blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    I love a gravity filter. So easy to use and nothing to break. I have found it is better to pre-filter. I use Knee-Hi Hose. Just stretch it over the top of the collection bag, it stays in place and filters all those annoying particles that like to clog filters. AND it hardly registers on my scale, woo hoo.

I've had my 'First Need' for over 10 years and love it. Just back flush after every trip before storage. Never anything but great tasting H2O

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    I use a Frontier Pro(1.97 oz) (56 g) for solo trips or Platypus CleanStream Gravity Filter (13.7 oz / 388 g) for groups. Both work very well and are very light weight.
    I use both of these and recommend them. The Frontier Pro isn't the best filter, but when combined with Chlorine Dioxide, it is as good as any out there. The Platy Cleanstream filters directly into Platy bags, so if you use them you'll end up saving some weight.

Here is how you make the Frontier Pro work as a gravity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYWoplv_Uo

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Katadyn Hiker

I'll +1 on the Hiker Pro. I'm not sure that little piece of screen around the filter element really does much but it couldn't hurt.

I've read a lot of reviews on the Hiker Base Camp and most folks seem to think it's great so long as they have access to really clean water to start with. If you have to try and filter some of the sludge we have here in FL then you can expect only a few gallons before it slows to a trickle.

I always fill a silnylon bag/bucket with water and haul that back to camp. Allowing it to settle for a few minutes means I'm not pulling so much garbage into the filter. It's also a lot better to kick back in camp to pump rather than squatting in the mud on the creek bank.

I actually use my Hiker Pro as a gravity setup at times. I hang the water bag about head high and then add a short piece of cord for the pump body to hang from. A few pumps primes the system and then it will continue to flow, slowly (but it's better than pumping). The advantage is that you still get the prefilter/screen and I can just pump that first quart or so if I'm in a hurry. Attach a bladder and I've got 3 liters of water waiting after dinner.

FYI...I used to have a First Need and it worked great a gravity filter too. I just had to add some longer hoses to get the needed "head" between the intake and outlet.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I actually use my Hiker Pro as a gravity setup at times. I hang the water bag about head high and then add a short piece of cord for the pump body to hang from. A few pumps primes the system and then it will continue to flow, slowly (but it's better than pumping). The advantage is that you still get the prefilter/screen and I can just pump that first quart or so if I'm in a hurry. Attach a bladder and I've got 3 liters of water waiting after dinner.
    I'm going to have to give this a try. Are you basically making it into a siphon, draining the higher container into the lower through the filter tubing and body?
    Visualize whirled peas.

Images
    I used the instructions Shug linked to a few years ago.

My version uses slightly different tubing and the filter is a replacement filter for the Platypus Clean Stream system.

I couldn't bring myself to purchase the clean stream since the 'clean' bag is completely useless IMO.

I mounted a nylon barb on the nalgene lid and the filter hangs a few inches below the bag by a small section of tubing, so its not inside the green dry bag like the page Shug mentions.

I also added a bit of rope to the end of the hose and a small biner so that I can keep position the end of the hose of to the side where it doesn't have dirty water from the outside of the bag dripping on it.

I love it. It filters nice and fast, the whole setup gets stuffed in another drybag and comes in at 15oz total.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

gravity vs pump

A main question is: how is the water supply on the trails you are going on?

I ask this because in Pennsy during the summer I need a pump filter to pull the trickle of water out. A gravity filter would have me there with my cup and a bandanna trying to soak it up and then have to filter it. A tedious task.

A gravity filter is great when there is a lot of water easy to get at. A pump filter for times when its not easy, just throw the end in and pump.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3/4
    Suspension
    Treehugger Straps
    Has anyone used the Katadyn Mini Ceramic? I'm trying to go as light as possible and this thing is only 8oz. I haven't found a weight for the DIY gravity filter, but the BaseCamp setup is 11oz.
    "That he is mad, 'tis true, 'tis Pithy, and Pithy 'tis, 'tis true..."

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    A main question is: how is the water supply on the trails you are going on?

I ask this because in Pennsy during the summer I need a pump filter to pull the trickle of water out. A gravity filter would have me there with my cup and a bandanna trying to soak it up and then have to filter it. A tedious task.

A gravity filter is great when there is a lot of water easy to get at. A pump filter for times when its not easy, just throw the end in and pump.
    honestly crash its unknown at this time . I'm new to these kinds of adventures but would assume (hahaha we all know what happens when we A S S U M E ) the water should'nt be to bad. Appalachian trail or mohawk trail mainly western mass area.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Cypress View Post
    1st need . nuff said.

But, will add more. It is a pump to use type but, also has a hanging bag system.

I have used mine to get water out of the bayou in back of the house. Mud, crud and everything else that @#$&%%^*$$ type people throw in it.

Water is clear as a bell and have had no problems to this point.
    not sure if you meant to show a photo or a name there BC.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast