Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

The search for the perfect suspension

My odyssey started simple enough. I was laying in my hammock thinking about my next hiking trip. Specifically I was thinking about ways I could cut some weight from my WBBB and of course my mind fixed on the stock suspension. Don't get me wrong, the stock straps and buckles work great and are almost completely idiot proof. (Which is always a plus when I am involved) But as we all know it is on the heavy side and very bulky. So what is a poor boy today?

And then it hit my like a bolt of lightening. Whoopieslings!

So I got online and ordered up a set of slings and tree straps from Dutch complete with Dutch clips. Looked pretty fool proof to me. Easy to install, versatile and much much lighter. I placed the order and a few days later had them installed on my hammock and all was well with the world.

Except well, the stock tree straps were just a little on the small side. We have some pretty good sized trees here in the south east and the 4 footers that came from Dutch were a little on the short side. So what to do, what to do?

Order longer tree straps!

Sure that will fix everything I told myself and I ordered up a set of 8 footers from Whoopieslings.com. They arrived a few days latter and fit perfect. Good quality, plenty of length, loops sewn with double boxed ends. Hammock went up nice and easy with plenty of room for any tree I would want to hang from and all was well with the world.

Except well, the straps and six foot whoopies were almost too long. The whoopies from Dutch attached to the tree straps at the very end and now if the tree was on the small side I had to wrap the strap around the tree several times which made it a little more difficult to get that perfect hang. What to do, what to do.

Convert to a toggle and use a marlin spike hitch! Perfect!

So off to Home Depot I went to get some aluminum tubing. Zip Zip went the chop saw, well more like GRRRRR GRRRRRR, a quick stop by the belt sander to knock down the burs and a finish polish with some 00 steel wool. Two nice new shiny toggles. A quick trip to Shug's Youtube site to figure out how to tie the Marlin Spike hitch. Hammock goes up easy peasy with a perfect hang angle on the first try and all is well with the world.

Well except, now I really didn't need the dutch clips to connect the whoopies to the hammock. I know it is a small thing but I am a big believer in the K.I.S.S. principle and it was one more point of possible failure. (Not that Dutch's gear is anything but top quality) I could just remove the dutch clips but, that would be too easy. Plus I might want to use that suspension for another Hammock. (Did I mention I am a hoarder when it comes to gear. ) So I just ordered a second set of whoopieslings, this time from whoopieslings.com. And now I am sure that this will be the perfect suspension and all will be well with the world.

But you know, now I have two complete spare suspension systems just laying around. DIY hammock anyone?

--louis

PS: Hammocks should come with a warning from the Surgeon General stating that if you start tinkering with your hammock it could be bad for your mental health.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by louisfb View Post
    And now I am sure that this will be the perfect suspension and all will be well with the world.
    If I had a nickel for every time I said that, I'd have at least $3.87.
    The obsession will continue, don't you worry about that.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I just fiddled with my completed dream system on the first really cold hands day we've had ... can you say "knotted suspension?" LOL

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    And now I am sure that this will be the perfect suspension and all will be well with the world.

--louis
    Wanna bet? I'll see you at the 3rd Annual Hang and give you something else to think about.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    What do you do when your woopie sling freezes?
    I think that's what happened. It was cold, freezing or below, and it just would not adjust. I had plenty of slack, but couldn't get it to pull through. I'm glad it was just in the back yard. I pulled it off and stuck it it my pocket, replacing it with a nylon strap. Buy do I need an underquilt.
    10 minutes later I pulled it (the woopie sling) out of my pocket, it worked fine.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Aren't we all in search of a perfect suspension?

I just cobbled together the parts for yet another suspension idea. I have a box full of suspensions; no two alike!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I was lying there in the hammock on a perfect day outside, as many others no doubt have done, contemplating the perfect suspension.

It seems the greatest variable in the problem is trees: distance between them and whether they have branches in all the right places. The season/weather is also a notable variable. Everything else is or can be fairly constant, such as a comfortable lie in your hammock and how high a man can reach.

It seems to me that the only way to reconcile these two factors (constants/limitations vs. variables) is through the brute strength of highly rated equipment (Amsteel, webbing, and hardware) used in a SLS.

I look forward to olddog showing us his finished system.

Mike

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So I got online and ordered up a set of slings and tree straps from Dutch complete with Dutch clips. Looked pretty fool proof to me. Easy to install, versatile and much much lighter. I placed the order and a few days later had them installed on my hammock and all was well with the world.

Except well, the stock tree straps were just a little on the small side. We have some pretty good sized trees here in the south east and the 4 footers that came from Dutch were a little on the short side. So what to do, what to do?
    Adding a continuous loop to the tree straps works for me. I carry a few different sizes to get around larger trees.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Aren't we all in search of a perfect suspension?
    I thought we were waiting for Dutch to invent it ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It's obvious to me that if the SRL was equal to the rest of the suspension then the hang angle would not be so critical.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-14-2012 at 21:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast