Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    just finished my first TDS! just trying to keep it really simple. do people still use the top rail end caps as hammock attachment points? it seems the metal used is aluminum, not sure how strong they are. i do plan on replacing the rope (leftover from the woot bugnet hammock) with amsteel continuous loops.

any inherent issues with the way i have this rigged up? comments, suggestions welcome.
    Welcome to the world of anywhere hanging. No, the end caps aren't strong enough and MAY break. They can, however, be used for your tarp ends.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Welcome to the world of anywhere hanging. No, the end caps aren't strong enough and MAY break. They can, however, be used for your tarp ends.
    Has anyone tested what the breaking strength of those caps are? I hung both my hammock and tarp off of those. I survived on them for two nights. Not that are not close to breaking next time. I don't know. I didn't even think of them breaking.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    just finished my first TDS! just trying to keep it really simple. do people still use the top rail end caps as hammock attachment points? it seems the metal used is aluminum, not sure how strong they are. i do plan on replacing the rope (leftover from the woot bugnet hammock) with amsteel continuous loops.

any inherent issues with the way i have this rigged up? comments, suggestions welcome.
    I used mine often (with end caps) all summer without issue (and I plan on continuing to use them). I think the concern is that the end caps are not quality tested for shear vs. weight. I've jumped around a lot, the grandkids have pile in on me, etc., etc. Lots of abuse and no issues to date.
    I think everyone should do their own testing and decide for yourself if it is safe or not.
    I think most comments are from folks concerned that there isn't any formal quality testing; this being the reason they choose not to use them vs. actually experiencing failures.
    I'd like to hear if anyone had an end cap actually crack or break and the situation that caused it.
    Here's my set-up that has worked well so far:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...=21752&catid=2
    Last edited by oldpappy; 10-28-2013 at 18:59.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    It is multiple issues. There is the issue of it being an untested part being used that isn't built using the strongest method (I think it is cast) but it is also because if you use it for your hammock then you are attaching a fair bit away from the ridge pole attachment point so you will probably introduce a bit more bowing in the ridgepole.

If you are ok with those two issues and it doesn't pose a problem then do whatever floats your boat. If you do though... please be careful and be ready for potential gear failure.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Until the Lord Gravity shows me the folly of my ways I'll continue hanging off mine. Does that sound like asking for it?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Re: The TurtleDog stand

I was early to advocate the use of the end caps to hang from, and indeed have I think 6 in the field now and my first and daily use stand uses them and that's been for quite some time now.

But I have to agree the end caps are cheaply made and not designed to take the stresses applied and other and future stands I build won't be using them to hang anyone's body weight from.

Clearly I'm not going to change out my original stand, but as always, hang no higher than you're willing to fall! (especially over concrete...)

hfg

fyi, none of my hangers are over 200#... hyoh.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i guess i'll avoid the end caps for now. no biggie, since i wanted the sharp edges covered anyways, and like others have mentioned, they can be used to fasten a tarp.

i've seen some pretty complicated connections between the hinge, pole, and then hammock. any issues the way i have it? i don't think the vertical rope is really going to budge, and even if it does, its not something that would lead to failure. even if i use a hammock with whoopie slings, i'd probably start by just hanging the big end over the outside of the pole, and having it pull up against the rope in the same fashion i have it now.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...any issues the way i have it? i don't think the vertical rope is really going to budge...
    No big issues. That's similar to the way many of us rig it.

I suggest you leave out the biner and just feed the webbing through it's own end loop for a better choke on the ridgepole. I had it move the pole hanging loop about 6" overnight once, but is was with a bridge hammock and a flatter hang angle (greater forces). I usually use a 3" long piece of bicycle inner tube and put the end of the webbing through it to get a better grip on the ridgepole just for my own peace of mind.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    makes sense!

i had this suspicion while typing my previous response, but had to try it out just to be sure, but whoopie slings are definitely too long if you only have a 10'5" pole and 6'6" stands.

is there any easy way to adapt a WS suspension on to these without rearranging a bunch of stuff?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    ...is there any easy way to adapt a WS suspension on to these without rearranging a bunch of stuff?
    Isn't that part of the fun? Tinker around and have some fun. Then post your findings here. We'll call you Professor BC
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 185 of 320 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast