DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Bineritis

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    T'anks fer the info RunningFeather.........
    Yo' .... bring the Gorge!
    It'll be tough for a biner junkie like me to leave them home but these little guys are multi-purpose, stronger, and infinitely lighter
    Last edited by Running Feather; 05-03-2010 at 10:50.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    The shorties are 24", the longer ones 36". All six together weigh 12 grams (Dynaglide).

I called them Klemheists because that is their intended use (the long ones). The shorties will be used as Nacrabiners and were experiments.

I spliced the shackle 6" from the end and buried the tail. The end is a back splice using a figure eight knot. I'd use a diamond knot if it were being used for weight bearing.

I made a few traditional Nacrabiners but wasn't happy with twin tails. The back splice makes a nice stopper knot as it is thicker.

Gingers Rule
    I really like making these too, maybe i will learn how to tie a diamond knot by doing this.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Easy method to not lose the nacrabiner... just larkshead the nacra to the whoopie, when pulled tight it won't move, but if you wish to adjust it can slide along, that way you can keep track of them!
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Just made my first ones. The diamond knot took a few times of watching YouTube videos. What I hav found is that by making the adjustable loop on he small side it is easier to have the lines equalized when loaded. Maybe that is just me but that would be my suggestion to someone just trying this for the first tme.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have altered my tarp suspension once again - this is a never ending quest for something to do to keep me from going crazy between hikes.

I should say I am still evaluating this. So far the results have been favorable.

I'm dropping the use of toggles from the tarp ridge line and tie outs.

I'm replacing with nacrabiners, or derivatives thereof.

In my use, I'm not using the nacrabiner in the "traditional" sense of a carabiner replacement, rather I want the Lanyard knot knob.

When using the full nacrabiner, I put the nacrabiner through the tarp tie out webbing/D-ring/grosgrain and close up in the nacrabiner. But then instead of having the load also through the nacrabiner, I grab the lanyard knot knob and pull the nacrabiner fully closed/collapsed.

Thus securing it to the tie out.

I now have a knob over which I place the loop of a Prussic knot (traditional or Penberthy). The Prussic loop acts just like the loop of the nacrabiner and is captured by the knob thus securing the guy line to the tie out.

This, of course, dictates that I make the nacrabiner very small which is also no problem.

Since I use a full ridge line, I do the same with the ridge line tie outs and the Prussics on the ridge line.

Ikemouser bears the full blame for this latest craziness on my part . He was looking to try and get rid of the toggles and his quest started my imagination working.

At first I thought why bother, I find toggles on the ground all the time all over the ground. But his quest would not leave me in peace and I thought: Okay I'm really, really lazy and if I can find a way to keep from having to bend over and pick up a toggle, it makes my life that much more complete.

I'm at that point in my life that George Burns defined: "you know you are getting old when you bend over to tie your shoe laces and look around to see what else you can do while you are down there."

So in thinking of this problem, I decided to just eliminate the toggles and not have to go to all that trouble of picking them up.

So in using a nacrabiner today, it occurred to me that I'm using the Prussic loop and looking for something to hook it to - the nacrabiner knob of course.

The only problem or disadvantage I have encountered thus far is if the load on the guy line and hence the Prussic loop is relaxed. At that time the Loop of the Prussic knot can open and fall off the Lanyard knot knob.

I have experimented with a Solomon Bar knot, tied around the Prussic loop that I can slide the length of the loop. When over the Lanyard knot knob, I slide the Solomon Bar tight against the knob, thus capturing the loop on the knob.

To release it is a simple matter to slide the Solomon Bar away from the knob and lift the loop off the knob.

So far the Solomon Bar works very well and I have had no difficulties.

Also, I figure that since I haven't really changed anything, I can always use a trail toggle if the nacrabiner knob fails for some reason such as losing the Solomon Bar knot.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 05-05-2010 at 20:00.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Along those lines, a couple of years ago Dutch drilled some holes in English pound coins for me to do something like this

grizzly dont want to call you a racist but theres no such thing as an english pound coin ,it is infact a british pound coin ,from a concerned welshman , lol.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Haha my bad teedee! I'm gonna do the same thing with my fig 9-that is replace it with some kind of nacra biner. Right now I have my tarps permenately attached to the continuous ridgeline via tiny continuous loops in a 5 wrap prussic configuration. I need to get thAt fig 9 replaced with something similar to what you are doing but I am worried about not being able to get enough torque to really get it tight like a guitar string. With the fig 9 I can really crank it down.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by asimmons4 View Post
    Easy method to not lose the nacrabiner... just larkshead the nacra to the whoopie, when pulled tight it won't move, but if you wish to adjust it can slide along, that way you can keep track of them!
    are you larksheading before or after the nacrabiner is completed?
    Last edited by ikemouser; 05-06-2010 at 08:44.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    are you larksheading before or after the nacra boner is completed?
    woah... never heard of that before

Well I complete the nacrabiner with the diamond stopper knot and then connect the "biner", then i larkshead that to the whoopie. I haven't lost mine yet! I'll try and get pictures on tomorrow maybe.
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Oops lol I am typing on an iPhone, only a few pixels seperAte I and o.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast