WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    hey BER,
    I wasn't offended by anyone, indeed when I put up that post I hadn't retained the identity of any poster in particular. There just was this tone emerging...

On a review, I'm $85 curious, became a backer, and so eventually I'll get one of these and if I have anything constructive to add at that point I'll do a video review.

No jumping or pork brains though. Nope. Leaving that to the professionals.

glad to see the turn the thread has taken.
    I'm sure many will agree with me when I say I respect your opinions and your ability to express yourself objectively. I hope you make a video and thanks in advance for your efforts.

Joel, get him a Roo right quick.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB 1.1DBL, Eno DBL
    Tarp
    WB Super or Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoooooopy!
    I am a product manager in my real life and see what Kammock is doing as great for hammocks and the outdoor industry.

I saw one post that mentioned hammocks as a established market. In my opinion, hammocks are a tiny market. When I walk the Outdoor Retailer trade show where almost all outdoor products are sold, there are only a few hammock vendors. Even Hennessy Hammocks (arguably the biggest retail hammock brand), only had a small isle booth at the last show I attended.

When you start seeing North Face, Mountain Hardware, MSR, Big Agnes, and Patagonia hammocks, you can start talking about established markets. The hammock market on a business perspective is hanging on (pun intended) by a thread. What is so great about seeing Kammock enter the game is they think the potential growth of hammocks is big enough to invest their own (and their Kickstart investor's) money in. That is real commitment to a very small market segment.

Also, a new vendor means more competition and that is great for the consumer, like me. And, they are coming into the market at what they see as the market portion having the biggest potential for growth. If Kammock does well, you will see ENO with polyester slap straps within a year. And, by that time Kammock would potentially have spectra webbing versions of their suspension. Competition means innovation is needed to keep ahead of the other brands. If Kammock comes in with a commodity product (price point product) they will not have the needed margin to support innovation and product development. So, I am glad to see them coming in with a quality first product. It means they are here for the long hall.

One additional thing needs to be said, unless you have actually held and tested one of the Kammock's, how can you really comments on it's value? A WBBB is worth a lot more than it's website description. Maybe the Kammock is too, I just don't know, so I will hold my comments on value until I have a product in hand or the reviews by the trusted members of the forum.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I'm not going to be critical and I do respectively and sincerely wish you guys the best of luck. But I will say this, we have some great guys making some awesome hammocks around here, (Yeah Shug, I said awesome!) and I'm glad I'm not the one competing against them.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by EricFromPortland View Post
    I am a product manager in my real life and see what Kammock is doing as great for hammocks and the outdoor industry.

I saw one post that mentioned hammocks as a established market. In my opinion, hammocks are a tiny market. When I walk the Outdoor Retailer trade show where almost all outdoor products are sold, there are only a few hammock vendors. Even Hennessy Hammocks (arguably the biggest retail hammock brand), only had a small isle booth at the last show I attended.

When you start seeing North Face, Mountain Hardware, MSR, Big Agnes, and Patagonia hammocks, you can start talking about established markets. The hammock market on a business perspective is hanging on (pun intended) by a thread. What is so great about seeing Kammock enter the game is they think the potential growth of hammocks is big enough to invest their own (and their Kickstart investor's) money in. That is real commitment to a very small market segment.

Also, a new vendor means more competition and that is great for the consumer, like me. And, they are coming into the market at what they see as the market portion having the biggest potential for growth. If Kammock does well, you will see ENO with polyester slap straps within a year. And, by that time Kammock would potentially have spectra webbing versions of their suspension. Competition means innovation is needed to keep ahead of the other brands. If Kammock comes in with a commodity product (price point product) they will not have the needed margin to support innovation and product development. So, I am glad to see them coming in with a quality first product. It means they are here for the long hall.

One additional thing needs to be said, unless you have actually held and tested one of the Kammock's, how can you really comments on it's value? A WBBB is worth a lot more than it's website description. Maybe the Kammock is too, I just don't know, so I will hold my comments on value until I have a product in hand or the reviews by the trusted members of the forum.
    As a avid backpacker, I do frequent outdoor retailers and from that perspective, I agree with you that the hammock market is not really established. I can honestly say that I have never seen a Blackbird or Switchback at any of the outdoor retailers that I have been too. But if you spend a fraction of time on this site, I think you will find that we have a very well established hammock market. Hopefully we'll get some positive reviews on this product soon and they can join our market.

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I also apologize if my criticism seemed harsh, like others said i wish you all the best of luck and i really like how you want to help others with donating some of the proceeds. also for $65 i would really consider giving your guys hammock a test spin!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Another point to consider is what Kammok is doing around the world. Seems to me like the company got all its ducks in a row prior to bringing their products here.

When I look at buying niche products, how the company chooses to invest its profits play a large part on my decision. Part of my business philosophy is to make sure I am giving back to the local (and sometimes not so local, there are many people here who I have given things when times were down for them) community. I applaud Kammoks mission and desire to be philanthropic. We need these smaller companies to WANT to be charitable, and if that means the price of the product is a little higher than the mass produced competition, that's fine by me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Okay - we could all make hammocks at home and never buy any hammock gear at all...but where would we be then? No product development, no innovation, nothing new - just everyone hanging around in a bedsheet suspended by some washing line. Sounds rather dull & drab to me.

I once had a drive in a Rolls Royce & the salesman said to me "it's only ten times more expensive than an average family car". ONLY TEN TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE!!!! Yes - but it's had ten times the R&D, ten times the quality, probably takes ten times longer to build too - and look at what came out of it, a brand held high WORLDWIDE for 100 years or so as the byword for the highest quality achievable.

I see nothing wrong in over-engineering anything, that's how things develop & improve and don't we all want real high quality gear in the final analysis? Price is surely secondary to other things like functionality, quality even fashionability?

If you want cheap stuff then DIY it and that's fine, I think most of us have probably done this at some point during our personal hammock journey. However, did we still feel satisfied with our perfectly servicable & cheap bedsheet hammock when the HH or WBBB came along - all sexy & lightweight & interesting?? Probably not.

Hammocks have been around for centuries so nothing new there - or is there?? I think there is. Hammocks have come out of the dark ages & have become SEXY & INTERESTING to a whole new generation who have run excitedly into the wilderness with a renewed, refreshed & revitalised enthusiasm for camping in whole new areas that were previously thought of as uncampable.

The hammock market may be relatively small at the moment, but I reckon it's gonna explode real soon. The constant drive for lighter smaller gear has driven us all inevitably to hammocks. I mean, would any of us really want to carry the gear our ancestors carried 100 years ago & use it today? Would any of us fancy a go at Everest with tweed jackets and wool socks as our only protection from the elements. Probably not.

Now imagine going back to those days in a time machine with a goretex jacket & all the technical stuff we use today and showing those old timers what we use. Then imagine telling them what it cost. They'd probably die laughing & probably paid a lot less for their house back then than most of us did for sexy shiny technical gear today.

Good on Kammock for going for it. I see a lot of posts from big guys & girls who question what weight this or that hammock will support & if it's safe for them. Well maybe Kammock helps solve this issue for some folks & opens up more & more people to hammocking.

I think it looks great, the price may be an issue for some but it all depends on what you need, what you want & what you're gonna use it for.

Any company that looks that deep into where their stuff is gonna be made, who is gonna make it & sets out to trade fairly & responsibly from the get-go has to be applauded & supported as much as possible. Good for them & let's hope more companies follow that ethos.

I aim to get one real soon for just chilling for an afternoon with my GF / friends / family, but since I've just spent $309 on a Cuben Fibre Tarp, $264 on a Winter Incubator & more on added on bits & pieces - I need a spell to replenish the funds.

$309 on a tarp - now that's a bigger deal on price as I could achieve the same thing with a polythene sheet - right?? Keeps the rain off & I could still see through it AND it's easy & cheap to replace. But CF is lighter & packs smaller...right??

$264 on a UQ - I coulda just hacked up an old sleeping bag right?? Would still have kept CBS away & it's cheaper to replace once again. But an UQ fits better & is engineered with diff baffles etc...right?

I'm not a rich man by any means, I'm a single Dad who works hard 6 days a week & I have to save for everything. Price is an issue to me for most things but hammock gear is my only indulgence, and it's expensive...but hey, I'm worth it.

Aren't you?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I wasn't offended, BER, just not real happy with the negative direction the thread was headed. I'm glad to see it turn around.

Setting the big marketing push aside, I just think it might be prudent to reserve judgement until actual products have been reviewed.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* set
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    WELL... at the price of $85 with $10 international shipping it actually puts it in the same realm of getting a WB traveler 1.1sl with webbing (to be comparative weight) at $60 and $35 shipping to Aus.
    So my question to Joel (and I thought I read it but can't re-find it) is the quoted weight of "about 20oz (with carabiners & all compressed)" include the straps, I've been considering getting a 2nd "proper" hammock anyways (my diy is alright but not great) so could be interesting to get on the bandwagon early.
    Also with my ability to break bottles I would actually use the freebie

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Segiy View Post
    WELL... at the price of $85 with $10 international shipping it actually puts it in the same realm of getting a WB traveler 1.1sl with webbing (to be comparative weight) at $60 and $35 shipping to Aus.
    So my question to Joel (and I thought I read it but can't re-find it) is the quoted weight of "about 20oz (with carabiners & all compressed)" include the straps, I've been considering getting a 2nd "proper" hammock anyways (my diy is alright but not great) so could be interesting to get on the bandwagon early.
    Also with my ability to break bottles I would actually use the freebie
    But, remember, the $85 includes some other little accessories (water bottle etc) that yo may or may not want. Get rid of that ( if not wanted) and at least the discount price will be right on. And if the fabric turns out to be something really unique and super duper quality, might even be well worth the higher price for some.

What are the dimensions on this, has that already been listed?

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast