HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    [QUOTE=easttex;803049]
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    OK. I'll plan on marking the trail with glow sticks, but make sure you've got adequate lighting with fresh batteries for finding the trail. I've got enough to mark the .5 miles we planned on last time, I'll get a few more to account for the added distance.

Will do. As long as the entry is marked and the campsite, I shouldnt have any problems finding it.
    I think we're going to go with Caveman's plan. Its a shorter hike over level terrain to a clearing. I'll update the first page ASAP.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OK--

Changes have been made to the first post.

FWIW, we will be hiking almost all of the trail, loops and all, in Section 1. There are just a couple partial loops we won't be taking and 1.26 miles of the Main Trail that will be missed.

Caveman;

I'm assuming that clearing is on the Main LSHT and not on the Little Lake Loop---is that correct?

Thumbs up

OK--

Changes have been made to the first post.

FWIW, we will be hiking almost all of the trail, loops and all, in Section 1. There are just a couple partial loops we won't be taking and 1.26 miles of the Main Trail that will be missed.

Caveman;

I'm assuming that clearing is on the Main LSHT and not on the Little Lake Loop---is that correct?
    Sounds good

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Please be advised that Texas Bow Hunting Season for deer will be in full swing on the date of this Hang. There are no restrictons for camping and hiking on the LSHT until rifle season opens on 1 November, but it is advisable that some form of orange be worn.

It also occurs to me that this may mean some limited competition for campsites.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    OK--

Caveman;

Sarge....Actually the clearing that I saw was on the Little Lake Creek Loop. About 1/2 mile from TH1. Sorry...I guess that would have been good information.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Sarge....Actually the clearing that I saw was on the Little Lake Creek Loop. About 1/2 mile from TH1. Sorry...I guess that would have been good information.
    Not a problem, I should have asked.

Will fix the first post.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey guys. Wondering how y'all prep the water from the trail for drinking or if you do. I currently don't have any type of filtration. I would just pack in water before. Any suggestion would be great!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by easttex View Post
    Hey guys. Wondering how y'all prep the water from the trail for drinking or if you do. I currently don't have any type of filtration. I would just pack in water before. Any suggestion would be great!
    Thanks!
    I use a sawyer squeeze or water tabs.
    Don't worry if you can't get a water filter or tabs before the hang because there will be plenty of filters. I even have a extra filter you can use if you need it on the trail..
    http://www.highwaterfilters.com/sawy...ducts-s/70.htm

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by easttex View Post
    Thanks!
    If we hike the Main LSHT on Saturday, our route will take us right to Parking Lot#1 before heading south, so we can cache water in the cars for the hike and you can top off there.

We'll be crossing Bethel Rd (FM1097) twice on Saturday, once at Parking Lot #2 after hiking 3 3/4 miles from PL #1 and again near our destination where the trail crosses south of PL #2. We can cache water at both places on our way in onf Friday afternoon.

We should also be able to drop some very near, if not right on, Saturday's campsite if FS211A is open There's no reason to believe that it won't be, but there's always the chance that someone at the Forest Service is asleep at the switch.

It may also be possible that FS231 is open, which crosses the trail right at the midpoint. Its worth investigating Friday afternoon or beforehand. Most of the FS Roads were supposed to be opened on September 1. If Weaseal and i get there early enough Friday afternoon, perhaps we can hike in a couple gallons from PL#3 to the trail intersection.

I think if we all come armed with a couple gallons each, we can stage more than enough water at points along the route so that filtration may not be necessary.

If you guys want, I can bring my Katadyn Basecamp which has bag of a couple gallons capacity that we an hang at the campsite for communal water, that we an fill at the pond. I tested the prefilter system (a hat) and it worked very well.

SPACEWEASEAL: I notice that the pond is shown to be relatively close to the trail, just to the east of it. You have the coords of the campsites, are there any that are close enough that we can bushwhack to it using the GPS rather than having to hike down the road and back?

Sarge
    I will check the cords to the site we found and post them later tonight or tomorrow.
    If i remember correctly, the easiest path would be the road. I might try to get out there in the next couple of weeks to scout the area and find the best route to the pond.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast