DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    [ BTW-- a product called Sugru plays well with magnets. For example, suspend water bottle or shoes from hammock edge.

When you had posted about Sugru, I had forgotten about my neighbor showing me some he had been given by his daughter-in-law. I might have to see if he can spare a little so I can play with it!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    cool. Look forward to the report on this! the company is selling sugru in larger amounts per package if you get hooked. the little chicklet sizes can be fruatratingly small.
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    [ BTW-- a product called Sugru plays well with magnets. For example, suspend water bottle or shoes from hammock edge.
    Check these out, surface mount possibility.

http://www.amazon.com/Magcraft-NSN05.../dp/B000SJMVMI

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Here is the hammock with both edges joined together. Seems I have an intruder!

This is nice to keep blowing debris out of the hammock when not in use!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338676829.740113.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338676847.196232.jpg

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    H'n'h I've got a question. Did you have any trouble maintaining polarity with all these magnets? I like the idea of connecting the sides of my under cover making it a 'pod' but with magnets on the undercover, the hammock and the UQ and possibly the bugnet it looks like it could get interesting. Using just washers on some might make it easier but could still be a brain buster. Maybe I'm just over thinking it but that's all I can do now as I can't tear it apart until I get back from Virginia in a couple of weeks. Picking up my little 'intruder' next week and have to have something to hang in up there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have decided against using magnets on a bug net. Seemed too fiddle prone. I also do not use them in my UQ. I am sending this right now from the hammock. My first night out in it, so we go from theory to real world! My old down sleeping bag I made into a UQ is staying right where I want it with no magnets attached. We'll see what happens overnight. My biggest issue so far was making sure my ends were secured so this heavy UQ didn't drag it down and misalign the magnets creating a big sag with the edges disconnected. Once I did that it seems fine. I think if you attached some grosgrain with a magnet in the end to an UQ, it would stay put that much better. Every time you add a magnet to the stack the bond gets much stronger. I have a poncho liner on the way I want to try in here with no mods. I think it'll work great.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Polarpod / UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/rings
    Any chance the magnets alone could hold up a uq without attaching to the suspension?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timdgsr View Post
    Any chance the magnets alone could hold up a uq without attaching to the suspension?
    Most likely, depending on the UQ weight. One of the light down ones probably could relatively easily. My magnets are spread pretty far apart and mostly keep edges together along with bearing some but not all weight. Throw more magnets in the mix and they could hold a decent amount of weight.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Report from first overnight in Magna-Hammock! My insulation stayed exactly where I put it. When I got in, I was able to slide it where I wanted it since the lower layer is not squeezing tight like on a sewed DL. My feather/down modified sleeping bag UQ kept its loft and I had the best night's sleep I have ever had in a hammock. I am really pleased with this setup. And my iPhone didn't melt down from the magnetic fields!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    When you had posted about Sugru, I had forgotten about my neighbor showing me some he had been given by his daughter-in-law. I might have to see if he can spare a little so I can play with it!
    If he doesn't have any to spare (turns out it's pretty spendy stuff) here is a link for a diy sugru substitute called oogoo. I use it on all my iPhone connectors which (for no reason other than to drive me absolutely insane) all at once decided to separate from the plugs, leaving exposed wires waiting to be pulled out--works like a charm :

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ru-Substitute/

By the way, this thread might help ease the animosity and tension between me and my pad (which does it's level best to slide around and bunch on me). And if it doesn't, it might get me a little closer to trying a repurposed sleeping bag as an UQ. I've still got some rare earth magnets that I bough from Harbor Freight and one month till my next planned campout... hmmm, wonder what I'm gonna be doing this month?
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast