you are low impact hanging. Remember the rule of fire heating in the summer - when you have your pile and you think its the right amount muliply it by 5 - in the winter multiply by 10! with large groups you need even more fuel then that so go 15. Smaller groups spread out is better for the environment. 20+ that's too much on an environment that we are trying to protect for others.

For the novice ones making your first (or fifth) winter bush trek - may I offer some friendly advice check the egos and listen to each other - check up on each other regularly throughout the trek - and stay dry - dont over dress and sweat - that's very dangerous in the winter. Chard is absolutely correct dont go ultra light for the sake of a couple of micrograms - staying dry and warm is more important then counting the number of grams something weighs..

Parking in Algonquin in the winter - check with the park office when you check in - even though they dont have any big snow coming - they do seriously manage the parking during the winter months and they will tow....

Wish I had the hanging gear to join you! Algonquin is wonderful during the winter :-) Look forward to the pics and stories :-) Have fun and stay safe :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast