Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

DIY Permethrin Treatment

Bug season is just around the corner and now's a good time for you to prepare.

First things first-
    ~~~~~
    Disclaimer - Please do your research about the suitability of treating your gear with Permethrin. Also please be aware that the Sawyer products are specifically labeled for use on personal clothing. If you have any doubts or concerns, please purchase Sawyer Clothing Insect Repellant. http://www.sawyer.com/permethrin.htm
    Here's a link to Sawyer's MSDS http://www.sawyer.com/msds/MSDS%20SP...rinSoak-02.pdf
    Here's a link to PBI Gordon Permethrin-10 MSDS http://media.ruralking.com/docs/pdf/070010266msds.pdf
    Note - The Permethrin-10 directions contain the statement "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling."
    As always this is maybe not the best way or the only way. It's just the way I did it.
    ~~~~~

* Purchased an 8oz. bottle of PBI Gordon Permethrin-10 from my local Rural King store here in Ohio. This year they sell for $6.99 per 8oz. bottle.

* Strung up several pieces of twine up in the garage, away from the cats.
    * Mixed up the 8oz. bottle of Permethrin 10% with 19 parts (1.2 gallons) of water in a 5 gallon bucket. This should yield a 0.5% solution.
    * Dunked all backpacking gear for myself and my 2 sons (pants, shirts, hats, hammocks, bug nets, etc.)
    * Shut up the garage for the day to eliminate harming any stray critters until all gear is thouroghly dry.

I had approx a pint leftover in the bucket so I used the rest as a premise spray around the back porch, spraying on the deck, railing and doorway to help combat flies and mosquitos.

This has worked well for me through the year on several trips and approx 150 miles and I plan to repeat this procedure this year.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 03-28-2011 at 09:05.

We just purchased the Sawyer brand Saturday with my REI dividend. That was the only brand they sold. We will be treating our clothes and hammocks within the next week or so.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

If you look at my previous thread on the Permethrin subject, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=permethrin you will see that I have used "Sawyer" brand "Only" and I contacted them via email and I posted my email with their responses in the thread!

Also there are many threads on the subject if you do a search like this one http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=3743792 you will see that it comes up with waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy tooooooooooo many threads, but if you just scroll down the list and look for threads that start with Permethrin or adjust your search method, you can find all the info you need! I say this as contained in all the threads are pretty much most if not all the answers from many, many people whom have used this product with much success, I wish they were all in one spot, but that is not the case!

Hope this helps???
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    We treated our uniforms with this stuff during bug season while I was in the service and it really does wonders. Once your clothes are treated, especially if you're wearing a hat and your boots/socks are treated, you're in very good shape as far as ticks. Mosquitoes/biting flies might still find the occasional bare spot they can tolerate biting you, but a quick smear of deet cream in those two or three little areas will take care of that. For me it was always the mid shin/calf and my hands that they'd still get me if wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

Definitely worth the effort, and the military treatments lasted like 10 washings I think. I dunno what the commercial versions claim.

-Smalls

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    If you look at my previous thread on the Permethrin subject, http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=permethrin you will see that I have used "Sawyer" brand "Only" and I contacted them via email and I posted my email with their responses in the thread!

could you post your email and their reply on the regular boards
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just treated 2 hammocks last week, getting ready for R+R back home. I'll probably treat the clothes when i get home. I used the military issue stuff since it was not being used by anyone else here. Ive used it before and it seems to work well. I would put a tick on my pant leg and see how far he got before falling off, usually 2-4 inches and they are gone. Cheap entertainment in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    If you click on the link it takes you to the thread that I started and it has the question and answer! Not sure if that answers your question or not??
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    See post number 1 and 45 in this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=permethrin this is the thread that I linked earlier that I started on the Permethrin subject!
    Hope this helps??

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Purchased an 8oz. bottle of PBI Gordon Permethrin-10 from my local Rural King store here in Ohio. This year they sell for $6.99 per 8oz. bottle.
    I bought the same brand stuff from Tractor Supply Company, in a 32 oz bottle (10% permethrin) recently for about $18.00. About the same price as I paid for a 24 oz bottle of .5% Sawyer's at REI last year. The Sawyer's worked great and I hope the Gordon's will too, once I dilute it to .5%.

But I do have a question. Sawyer's does not say what the 99.5% inert ingredients are, but Gordon's does say "contains petroleum distillates." Those worry me more than the permethrin active ingredient. Don't petroleum distillates melt some synthetic fabrics?! Also, will it dilute well and mix well with water?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    See post number 1 and 45 in this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=permethrin this is the thread that I linked earlier that I started on the Permethrin subject! Hope this helps??
    YES! Thanks for the post numbers. Those two posts were very helpful. I appreciate it!

And answers my question about the petroleum distillates too.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast