Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    Heh, I actually just bought a Z55 as it was the only one in any of the stores here that actually fit me. I was thinking of returning it though for different reasons.

- JT
    I wouldn't recommend it with consistant weights over 30lbs. My hipbelt would not stay tight, I had to tighten it every half mile or so. The shoulder strap where it attached to the bottom of the pack had the seam ripping out (they were not surprised by this), one of the compression strap buckles broke. The load lifter straps would also not stay tight.

On my loner the sterum strap broke off where it attaches to the shoulder strap after about 4 miles, the other one broke off a couple weeks later. It also still worked it's way lose at the hipbelt. It's load lifters also worked lose.

On the other hand I will have a slightly used Z55 pack if anyone wants to take it off my hands. I'm still waiting to get my original pack back after 2 months. One of these days I'll call them and see what is going on with it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I rarely go with more than 20 to 25 pounds but sounds like I'll return it anyway now.

- JT

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    If you like the pack and it fits correctly. Might I suggest taking it to someone who does custom work and saying this pack fits me I want one that fits the same and then proceed to tell them what type of pack you really want. If your gonna get a custom pack that fits get a custom pack that you'll love. If you don't like the gregory design and you just got it because it fits. Might I also suggest printing off pictures of packs you do like and bring them with you when you do this. After you've done this return the POS and move on. I would get referels from people who have had custom packs made and go with one where there work is quality and they stand behind it. Not POS and they stand behind it. JMO!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    mahem: That's what I'm doing. I'm in the process of designing my new pack with Ron Rod over at r2 Packs.

- JT

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    mahem: That's what I'm doing. I'm in the process of designing my new pack with Ron Rod over at r2 Packs.

- JT
    If it helps I am planning on making a new pack bag to fit on my REI internal frame. I decided the best pack for me will be: 5500 ci, compression straps to take up the unused space, waterbottle holders on each side that will hold a large nalgene or waterbottle and are make so you can use them while the pack is on, a large mesh pocket on back to hold things wet or used during the day, maybe seperate mesh pockets to hold my campshoes/crocs, a roll top drybag closure, and a hydration sleve in the pack that is sized to fit gatoraid bottles. I will also probibly add hipbelt pockets for camera and snacks.

That seems large to most people, but I think I can do it for under 4lbs. I want a large pack so that if I have to add something mid trip it won't be an issue. Plus I am tired of cramming all my stuff in really small stuff sacks only so I can use a smaller pack. Larger stuff sacks won't compress the down and make it super fast and easy to pack/unpack. Helpful on the cold nights. I am also looking into hikes were water is an issue, so I want to have the ability to carry a lot.

I am thinking either 200 denier pack cloth or something only a little lighter. I will have a pack liner and a pack cover, I am not worried as much about using something waterproof for the fabric.

I am thinking about reinforcing it with a frame or sorts around the bag of nylon webbing. This will add weight, but help out the life and max weight of the pack. I realize now that regaurdless of what my base weight is there is always going to be times where I carry close to 50lbs. Be it a stretch where water is an issue right out of town or I am carrying something fun. I don't want to limit myself with a pack that can't hold it.

PM me if you would like more details, I'm also curious what you have in mind.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    As for pack choices, i dont think you can go wrong with ULA. I had a Circut (I had a torso size too big and gave it to my dad) and loved it. Even though it was a size too big, I loved the durability, and features for such a light pack. I know have a SMD Comet, and would recommend it if your really into getting your base weight down to say 10-15 lbs or lower. I love the pad pocket and the removalble aluminium stays. Next time I do a thru, I think right now ill go with a comet or Starlight (if I fell I need the extra volume). Just a Thought. YMMV.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    Making your own pack is nice!
    I have a Mithril that performs well for light loads.
    When I take tooo much camera equipment, I'll use my 'custom' external pack.
    It's nice to have the breathability on the back and to easily carry the load.
    I took a Jansport external frame and sewed my own with dyneema ripstop.

Now it has a large netted pocket sewn in on the back. I could make it lighter if I made some lighter shoulder straps and belt.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    If it helps I am planning on making a new pack bag to fit on my REI internal frame. I decided the best pack for me will be: 5500 ci, compression straps to take up the unused space, waterbottle holders on each side that will hold a large nalgene or waterbottle and are make so you can use them while the pack is on, a large mesh pocket on back to hold things wet or used during the day, maybe seperate mesh pockets to hold my campshoes/crocs, a roll top drybag closure, and a hydration sleve in the pack that is sized to fit gatoraid bottles. I will also probibly add hipbelt pockets for camera and snacks.

That seems large to most people, but I think I can do it for under 4lbs. I want a large pack so that if I have to add something mid trip it won't be an issue. Plus I am tired of cramming all my stuff in really small stuff sacks only so I can use a smaller pack. Larger stuff sacks won't compress the down and make it super fast and easy to pack/unpack. Helpful on the cold nights. I am also looking into hikes were water is an issue, so I want to have the ability to carry a lot.

I am thinking either 200 denier pack cloth or something only a little lighter. I will have a pack liner and a pack cover, I am not worried as much about using something waterproof for the fabric.

I am thinking about reinforcing it with a frame or sorts around the bag of nylon webbing. This will add weight, but help out the life and max weight of the pack. I realize now that regaurdless of what my base weight is there is always going to be times where I carry close to 50lbs. Be it a stretch where water is an issue right out of town or I am carrying something fun. I don't want to limit myself with a pack that can't hold it.

PM me if you would like more details, I'm also curious what you have in mind.
    Sounds sort of like a Gearskin?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Looks real nice, how much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Making your own pack is nice!
    I have a Mithril that performs well for light loads.
    When I take tooo much camera equipment, I'll use my 'custom' external pack.
    It's nice to have the breathability on the back and to easily carry the load.
    I took a Jansport external frame and sewed my own with dyneema ripstop.

Now it has a large netted pocket sewn in on the back. I could make it lighter if I made some lighter shoulder straps and belt.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I don't really recall. I wanna say around 3.5lbs
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast