HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    Well.. it is pretty much a win-win here... Many choices of top of the line gear..
    I might suggest paying closer attention to site selection though, warmth and dry factors....not to mention widow makers, that will ruin even the toughest of tarps and lives for that matter......Good luck..
    I've been in a few spots where it looked great but after a second inspection from a different angle has shown that I'm sleeping in possibly the most dangerous spot in a 5km radius! It's an ability what can I say!

Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    When I saw this thread, my first instinct was "don't feed the trolls," but if you really want an opinion, I've used my hennessy sil hex tarp for 5 years without any tears. Like NCPatrick, my sealing tape peeled off, but that was after I re-coated the material. Nothing a few minutes with silicone caulk couldn't fix.

That, by the way, is a huge point in sil's favor--re-coating is not an option with urethane-coated fabric.

My JRB 11x10 has served me well over the past 3 years also. I like it because I can close the ends to block wind in winter. Recently I added another Grizz beak to my gear so I can now "close the doors" on my hex as well.

Anyway, use what you like and like what you use. Feel free to just ask a gear question. You don't need to trick anyone around here into giving you information. In fact, if you do it much you may find it backfires.

HYOH.
    Haha trolls be hungry! Na, I'm not trolling. It's more me looking at getting people's opinions not what would work best for me but what works for them and why. But also why their tarp is better then mine. That tells me more about their tarps then anything else... And I know most of you are too good natured to just tell me why my tarp stinks compared to the better stuff. But that's really what I'm looking for!

What's the skill level of re-coating silnylon?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I love my Superfly but, in fair weather I bring my PU coated Claytor diamond fly. The 2 stakes, for the diamond fly, are just so much easier than the 4-12 stakes that the Superfly takes.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    Zing, love it!
    On a serious note:
    A lot of people are for the superfly, I may have to look into that one more. I know he makes good hammocks but never really considered his tarps.
    No doubt an excellent choice. My most used tarp for many years is the 19 oz JRB 11X10 sil-nyl Rectangular. It has several different pitch options, like Baker Hut, which is handy. Using it with some Grip Clip added to the sides for pull outs, I have been able to mostly close the ends to block wind and still have plenty of room for my JRB Bridge's spreader bars with zero tarp/bar contact. Because of the rectangular cut, I actually get as much useful coverage as I do with my 12 foot RL HH Sil-nyl hex cut and more than I ever did with my 11 ft RL ( but lighter) Mac Cat DLX. And it has just large enough cat cuts on the sides to be very effective. And I have not yet ever experienced any "misting" that some folks complain about with some sil tarps. A problem you should never experience with your non-sil HH Hex BTW, so there is one reason to just stick with what you've got!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I love my Superfly but, in fair weather I bring my PU coated Claytor diamond fly. The 2 stakes, for the diamond fly, are just so much easier than the 4-12 stakes that the Superfly takes.
    That is a very good tarp BTW! Do you recall the weight? I wish I had not sold mine.

The Forum needs a "Like" button as in Facebook. I would give a "Like" to Ridgerunner.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    What's the skill level of re-coating silnylon?
    Can of silicon waterproofing spray, orange cap, outdoors section of Walmart.
    Hang your tarp.
    Spay it all over, as evenly as you can.
    That's it, unless you ned to smear some silicon caulk on the ridge line afterwards (the spray can melt the seam sealing caulk).
    So, very low skill level.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

I too have the 70D Hennessy Hex and love it. I am however, looking at picking up a Superfly as well for winter camping as I think the doors will make a big difference. My only complaint about the HH was the bulk, so I'm hoping the lighter Superfly will also pack down smaller.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ &amp; TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    we all have the right to belive what we want but I love my superfly

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    You are certainly entitled your opinion.
    true that.

There are many factors as to why this tarp is my fav, my w.l. B.d.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast