WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Well finally got to match your 22* out in Grand Gulch in Utah.....wish I could say I was as warm as you though. Only real problem with my setup was the 35* primaloft bag that I was using. It was just reaching it's lower limits and was just barely warm not toasty. My pad + thermaquilt kept my backside plenty warm though. If I had my 20* bag I would have probably been doing great though. Scary thing was when we got back to the ranger station we found out that the mesa that Grand Gulch cuts through was 5* up on top
    Last edited by Rushthezeppelin; 03-31-2009 at 02:53.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    My setup consisted of a Warbonnet Blackbird (1.1 single layer with triangular rings and webbing straps and biners), JRB Nest and No Sniveler, a JRB weather shield and JRB 10x11 tarp. That setup kept me warm for most of the night (we estimated a low of 22 degrees). But I did wake up cold in the middle of the night and had to place my Gossamer Gear NightLight pad under me (cold butt syndrome), which kept my torso nice and warm underneath the rest of the night. I was hoping that I might be able to extend the range of my Nest with the Weather Shield alone.
    Have you tried tieing one end closed of the JRB large tarp to stay a bit warmer?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the report! It's always fun to test out year gear and have it perform as you hoped!
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I did initially have both ends of the JRB tarp closed off (pitched using the shorter ridgeline). I had some trouble getting a taut pitch due to the sloped ground that I was camped over. I found that those more complex tarp configurations are much more difficult to achieve on uneven ground. I eventually used guylines on the downslope side (with the upslope side staked directly to the ground) to get a nice tight pitch. I could have eventually closed off both ends by more messing with the guylines, but decided to stick with what I had. It's not evident in the picture, but I did have the foot end closed off slightly, and left the head end open primarily for easier access. Fortunately the wind died out that evening and was dead calm throughout the night, so I don't think that was the issue for me in staying warm. Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Have you tried tieing one end closed of the JRB large tarp to stay a bit warmer?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Thumbs up

From those pics and others, it seems the Mogollon Rim country looks a lot like the Ochoco Mountains and other eastside ponderosa pine forests in central & eastern Oregon. 7000+ feet about= 4000 feet in central Oregon (?).

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Mike,

I've only been to AZ once, and no hiking was involved. I fell in love with the place, though. I really want to make it out there for a trip someday!

Todd

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    get on out here!
    Arizona, believe it or not... has 5 of the 6 possible climate zones. The only state that can boast such diversity. We dont have sub-tropics of Florida and Hawaii, but we got everything else. most people think it's all sand, or dirt. we have a dozen peaks over 10k and a few above 11k and one over 12k.
    also, ponderosa's here grow in micro climates and "pockets" down to about 3500 feet, but not in such thick woods as the higher climes. their normal habitat if you will, is around 5-11k'
    and here's the kicker... very few mosquitoes. its pretty dry around most the state. weird thing too - there is more ground water and springs/creeks down here near me at 1800' than there is at high country places like Flagstaff. Sections of the AZT up there can be miles, and miles without water sources.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    You are making me homesick for the West. I spent seven years out there after getting out of the service. I too love AZ and wish I could find a way to retire out there. Maybe someday. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    get on out here!
    Arizona, believe it or not... has 5 of the 6 possible climate zones. The only state that can boast such diversity. We dont have sub-tropics of Florida and Hawaii, but we got everything else. most people think it's all sand, or dirt. we have a dozen peaks over 10k and a few above 11k and one over 12k.
    also, ponderosa's here grow in micro climates and "pockets" down to about 3500 feet, but not in such thick woods as the higher climes. their normal habitat if you will, is around 5-11k'
    and here's the kicker... very few mosquitoes. its pretty dry around most the state. weird thing too - there is more ground water and springs/creeks down here near me at 1800' than there is at high country places like Flagstaff. Sections of the AZT up there can be miles, and miles without water sources.
    The one time I was lucky enought to visit, it was an awesome and beautiful place. Of course, Indiana is a little bland in most places...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Wow, nice country. AZ is an amazing place, there is so much diversity of terrain in that one state.
    Their is more geographic diversity in the shortest distance than anywhere else in North America.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast