DIY POS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cat
    Insulation
    Manly Hair
    Suspension
    Whoopie Straps

Is Gutterman thread necessary?

Does anyone know what makes Gutterman thread better than any other brand? I just ran out of a spool of 100% poly lightweight Gutterman thread that I bought from Quest. I need some thread tomorrow and my local stores don't carry Gutterman.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Here... take this. It won't save your life, but it may help you save your own.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've done a bit of looking through the forums and have come to a decision. The reason Gutermann thread is mentioned is because it is pretty high quality. That being said there are other brands of thread that are also high quality, but aren't mentioned as much. To me it seams that although many lean towards Gutermann, really any quality thread should work just fine.

Make sure that it is 100% polyester, as cotton tends to rot over time, and nylon stretches and may not work well with your injector.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What Thunderchi1d said.

Gutterman's is consistently good quality thread that comes in polyester. So, it stands up well to sunlight and damp while not being a pain to work with on the machine.

There're other brands out there that (I'm sure) are good quality and polyester. It's just that Gutterman's is readily available at most fabric outlets.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    When I ordered my materials for quilts from DIY Gear Supply, I ordered a spool of Gutterman thread. As others have said, it is high quality and doesn't shred in the machine. I made 3 quilts, 2 socks, a pair of snake skins, several bags and ridgeline organizers and other misc. items on one spool. When I ran out, I picked up a spool of "outdoor sport" Coats and Clark thread from Walmart. It was way more expensive than Gutterman's for about 1/3 the amount of thread...and I hate it. It is too heavy and doesn't want to move through the machine very well. When I place a new order with DIY Gear Supply, I am going to get several spools so I am sure I don't run out again!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yep...any high quality 100% polyester thread of an appropriate size. Mettler is another brand I have used.

This store should have Guttermann Sew-All and Mettler threads. Give them a call to confirm.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft, # 2190
    951 East Lewis & Clark Pkwy
    Clarksville, IN 47129
    812-283-6491

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I've had both good & bad luck with Coates & Clark. It does shred and screw up the project. Going to inventory the Gutterman thread - worth the cost of shipping.
    +1 on the spool size. Had to make thread gallows to use it on my machine, but that took about 5 minutes and cost nothing.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

I have noticed that Gutermann doesn't leave a whole bunch of fuzz in my machine after I get done using it. The Coats & Clark outdoor thread already mentioned leaves a mess, doesn't like to flow and is always jamming up in the hook and bobbin case.
    Last edited by WickedKlown2; 12-17-2012 at 11:33.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've also used the Coats & Clark 100% UV Outdoor thread. It was thick and rugged and worked well with some tweaking (and the right needles).

I've switched to the Gütermann Tera thread from DIY Gear Supply and I've been really impressed.

Prior to the Gütermann thread, I tries some "generic" polyester thread I had laying around. The generic thread worked fine for stuff sacks, clothing, and even some hammocks, but when I tried making some straps, the loops pulled through, no matter how or what style of stitch I used.

The Gütermann thread has been stellar and I won't look back. I just ordered another spool last week.

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    ...to answer your question (and sum up my post briefly) there are other options but Gutterman is easier to find and performs very well for what it's used around here for.

I've heard of Rasant being used but it's difficult to come by in the states. A few people on UBL forums swear by Rasant but it's also around 2-3 times more expensive than Gutterman from what I remember. More people use Gutterman because it's cheap and performs well enough for what we use it for.

I've been using Gutterman (Mara and Tera) and recently bought some Mettler Metrosene. I picked up the Metrosene at the recommendation of a local guy who makes parachutes (he said parachute and tent making require very similar threads) and it's been working well for me. I haven't finished my project yet but I'm pretty happy so far.

I can't say which I like better because I haven't had much chance to test/stress them out in the elements but my gut tells me that the Gutterman will hold up a little better in the elements.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Coats and Clarks from Wal-Mart and other big box outlets can be problematic primarily because it is the low end of the C & C line. Thread has a shelf life and needs to be rotated and stored properly. Something Wally World is not likely to understand or do. C & C from a local sewing supply store or fabric store is more likely to be higher quality. Avoid the really cheap stuff like the plague. For one thing the $1 spools have almost no volume on the spool. You'll go through it like mad. Secondly they are made of short fiber leftovers and will shred and break with out the slightest provocation.

High quality thread is definitely worth the investment for high quality projects. If you want to do mock ups or trial stuff don't be overly concerned. But for top quality work use quality materials.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast