Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller

Dutchware adjustable ridgeline

I'm brand new to hammock camping, tarps, hammocks, ridgelines and suspension are all pretty foreign to me. I now have in my posession a WBBB, a GT ultralight, an Old Man Winter tarp which was already setup with suspension, and a War Bonnet Edge tarp. I recently purchased an adjustable ridge line from dutchware thinking I could use this as the suspension underneath my Edge tarp. I also ordered some other things, everything came exactly as promised and looked fantastic, but the adjustable ridgeline that I ordered is only 10' 5" in length total. Thus making it far too short to be used under the tarp.

I guess I must be confused on the difference between a ridgeline, and suspension, especially for a tarp. Isnt a tarps ridgeline what is used as the suspension? This seems to be the case for the Old Man Winter tarp I bought of a HF member, the ridgeline is one solid cord used to wrap around trees as well as support the tarp.

I emailed Dutch and he promptly emailed me back to let me know the ridgeline I ordered is actually supposed to be used as a ridgeline for a hammock. I suppose I could use this on my GT ultralight, but again I'm confused as how to hook this all up.

I clearly need to go back and watch more videos and read a bit more but I figured if some members could provide me some clarification why not? Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is ridiculously simple.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Easy thing to misunderstand.

There are two kinds of ridgelines.

1) A hammock structural ridgeline (or more commonly just called a ridgeline) is the ridgeline from one end of hammock to the other. On gathered end hammocks (like the blackbird) that lets you get a more consistent hang each time (you can dial in suspension until the ridgeline is firm but not overly tight) and to hang things on.

People make adjustable ridgelines to use on hammocks. It lets them make that ridgeline a bit longer or shorter to see what setting is most comfortable for them (other hammock ridgelines are set at a fixed length of 83% of the hammock length, which is the most comfortable setting for the most number of people).

2) A continuous ridgeline. That's what you use for tarps. Those are typically 30 feet long or so. They use hardware (dutch hooks, etc.) of various configurations, depending on the person, to wrap around the trees. A tarp can then be hung from the ridgeline and easily centered over the tarp.

Personally, I'd keep the adjustable ridgeline. You could use it on your GT or on any future DIY projects you have. You'll want to order at least 30 feet of zing-it line and some hardware to make a continuous ridgeline for the tarp. Some specific tarp setups can be found here:
    http://theultimatehang.com/category/howto/rig-a-tarp/

The first link addresses an approach for a continuous ridgeline with a tarp.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    +1 on the Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen. If you haven't seen it, this is a great resource available digitally or in paperback, and will save you a lot of time searching for hammock hanging info.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPappy View Post
    +1 on the Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen. If you haven't seen it, this is a great resource available digitally or in paperback, and will save you a lot of time searching for hammock hanging info.
    Great point. I was actually linking to his blog, but also have his book. It's a FANTASTIC resource.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    Thanks for your responses, Im gonna do some reading and some watching and figure it all out, I appreciate all your help!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcochran28 View Post
    I'm brand new to hammock camping, tarps, hammocks, ridgelines and suspension are all pretty foreign to me. I now have in my posession a WBBB, a GT ultralight, an Old Man Winter tarp which was already setup with suspension, and a War Bonnet Edge tarp. I recently purchased an adjustable ridge line from dutchware thinking I could use this as the suspension underneath my Edge tarp. I also ordered some other things, everything came exactly as promised and looked fantastic, but the adjustable ridgeline that I ordered is only 10' 5" in length total. Thus making it far too short to be used under the tarp.

I guess I must be confused on the difference between a ridgeline, and suspension, especially for a tarp. Isnt a tarps ridgeline what is used as the suspension? This seems to be the case for the Old Man Winter tarp I bought of a HF member, the ridgeline is one solid cord used to wrap around trees as well as support the tarp.

I emailed Dutch and he promptly emailed me back to let me know the ridgeline I ordered is actually supposed to be used as a ridgeline for a hammock. I suppose I could use this on my GT ultralight, but again I'm confused as how to hook this all up.

I clearly need to go back and watch more videos and read a bit more but I figured if some members could provide me some clarification why not? Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is ridiculously simple.
    If it is a tarp ridgeline you want, you should get it. If it wasn't offered before let me do it now. I will exchange that hammock ridgeline for a tarp ridgeline no problem. I wish we had different terminoligy for the two but we don't. Anyhow exchange it for the gear you want. We are closing to go to Mt Rogers. But it will ship out Monday if you like.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    Dutch, I really appreciate that, and would love it if I could exchange. You have been nothing but helpful with your prompt email and your response here. Just let me know how to ship back to you/ what the cost is to get the tarp ridgeline shipped and I would be very grateful! Thanks again!

• + New Posts