Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

HG Cuben Tarp vs ZPacks Cuben Tarp

I am looking at a cuben tarp to round out my new light-weight set-up based on my in-the-pipeline Dream Hammock Darien UL 11'.

The two tarps I am looking at right now are the Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Hammock Hex Tarp, and the ZPacks Standard Hammock Tarp. The specs given on the respective websites are:

HG Cuben Fiber Hammock Hex Tarp:
    - CT1K.08 (.5 ounces per square yard)
    - 10' 10" ridgeline
    - 8.5 feet wide
    - 5.2 oz.

Zpacks Standard Hammock Tarp:
    - .51 oz/sqyd cuben fiber fabric.
    - Ridge Line: 11 feet long (3.35 meters)
    - Width: 8.5 feet wide (2.6 meters)
    - Base Line: 7 feet long (2.1 meters)
    - 6.5 oz.

I do have some specific questions, and if anyone knows the answers I'd be delighted to hear them. I'd also welcome and subjective comments about either tarp.

Am I right is thinking both are made of the same material? One lists .5 oz/sqyd, the other .51. I made the assumption that's just a difference in precision.

The HG specs don't list the baseline length. Does anyone know this measurement? I'm trying to figure out if the only difference in size is the 2" difference in the ridge length.

Is there by any chance someone out there that owns both of these tarps and would be willing to compare and contrast them? I know that's a bit of a stretch, but no harm in asking.

Thanks!
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I own both the Z-Packs Tarp as well as the Hammock Gear Tarp. They are both made from the same material. Check my thread out and in the third or so paragraph of this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52144
    for a comparison of the two tarps. I also have a review of the Z-Packs Tarp here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32511. Both threads have pictures. I love both tarps but favor the Hammock Gear Tarp for a few reasons I listed in my thread. Let me know if you have any more questions as I'd be happy to help.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    All my hammocks are 11'er and really prefer a 12' ridgeline for best coverage.
    Something you might consider.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    All my hammocks are 11'er and really prefer a 12' ridgeline for best coverage.
    Something you might consider.
    I would agree that a RL of 10'10'' would be to short for an 11' hammock. However Hammock gear as well as Z-Packs will pretty much customize their cuben tarps to pretty much any dimensions you would like. All you would have to do is email them. So weather you go with HG or Z-Packs I would get at least a 12' RL to cover you 11' hammock. Just my 2cents.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I would agree that a RL of 10'10'' would be to short for an 11' hammock. However Hammock gear as well as Z-Packs will pretty much customize their cuben tarps to pretty much any dimensions you would like. All you would have to do is email them. So weather you go with HG or Z-Packs I would get at least a 12' RL to cover you 11' hammock. Just my 2cents.
    The ridegeline on the 11' Darien UL is 110", which is 9'2". I was thinking the 11' ridgeline would be decent coverage, but I'll try the hammock out with my sil tarp which IIRC also has an 11' ridgeline before I actually buy either tarp.

Other than the RL length, any other perceived differences between the 2 tarps?
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I would agree that a RL of 10'10'' would be to short for an 11' hammock.
    Perhaps "that depends." Consider the case where you want the edge of the tarp as close to the ground as possible. That means the ridgeline needs to also be as low as possible. Any tarp with a ridgeline that is significantly longer than the hammock ridgeline, must ride high to clear the hammock's suspension.

With. 10'-10" tarp and an 11' hammock with an 83% ridgeline, you have about 10" left over at each end. Without doors, this would definitely be a problem. But with close doors, I don't think so.

With this configuration, the tarp ridgeline is only about 5" above the hammock's ridgeline (assuming a 30* angle). That puts the edge of these somewhat narrow tarps closer to the ground.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been using an 11 ft. hammock with the 10'10" ridgeline for about a year and have had no issue with coverage. Of course, it depends on your suspension. I'm using Dutch Whoopie hooks. With my hammock ridgeline at 83% (109.56") and continuous loops through the channel that add another 5 inches to each end, that gives me a little over 10 inches of additional coverage over the hammock ends (130" minus 119.5").

If I'm worried about rain getting in, I just close the doors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Perhaps "that depends." Consider the case where you want the edge of the tarp as close to the ground as possible. That means the ridgeline needs to also be as low as possible. Any tarp with a ridgeline that is significantly longer than the hammock ridgeline, must ride high to clear the hammock's suspension.

With. 10'-10" tarp and an 11' hammock with an 83% ridgeline, you have about 10" left over at each end. Without doors, this would definitely be a problem. But with close doors, I don't think so.

With this configuration, the tarp ridgeline is only about 5" above the hammock's ridgeline (assuming a 30* angle). That puts the edge of these somewhat narrow tarps closer to the ground.
    LOL ok you totally lost me cause me math and number just don't mix but I think I follow you. A tarp with doors would not work at 10' 10" on a 11' hammock because it would not allow you to close the doors but a hex tarp would work because their are no doors to close. Or is it the other way around having a tarp with doors allows you to have a shorter RL then a tarp without doors because when you close the doors it protects the end of the hammock? Am I missing something, and thanks for teaching me something new MAD777.

One thing about hammock hanging is at least for me is regardless of how long you've hung for their is always something new to learn.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    The ridegeline on the 11' Darien UL is 110", which is 9'2". I was thinking the 11' ridgeline would be decent coverage, but I'll try the hammock out with my sil tarp which IIRC also has an 11' ridgeline before I actually buy either tarp.

Other than the RL length, any other perceived differences between the 2 tarps?
    BTW I believe my HH Explorer Deluxe has a RL length of 108"* - just 2" shorter than the 11' Darien UL -- and my Maccat Deluxe tarp has a length of 130" or 10'10". I've never had any issues with this combination.

* Hennessy lists the length of the hammock as 108", and I am interpreting that as the RL length. Does anyone know differently?
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Or is it the other way around having a tarp with doors allows you to have a shorter RL then a tarp without doors because when you close the doors it protects the end of the hammock?
    Yes!

That was clear, wasn't it?
    With doors, the tarp can be shorter.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast