Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBarry View Post
    In regards to the GG thin light...do they come in wide...because what I'm hearing is that the 19.5" probably won't be wide enough for me...thank you for all the input
    They just made a 'hammock' version of the Thinlite available not too long ago - it's 1/4", wide/long version (28" width, I think). They're currently out of stock according to the phone call I made, but they should have more in sometime toward the end of this month.

Ask Headchange4u for details on how well they work. He has one and used it at the Mt. Rogers Campout (I think?).
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I did use the 1/4" wide/long pad at Mt Rogers and it worked great. I did have some sweat pool on the pad on the second night and I ended up ditching the pad at about 3:00 am because of the condensation problem.

The pad is a little to big for my HH ULBA and needs to be trimmed down to fit in the hammock better. The pad also got wrinkles in it which makes it pretty uncomfortable, but trimming the pad to the proper size would eliminate this.

The GG pads are a lot easier to deal with than the WalMart CCF pad as far a packablity. They are made for insulation, not padding so keep that in mind.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I did use the 1/4" wide/long pad at Mt Rogers and it worked great. I did have some sweat pool on the pad on the second night and I ended up ditching the pad at about 3:00 am because of the condensation problem.

The pad is a little to big for my HH ULBA and needs to be trimmed down to fit in the hammock better. The pad also got wrinkles in it which makes it pretty uncomfortable, but trimming the pad to the proper size would eliminate this.

The GG pads are a lot easier to deal with than the WalMart CCF pad as far a packablity. They are made for insulation, not padding so keep that in mind.
    I think I'll get one or two of these when they come back in stock at GG. One thing I've discovered is that having some sort of ~ full length pad helps a lot when packing my gearskin. I've been carring a 1/2-length Z-rest for a long time as a sit pad and for possible ground use, but it's not long enough to really make a good 'taco' for my pack. The Thinlite is full-size, even oversize really, and it weighs about the same as the half Z-rest. And from hearing how well it worked for you, I think it'll be worth switching.

As far as the padding concern, I guess with a long pad like that a guy could always double or triple it over for sitting like Pan did with his 1/8" pad at Rogers. It might not be very comfy for ground use, but we avoid having to do that like the plague anyway
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    This is what I'm thinking of doing with my HH for a hike in SNP in late May.

I am using a GG G4 pack so I got the GG nightlight torso length pad that will provide the support for the G4 pack. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...ght_torso.html

I am then going to buy a Size 40 x 60 x 3/16" weighing 6 oz. pad from Owareusa.com. This I will trim to fit the HH. I will then put the nightligt torso on top for a dual layer for the bulk of my torso and the single layer Owareusa pad overall.

Any thoughts on this combo?

Does anyone have any experience with the GG pads in the G4 during rain? They seem like they will get wet in the location where they are put in the pack for support. Also, this seems like it would be a problem with sweat. I'm planning on using a sil nylon pack cover and a nylon rain jacket. Any thoughts?

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don' know if a pack cover and rain jacket will keep the pad dry, but a poncho would.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    That's the very reason I prefer a poncho to a rain jacket - rain on the backpanel of the pack.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I found another reason I like the Packa on the Mt Rogers trip. Just like a poncho, it keeps my whole pack dry, straps and all. And just like a poncho, I can still reach my pockets while I'm wearing my pack. I used to put my tarp in the big mesh pocket on the back panel of my pack and my hammock inside the pack. But on this trip, I realized that I'd have to take my pack off to get to my tarp...then either set it down in the rain or put it back on. Putting it back under the Packa is a hassle. SOOO.....

Now I think I'm gonna put my tarp in the side pocket where I can get to it w/o taking off the Packa, and keep my hammock in an outer pocket as well. Then I can set up the tarp and hammock w/o taking off my raingear, and set my still-dry pack on the hammock to unpack.

Same deal would work with a pad...a Packa or poncho would keep it dry while you set up. I'd hate to start out with a wet pad, even if it didn't actually absorb the water.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images

wet pack

plus have you ever hiked in the rain with a rain suit then the next morning wake up to have you pack straps frozen solid, and still have to put it on to hike out? trust me not what you want good thinking jeff .
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    plus have you ever hiked in the rain with a rain suit then the next morning wake up to have you pack straps frozen solid, and still have to put it on to hike out? trust me not what you want good thinking jeff .
    I haven't done that with my pack, but I learned to leave my shoes in a wearing shape. It takes a little walking to defrost them in the morning. With socks, I try to leave the ones I want to hike in with my clothes stuff that I sleep with. The wet ones hang outside, then on the pack the next day to air out.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On freezing nights when I have wet shoes, I've put them inside a sil bag, then hung the sil bag inside the PeaPod or TravelPod. Keeps them above freezing and much more tolerable when I put them on in the morning. Not sure I'd do this on a long trip, but it's ok on the 2-3 day trips I usually take.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast