Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't used it with a bug net...it's been winter (or at least bug-free in California) when I used it.

You can put on the Pod and leave it open on top...if you need the bug net then it's probably not very cold out. But yeah...the Pod isn't very compatible with bug nets attached to the hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    That's what I thought. I am a long way off from using them together if at all. Just trying to put it all together.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    ed's holding one of the pea pods he had on sale for me. it's a pea pod II, 8.5, w/ 2.5" loft (750 down) rated to 45°, 29ozs, $150.00.
    now that my tax return will soon be on it's way, i'll go ahead & get it soon
    but one thing i have wondered about is adding attachments inside so that i could attach it to the top edges of the hammock & let the top of the pea pod hang open.
    but when it's attached in the normal way, maybe you can do that any way? i just haven't had any personal experience w/ one.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ed's holding one of the pea pods he had on sale for me. it's a pea pod II, 8.5, w/ 2.5" loft (750 down) rated to 45°, 29ozs, $150.00.
    now that my tax return will soon be on it's way, i'll go ahead & get it soon
    but one thing i have wondered about is adding attachments inside so that i could attach it to the top edges of the hammock & let the top of the pea pod hang open.
    but when it's attached in the normal way, maybe you can do that any way? i just haven't had any personal experience w/ one.
    As close-fitting as it is, I might be tempted to just add a couple of grosgrain loops right at the zipper. Then use a shock cord/biner line to clip over the ridge. Nice and adjustable that way.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Jeff,
    Do you have one of the 750 fill 45* models? If so, how close do you think the PeaPod comes to reaching this rating by itself? How far off do you feel therating is, top insulation wise? Would you say, speaking only for you of course, that it is a 50° bag, or 55 or 60°, when used in a hammock without a top blanket? Or if yours is not a 45° pod, just substitute what ever the rating is in order to give a rough idea of how close it comes to that actual rating. Or maybe used with warm clothing, like a set of longjohns and fleece top and bottom, with adequate headgear of course. Whatever conditions you might have experience with, other than using with a top blanket or sleeping bag inside the pod. Though I understand you may not have used it at all without a top blanket.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how close these pods are to their rating top insulation wise. For instance, I've been looking at the new 20° models with 900 down. Pretty expensive, though not if you consider 19 ounces of 900 down. Also, a person could almost justify this expense by saying that for 35 ounces (size long with over fill) and a very compact space in the pack, you take care of both the bottom insulation and the top insulation down to 20°. And used on the ground, 5 inches of loft would correlate to a 20° rating for most bags. The fly in the ointment of course is the gap above you, which effectively makes the rating less than 20°. My question is, how much?

Although, even if you have a firm opinion on this temperature rating relative to the Peapod that you have, I might still not be able to apply it to the newer one. Because Ed has told me that the loft is evenly divided up, 2.5 inches on the bottom and 2.5 inches on the top. I believe the previous 45° 750 down model was something like 2 inches on the bottom, with 1 inch on top? Or something about like that? So I guess what I'm saying is that even if you did feel that 45° was very optimistic regarding the topside insulation, that might not apply so much to the newer models since they have more insulation on top. Though both systems suffer from the air space over the sleeper.

I have been trying to figure out a way around this problem. One thought I had was a bag that was five to 10 inches wider, with maybe that extra width being uninsulated windproof nylon placed right about the top left edge of the hammock -- but not over you, to your left side. But still above where your shoulder and elbow would hit. Then possibly this extra width would allow the top layer to drape down over you. But then I suppose the extra width of uninsulated bag would possibly cause draft problems, maybe undoing the benefit of getting rid of the air gap. And if it was insulated, it would add to the weight and cost. I've just been trying to think of some way to overcome this shortcoming to what otherwise would seem the almost perfect hammock system.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a baffled 900fp 8.0 with 2 oz overstuff. AFAIK it's the new design, but I think it still had more loft on bottom than on top.

You don't need any special attachments to use it as an underquilt...just don't attach the velcro and let it hang open. The bottom will still be snug to the hammock if you tie the drawstring around the hammock support. If you attach the edge of the Pod to the edge of the hammock, you'll have a huge air gap under the hammock.

Re: temp, I haven't tested for hard numbers. Mine is rated to 20F and I was comfortable in it with silkweight thermals at ~50F. I didn't test below that w/o a top quilt, but I imagine something would be necessary w/o going too much lower. It's mid-20s here tonight...I'd test it tonight if it wasn't Valentines Day! (A man's gotta know his limits...) Maybe tomorrow.

I used it on the ground and it worked fine. It's big and cumbersome on the ground and the velcro isn't as convenient as a zipper, but it was plenty warm.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I have a baffled 900fp 8.0 with 2 oz overstuff. AFAIK it's the new design, but I think it still had more loft on bottom than on top.
    That sounds like the one I've been looking at, but according to Ed the current model is ~equal loft top and bottom.

It's mid-20s here tonight...I'd test it tonight if it wasn't Valentines Day! (A man's gotta know his limits...) Maybe tomorrow.
    Understood!

I used it on the ground and it worked fine. It's big and cumbersome on the ground and the velcro isn't as convenient as a zipper, but it was plenty warm
    I always have so much trouble with snagging zippers, the velcro was a selling point to me. Of course, things don't always work in the real world as good as I think they would.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I always have so much trouble with snagging zippers, the velcro was a selling point to me. Of course, things don't always work in the real world as good as I think they would.
    I think I'd rather be a little careful with a zipper than deal with Velcro...or omni-tape.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    If I were to make a pea pod I would really consider putting baffles going length wise down the quilt in addition to width wise. Yes that will be a pain to sew in stuff and add an oz over the weight of the quilt, but I think it would keep the down from shifting. Maybe at shoulder height on both sides.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    If I were to make a pea pod I would really consider putting baffles going length wise down the quilt in addition to width wise. Yes that will be a pain to sew in stuff and add an oz over the weight of the quilt, but I think it would keep the down from shifting. Maybe at shoulder height on both sides.
    If I understand right, that's what Ed's doing now? Not sure how else you'd be able to separate top and bottom loft for estimation...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast