Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Thanks for the responses thus far. Can anyone add their experience with this tarp with Tarp Skins? I have some Mountain Goat skins on my old tarp, but these are probably too large for the cuben...

All thoughts welcome.
    there was a comment about using snakeskins on these tarps. Adam and jenny recommend folding them and putting the tarp in the stuff sack. I tried putting some mesh snakeskins on the tarp and it dragged. I took them off and started folding( well hamhocker did) and they fit back in the stuff sack with room to spare
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

found the post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nu2hike
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I talked to Adam about how to store & he suggests that you don't stuff the tarp as you would with silnylon! He recommends folding instead!
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon

I had talked to Jenny and she told me the same thing. Unfortunately I put them in some mesh snake skins (like you did) and it doesn't do as good in them as silnylon tarps. Lets just say trying to fold them back to fit into the stuff sack could be a 2 person job

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    there was a comment about using snakeskins on these tarps. Adam and jenny recommend folding them and putting the tarp in the stuff sack. I tried putting some mesh snakeskins on the tarp and it dragged. I took them off and started folding( well hamhocker did) and they fit back in the stuff sack with room to spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    found the post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nu2hike
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I talked to Adam about how to store & he suggests that you don't stuff the tarp as you would with silnylon! He recommends folding instead!
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon

I had talked to Jenny and she told me the same thing. Unfortunately I put them in some mesh snake skins (like you did) and it doesn't do as good in them as silnylon tarps. Lets just say trying to fold them back to fit into the stuff sack could be a 2 person job

Thanks, my friend. That was the information for which I was looking! I looked again at Shug's video (4th or 5th time?) but I saw it through different eyes this time. I understand better how he handles the doors, and I will definately look for options on the doors and pull outs. It is not just that I am new to cuben, I have never used this general design (shape) tarp before.

I am really excited about getting my new tarp!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

We are looking forward to using ours but since hamhocker finally got a job (works weekends now) we aren't sure when we will be able to get out

Take lots of pics when you get out

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images

This is what I did...I love it.

-Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just tie my doors to a pull-out like Shug suggests. I tried using snakeskins but didn't like it. Now, I roll the tarp and guylines up, and carry three short loops of shockcord to secure the rolled up tarp and keep it from unrolling. Then I fold it up and put it in the stuff sack.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Those of you not using S.S's hows that work in winds? Id be afraid of it damaging it more than the skins Ive been using skins with no trouble so far. Folding seems it would put more stress on the cuben. HyOH.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Those of you not using S.S's hows that work in winds? Id be afraid of it damaging it more than the skins Ive been using skins with no trouble so far. Folding seems it would put more stress on the cuben. HyOH.
    I said "fold," but it's really more like a roll. After the tarp is rolled up and secured with shock cord (mine have plastic hooks), I then roll it lengthwise (ridgeline) and put it in stuff sack.

I just can't see folding the tarp in high winds - definitely a two-person job.
    Another reason I gave up snake skins was because I couldn't help thinking the snakeskins weighed more than the tarp!

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I said "fold," but it's really more like a roll. After the tarp is rolled up and secured with shock cord (mine have plastic hooks), I then roll it lengthwise (ridgeline) and put it in stuff sack.

I just can't see folding the tarp in high winds - definitely a two-person job.
    Another reason I gave up snake skins was because I couldn't help thinking the snakeskins weighed more than the tarp!
    Ok. I roll mine too. I made snake skins for mine ...weigh maybe and oz or so

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have been alternating between stuffing in a Zpacks bishop cuben bag,,and tarp skins...I am leaning more to stuffing as its much easier and packs better..but haven't made my mind up yet on how I carry my 4 season cuben tarp by HG..both ways work very well. As for the doors, I either fold them on the outside attached to each other or inside when not using them,,works both ways.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast