Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

zippes work for me

My HHULEA (I think that is the one) has completely removeable bug netting via zippers. I just use a zipper roll cut to length and double stitch half of it to the netting and the other half to the hammock. Neither end is finished. It stinks that you can not find a ready made zipper long enough for a hammock but I have made it work for me I guess. I just put a couple of hand sewn stitches at either end so the zippers dont run all the way off and it works just fine. When I am ready for the winter switch. I just undo the stitches and swap out my DIY over cover that is also zippered.

I think zippers are a little bit heavier than velcro but so far so good. I have been using a number 4 zipper but I am going to try a number 3 in the future to see how they work.

SC

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Seasonal Remanufacturing

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    When I am ready for the winter switch. I just undo the stitches and swap out my DIY over cover that is also zippered.
    That is brilliant!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My HHULEA (I think that is the one) has completely removeable bug netting via zippers. I just use a zipper roll cut to length and double stitch half of it to the netting and the other half to the hammock. Neither end is finished. It stinks that you can not find a ready made zipper long enough for a hammock but I have made it work for me I guess. I just put a couple of hand sewn stitches at either end so the zippers dont run all the way off and it works just fine. When I am ready for the winter switch. I just undo the stitches and swap out my DIY over cover that is also zippered.
    Using the same kind of engineering you _could simply make a permanent stitch in one side of the zipper tape out beyond the removeable side. That way the slider will not run off and get lost. I personally don't like that system simply because I don't like having to putz around trying to get the zipper lined up properly to make sure everything aligns. so on each modular piece there would be a long tail/short tail end at the "foot" the sake of argument. The opposite end would end even but with a few stitches binding off the teeth on each side so the slider will not zip off the end. That is certainly doable but _for me_ a true pain in the tuckus.

Edit: The other problem is if the coil at the removeable end gets damaged you will have to cut the damaged part off as you will not be able to zip it up with seriously damaged coils. Unfinished as they are.. they are somewhat more fragile than you might expect. Not really delicate... but care must be taken.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 09-28-2009 at 20:37.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    HYOH in this case I am sure. I had a little trouble with coil zippers at first but I can get them aligned pretty fast now. Just a little fuss at the seasonal switch and I am in business for another few months. Plus, I dont have to carry the bugnet in the winter. I just like the options the zippers give me. I am carefull with my stuff and it has been holding up well so far (knock on wood).

I suppose if I had to think about the situation of the coils getting damaged then I would just cut out the damaged parts and put on some sticky velco as a temp solution (not necessarily a field repair but might buy me a few more months of hang time). If the zipper got bad enough I would just replace it.

SC

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    HYOH in this case I am sure.
    Absolutely... I've thought about doing it but my fingers don't work so good and I'm not a gram weenie or high mileage hiker so..... I do tend to like long zippers better than long velcro... so if I had to make the change that is probably what I would do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    A couple of days ago I was thinking about something similar with my Heresy Hammock, which has the 2Q/ZQ #2 Bugnet Mod. If the bugnet zipper could be unzipped off the end, then the bugnet could be left furled along the hammock edge, and an OverCover could be unfurled and zipped in it's place. Then, I thought, what if there were two zippers right alongside each other. The bugnet would in inside the OverCover, and the occupant would have to unzip twice to exit.

That's why I like StormCrow's Seasonal Remanufacturing. Go ahead and remove the bugnet, and replace it with an OverCover.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12