Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH, Speer MS, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Claytor, Speer cat
    Insulation
    3/8" Volara foam

Ring support question

Do you match the ring inner diameter to the webbing size (ie 1" web to 1" ring)? What size do you use? I was thinking of using 1" nylon web with 1 1/2" rings. Do you think this will be OK? My hammock is a Claytor jungle hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I used 1.5" ID rings with 1" webbing. Not for any real reason other than that's what REI had when I was in there.

Use polyester, NOT NYLON webbing. The nylon stretches, the poly not so much.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 12-08-2008 at 21:00. Reason: Answered the second question

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, I believe most people are using a larger ring ID than the webbing. The webbing & rings you mentioned sound right to me.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Use polyester, NOT NYLON webbing. The nylon stretches, the poly not so much.
    I'll second that wisdom. Either polypro or polyester will serve you better than nylon.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This may be conjecture and hopefully someone smarter than me can confirm or deny it, but it's the logic I go with for my rings.

I think you want a little bigger ring than the width of the webbing b/c you're putting so much force on it. If you used 1" webbing in a ring w/ 1" diameter, most of the force on the webbing would be on the edges b/c of how it would "curl" around the inside of the rings...it's better to disperse the force by limiting the amount the webbing "curls."

Any climbing experts (or anyone else with working knowledge of webbing) agree or disagree with that?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Claytor JH, Speer MS, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Claytor, Speer cat
    Insulation
    3/8" Volara foam
    Thanks for the info! What size rope do you recommend for the hammock side of the rings?
    What type of rope do you use, nylon or polyester?

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    This may be conjecture and hopefully someone smarter than me can confirm or deny it, but it's the logic I go with for my rings.

I think you want a little bigger ring than the width of the webbing b/c you're putting so much force on it. If you used 1" webbing in a ring w/ 1" diameter, most of the force on the webbing would be on the edges b/c of how it would "curl" around the inside of the rings...it's better to disperse the force by limiting the amount the webbing "curls."

Any climbing experts (or anyone else with working knowledge of webbing) agree or disagree with that?

Not a climber but an engineer at one time... Jeff - you are right. What you want to do is get as much surface area as possible under load so the friction will do its job. The flatter the load bearing surface, the better. Therefore, the larger the ID (up to a point), the better the hold. Of course, to get a really large ID, the rings get bigger in both absolute size and in cross-section. Eventually you can't keep everything lined up well enough to hold securely. There is a trick to getting basically an infinite ID with very little size or weight penalty. It's called a cinch buckle .

Bottom line - for ring buckles, use rings that are a little larger than the width of the webbing used to distribute forces and friction over a good surface area, just like JustJeff said.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    There is a trick to getting basically an infinite ID with very little size or weight penalty. It's called a cinch buckle .
    And I will add that not all cinch buckles work the same way when you look at the details. All provide pressure over a contact area, but one style is to add a biting, or cutting type force to that while another style is to add more friction and over a larger area. This is an example of the first style and this is an example of the latter style.

If they are strong enough and do fail, at first glance I would think a failure with the first style would involve the webbing breaking from the biting/cutting pressure while under load and a failure of the second style would involve the webbing slipping through. I like the looks of the latter myself but don't really know which is best, if one is better it might be a function of the webbing that is used.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 12-09-2008 at 10:42.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    if you use a d-ring, you can run the webbing over the flat part so there will be no curl while still allowing you to use a smaller 1" ring and save a little weight. lots of welded steel d-rings out there, some lighter than others.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I'm using Sling Rings that have an ID of 2" with 1" polyPro webbing. No problems.

Here's some discussion on them

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...8&postcount=23

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast