HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    don't laugh---so that I can easily get the height of the tarp and bridge right, easily, I've hung a length of cord that is Just The Right Height from the tarp's ridgeline tie-out. It hangs down, I pitch the tarp so that it just touches the ground. The rest of it follows directly. Hammock ridgeline goes immediately under the tarp ridgeline, tightened up on the trees before the real suspension lines are attached. When that's tight and level (use a $2 level from Home Depot) attach the main suspension lines to the ridgeline rings, and attach webbing at tree using as steep an angle as you can. Tighten the suspension lines until they are pulling up on the rings. Remove ridgeline cord to trees. Clip on hammock. All of the above takes a couple of minutes.

I cheated though. I left out the step of pitching the tarp after the height is right. Fussing with getting the stakes right takes a little while, but that's true for any tarp.

That all said, it is more complicated to pitch the bridge. I think with practice though it doesn't take overly long. That said, at the end of a 14 hour hike/ride/paddle, even simpler is better. No arguments.

with a 41" spread you have serious tarp issues!

Grizz

Grizz, you have this stuff down to a science, its primarily due to your posts and explanations that I even made a bridge at all, and I'm definitely not laughing on the ground height gage deal, I'd not even thought of that and its a great idea. And you're also right, my "wide body" increases the difficulty level significantly but the wider spread is soooo much more comfy for me! Who knows what I'll end up using - and therein lies all the fun

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

HH Explorer works too

Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    I just ordered the Speer for a couple of reasons: the ridgeline on the Speer is 11 ft. giving about a foot of coverage at each end (the Claytor will be about 9 ft. hung with sag). The JRB is only 10 ft. when pitched in the tarp tent configuration and their add states that it works well with standard size hammocks like the expediton which is only 8 ft. long. Also lighter. I hope to try it this weekend with my Claytor.
    FWIW, we have ammended our web site to indicate the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp when pitched with a 10 foot ridge line will form the Winter Tarp shape that readily handles all hammocks up too and including the HH Explorer models. After some additional testing we found this model was also an easy fit.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    FWIW, we have ammended our web site to indicate the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp when pitched with a 10 foot ridge line will form the Winter Tarp shape that readily handles all hammocks up too and including the HH Explorer models. After some additional testing we found this model was also an easy fit.

Pan
    Pan, why don't you guys sell the JRB Cat Tarp seam sealed? Wouldn't that be an attractive selling point?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Pan, why don't you guys sell the JRB Cat Tarp seam sealed? Wouldn't that be an attractive selling point?
    Hooch,

Seam sealing is labor intensive, yet very simple... It is the type of thing that everyone can do... Sealing a straight line, 11 foot seam is a no brainer.

Also when one learns to take care of ones gear and invests their time into gear improvement/maintenance they generally feel better about their overall preparedness.... Plus they get some of that DIY pride often spoken about around here...

Finally JRB believes in light weight, low volume, comfortable, simple solutions with multiple use options and is dedicated to keeping prices down.

Bottom line, Hooch, is that we think saveing money is a more attractive selling point.

FWIW, as a customer service, like when a tarp must be shipped to a trail drop, JRB has performed this service for hikers... If you have a special need it is always best to contact the manufacturer, especially the cottage industry as they, any of them, can and willingly perform service far beyond the major maufacturering sources.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

seam sealing

Hooch,

Seam sealing is labor intensive, yet very simple... It is the type of thing that everyone can do... Sealing a straight line, 11 foot seam is a no brainer.

Pan
    Totally disagree! I'm not that good at it, always add too much, looks sloppy because I don't do it often enough and it still leaks. Plus, if you get a tarp replacement while you're on the trail, you may have a hard time finding the room or high enough temperature you need to apply seam sealing. It has a lot to do with why I use a MacCat tarp now and pretty much refuse to buy gear that needs seam sealing and isn't at least offered as an option by the makers. As best I can tell, it only adds about $10 worth of labor to add seam sealing.

It appears I'm in a complete minority in this opinion, although maybe not. It's the manufacturers who feel this way and most customers have no choice in the matter.

Sorry, I'll be quiet now.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The SWT uses a spray on silicone seam sealer on their tarps. When I first got mine I could not tell that it was seam sealed. I contact Ed and he told me about the spray on seam sealer they use. After getting the tarp out in the sunlight I could see where the sealer had been applied. I didn't think that the spray on sealer performed that well but I have never had any leaks from the SWT. Ed also told me that I can use the silicone based spray sealer from WalMart to re-waterproof the seams every couple of years.

If you don't like the old, standard method of sealing seams with silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits and a paint brush or syringe, then the spray on seam sealer may be a quick and easy option for you.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-22-2008 at 11:05.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    If you don't like the old, standard method of sealing seams with silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits and a paint brush or syringe, then the spray on seam sealer may be a quick and easy option for you.
    HC this is good to know. I have avoided buying products that require seem sealing because the old method sounded like a PIA. This option sounds hassle free!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    All great advice, but I agree with Pan, being self reliant and taking care of your gear is a big part of the wilderness experience. Taking time to practice simple repairs on your gear also gives you more confidence in yourself and your gear. JMHO Cheers!
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hooch,

Also when one learns to take care of ones gear and invests their time into gear improvement/maintenance they generally feel better about their overall preparedness.... Plus they get some of that DIY pride often spoken about around here...

Finally JRB believes in light weight, low volume, comfortable, simple solutions with multiple use options and is dedicated to keeping prices down.

Bottom line, Hooch, is that we think saveing money is a more attractive selling point.

FWIW, as a customer service, like when a tarp must be shipped to a trail drop, JRB has performed this service for hikers... If you have a special need it is always best to contact the manufacturer, especially the cottage industry as they, any of them, can and willingly perform service far beyond the major maufacturering sources.

Pan
    Thanx for the intel, Pan. It's always good to have folks who are in the cottage gear industry here for answers like that. Saving money is an attractive selling point, I have to agree with you on that one. Hope to see you guys at Trail Days this year or maybe the MAHHA hang in the fall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234