SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Good news, latest forecast has it snowing on the 15th.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As of today, my class schedule is out and so am I.

19 January I have a full day in the emergency vehicle driver course and will not be able to attend. Y'all have fun and hope to catch ya next time or at another hang if we can make it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh, man, Hooch. I was so hoping you'd make it....

Doctari, about being packed, I never consider myself completely packed until the vehicle is heading down the road. However, that being said, the food is packed, the gear is selected, and clothing piles are on the basement floor, ready to go into packs, duffels, and/or boxes!

Unfortunately, I may have to pack some cold medicine unless I'm better by then. I'm just hoping it's not the flu that my wife is just getting over or that could make this trip very challenging.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    As of today, my class schedule is out and so am I.

19 January I have a full day in the emergency vehicle driver course and will not be able to attend. Y'all have fun and hope to catch ya next time or at another hang if we can make it.
    Um, I'm a CEVO trainer,,, we could kill two stones with one bird. Don't know if the cert would transfer from Ohio, especially if the class was done in VA. LOL.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain
    I have so much to learn!
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    For those new to winter camping, there are some good tips on post #1 for planning. And there is a check list on post #2 with some suggested items to take.
    The tips & check list are from others experience over the years, I just compiled them for the most part.
    For those feeling that it's overwhelming, Don't! Just the basics can be boiled down to: Dress warm IN LAYERS!!! Stay cool to stay warm, hot is wet, wet is cold! Eat AND drink often. Short exercises (jumping jacks, a brisk walk, etc.) can warm you up, just don't over do it (see "stay cool" above).
    For this get together, if you get too cold, go to your car & warm up! Or stand by the fire AND: eat something!!!

That's it! Bring a hat even if "I never wear a hat, ever!" Cause your body heat will get out anyway it can, even through the top of your head.

BTW: frost bit ears are VERY painful! Took 2 weeks to fully heal mine from 25 years ago. (on a firetruck, winter, no ear protection, ouch!)

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So, I'd like to do a dayhike on Saturday, since we didn't have a chance to at the fall festival. Are we still planning on starting the pot luck at noon? I may have to take a rain check on it if it is that early, and make some Scrapple for everyone around dinner time (the fat will keep everyone warm at night anyway).

Is anyone else planning on hiking Saturday? I don't want to drive 8 hours, and still not get to see the trail. I'll be arriving on Friday around noon.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    So, I'd like to do a dayhike on Saturday, since we didn't have a chance to at the fall festival. Are we still planning on starting the pot luck at noon? I may have to take a rain check on it if it is that early, and make some Scrapple for everyone around dinner time (the fat will keep everyone warm at night anyway).

Is anyone else planning on hiking Saturday? I don't want to drive 8 hours, and still not get to see the trail. I'll be arriving on Friday around noon.
    The pot luck doesn't officially start at noon, just based on previous years (first year started at 5 PM) & by some simple calculations, I figure that's when the eating will start. Based on my calculations at the rate the potluck gets earlier, the 2025 pot luck will start around midnight on Friday.
    But don't worry, we are a hardy breed, the pot luck usually lasts about 6 to 8 hours. AND, a "Just before bed High fat snack" is a GREAT idea for keeping warm.

As to day hikes, in 2011 I counted about 6 groups that went out on various routes. I'm "Planning" on hiking to the Scales on Friday if I go to the Wise, will see how I do Thursday & where I spent the night. There is (in my experience) not a bad hike in or near the park.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    As to day hikes, in 2011 I counted about 6 groups that went out on various routes. I'm "Planning" on hiking to the Scales on Friday if I go to the Wise, will see how I do Thursday & where I spent the night. There is (in my experience) not a bad hike in or near the park.
    Any suggested routes for a 2 - 3 hour hike on Friday, and maybe a 6 hour hike on Saturday? I was kind of looking at the rhododendron trail to the AT, AT to Seed Orchard Road and back to the campground. Where is the Wise/ Scales?

It obviously depends on weather, but maybe I can get some pointers from those of you familiar with the area on Friday.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast