Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessey Ultralight -- hanging cord broke in a Garda Hitch

I watched Prof Grizz's videos this morning and then went out and built a new suspension system using a Marlin Spike and Garda Hitch (copying his setup about 7 minutes in on the video). It's a great setup and looks like it will be much faster to work with than the traditional Hennessey knot.

I was testing it out in my back yard and broke the line on my Hennessey Hammock. I have a ~8 year old Ultralight Asym and the exterior casing broke in the middle of the Garda Hitch (kind of like the two SMC rings cut it open), exposing the spectra core. The cord is feeling kind of stiff and I wouldn't be too surprised if 8 years of use has made the casing brittle.

Are there good instructions on replacing the hang line on my Hennessey Hammock? Any recommendations on easy to find (REI or Seattle-area climbing stores) cord to use? For a garda hitch would a slightly thicker cord be a better idea? On my ENO hammock I'm using BlueWater 4mm cord (900lb test, $7.50 for 30ft at REI) and I'm wondering if that is a good one to go with.

thanks,
    alex

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

ouch

Not the first report of a garda hitch chewing through a line....the line you mention is worth a try, and not terribly expensive if it doesn't hold up. 4mm is a touch larger than the Spyderline that has held up for me so far in the garda hitch.

On attaching a replacement line to a Hennessey. It's not too hard to crack the cover on the HH end and work in a different line. The forums have some pictures, my very first post here was about a project that did essentially that. See the oldest photos in my gallery. Take some pictures on your own so you can see how it is put together...just a matter of passing the line through some burned through holes, with some wraps, and tied off with a bowline hitch.

Grizz

It looks like West Marine has Spyderline for reasonable prices, so I'll pick some up tomorrow. I pulled the cover off of the end of the hammock today and undid the knot, it looks very simple.

Thanks again for the videos and showing some alternative suspension systems.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awetmore View Post
    It looks like West Marine has Spyderline for reasonable prices, so I'll pick some up tomorrow.
    ...I should mention that turkeyboy had the shealth on some 2.8mm Spyderline break in a garda hitch just the way your HH did. I've been using 3.8mm.

Grizz

I ended up ordering some Spyderline 3.8 from West Marine. The actual stores didn't stock it (although the downtown Seattle store did have Amsteel Blue), but West Marine still had the cheapest price on it that I could find by far.

I'm excited to try out this setup on a week long trip in a couple of weeks. I'll carry some spare cord just in case.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    After my HH spectra line snapped I replaced it with 4mm static climbing accessory cord. It's good to go with a truckies hitch or a garda hitch.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

ok you've got me freeking out

I'll be using the garda with two rings this weekend on the standard line supplied with a WB BB....should I be worried.
    I'm thinking not, that it would take many trips for the rings to pinch through the cord...just checking with the experts.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Too many reports of line damage and breakage with garda hitches. With so much talk about being safe (for good reason), should we be rethinking the use of this method?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

talk to us Griz :)

I do love that instant adjustability with it (Rings/Garda) but in my non-scientific mind I can see ALL the weight/pressure/pascals focused on that tiny bit of cord that is compressed between the rings.
    I've never minded the classic HH fig 8 knot and it works fine with the one triangle on the end of the tree hugger but it took only one time with the ring/garda to spoil me--speed and lightweight. If I ditch the ring/garda I've really lost very little extra weight.
    So I'm waiting until the experts chime in---just hurry before I leave out Friday.

What if when tieing the Garda you go between the rings twice--spread out the weight factor a bit???

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I use garda+rings on my tarp. SUPER fast and easy, no real weight or stress to worry about. Plus I use cheap poly/pro line that I got from the dollar store ($1 for 50'), nice semi-reflective yellow hollow-core that is very slippery and the garda holds it perfect, and if it breaks, it's just the tarp on the ground and not me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast