Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Thanks everyone!

I think I mistyped. The material I have is 1.1 ripstop. Not sil. So sorry for the misunderstanding...

As far as the shape issue goes, why would dealing with the coffin shape be so difficult compared to the rectangle? It seems to me it would be the same process of cutting out the fabric and insulation to match, then sewing everything together and putting in the drawstrings on the end...am I missing something?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I played around with seeing how much I could cut off an UQ to make the shape a JRB rectangle takes whan the ends are gather as an UQ. I found that is didn't remove nearly as much square inches as I thought. It would also take a lot more design work, but that is fun. I think I'm leaning towards a 3/4 UQ for now. That would save a much more weight than shaping. You still need a small pad under your legs it the temp is cool at all. But my homemade packs need a pad any how. Maybe the Jacks should see this need and produce an 3/4 UQ...hint, hint.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    It seems to me it would be the same process of cutting out the fabric and insulation to match, then sewing everything together and putting in the drawstrings on the end...am I missing something?
    No, I don't think you are missing anything. It does require 'slightly' more thought to fashion a coffin shaped quilt instead of rectangle, but not much. I think we're all just used to seeing rectangle quilts.

I think you should proceed with the coffin-shaped design...explore the design possibility and post information of your progress.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have a KAQ for my speer type hammock, it works, mostly. At least it is under all of me. I am thinking that I would prefer a rectangle because: the HH that the KAQ is designed to fit is pretty much a head to R of center line, feet to L of center line. I like to switch from side to side because my ankles start to hurt after a while. There have been times that when I'm in the L to R postion, my feet have gotten slighly cooler than when I'm R to L.I have hung it "upside down" but the difference is so small, I usually don't bother.
    That said, I can without any additional insulation get down to 30 degrees with my KAQ as configured.
    When I get/make a new underquilt, I will be getting or making a rectangle. Or maybe slightly tapered at each end.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    I have a KAQ on my ENO double nest, Zak has one on his Single. Both work fine. I also have a Snugfit, and use it on my double nest. I don't really notice the asym cut of the KAQ, but would probably give you more laying options.

Images
    i have used sil for an uq. never had any condensation problems. not sure id want a top quilt like that though.

you would have to meke the whole thing out of sil though. like others have said, just using it on the outside would be bad. moisture from you would go in, but not be able to pass through. it would collect inside the insul. if both sides are sil, it is protected from body vapor and weather. it is harder to squeeze the air out, so i added a 12" zipper to the shell this was dual purpose, allowed air to enter and exit for loft/compression and allowed the uq to be flipped inside out on the off chance it somehow got wet inside, this way it could easily be dried.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 04-03-2008 at 21:37.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Warbonnet,

I think you solved the Sil quilt question. The zipper sounds ingenious, and I'm sure velcro would work as well. I will stick with DWR though, thank you for pointing out the obvious, but never thought of, opening idea. Reading your post made me feel like I needed to hit my head and say "why didn't I think of that?" Thanks

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    After mulling over this all evening, I think I have decided on a rectangular 3/4 quilt. I feel the weight cut from making it a coffin will be negligable compared to the reassurance that I have what I need to keep me warm. I think the ease of design is another thing leading me to the rectangular quilt. This is only the fourth thing I will have sewn, so I can surely make a coffin shaped one later if I want to try it out.

Thank you all for your help and willingness to discuss this idea!

After mulling over this all evening, I think I have decided on a rectangular 3/4 quilt. I feel the weight cut from making it a coffin will be negligable compared to the reassurance that I have what I need to keep me warm. I think the ease of design is another thing leading me to the rectangular quilt. This is only the fourth thing I will have sewn, so I can surely make a coffin shaped one later if I want to try it out.

I think that is the sweet spot in terms of max warmth for the weight.

Images

Wink Can't fight this feelin' anymore...

Okay, so one can never really decide on a design or stop thinking about alternatives! I have this problem, see...I have to admit it...I am addicted to gear design! Whoo! I said it...feeling better already....

After continuing to think about this, I realize that my comfortable spot in my hammock is on the diagonal, so my initial concept that I was flawed in the sense that I was assuming I am laying straight...so, I thought of another assumption about the KAQ I made, and I thought I would run it by you all...

Is the purpose for locating the darts where they are ( http://www.kickassquilts.com/images/makefull/plan.jpg ) 1) to work with the HH a-sym line of hammocks, or 2) is it to accomidate the shape the body makes when laying on the diagonal in the hammock? (Technically, I guess it could be both...)

And, I will go one step further and ask if it is #2, does that mean I will only be able to lay on the one diagonal?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast