Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Tylasca Spool Shackles

For those of you not following the New product for Figure 9 users we've had some interesting discussion on finding new lightweight adjustment systems for suspension.

While looking around for something that fits that description, I found a product called Tylaska spool shackle
    It's basically a way to do a larks head with the rope end. The summary said the 'oring' wasn't necessary and I'd bet having the end tied into a loop isn't either.
    Here's the directions.
    For 1/8" rope it only weighs 2.8g with a 2000 lb breaking strength.
    The main problem is the price.....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    so it looks like just a quick attach/un attach, but not adjustable.

i've been using the internal piece from a double barrel toggle to attach/unattach my tarp guylines to the pull tabs in the exact same way. they are plastic and weigh about 1.5g ea. makes a light quick atatch/reatatch.

seems like a regular larks head is just as easy to attach line to hammock with, and line attached to rings is often semi permanent as well (regular larks head)

these look very strong, but what application do you see this used in?

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    For those of you not following the New product for Figure 9 users we've had some interesting discussion on finding new lightweight adjustment systems for suspension.

While looking around for something that fits that description, I found a product called Tylaska spool shackle
    It's basically a way to do a larks head with the rope end. The summary said the 'oring' wasn't necessary and I'd bet having the end tied into a loop isn't either.
    Here's the directions.
    For 1/8" rope it only weighs 2.8g with a 2000 lb breaking strength.
    The main problem is the price.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-09-2007 at 20:13.

Images
    Well I figured if the loop was made with a tautline hitch, you could adjust the length that way. I don't think that has to be a strong knot there to hold tight around the spool. Since it's strong enough it could be used on the suspension. You could have a tree hugger hitched to the tree, 1/8" line tied to that, the other end of the 1/8" line would have a loop with a tautline hitch and attach it to the hammock with the spool. The hammock would either have to have a loop of webbing or rope, or a ring.
    Cool idea with the toggles on the tarp.
    Scott

RWE

Images
    ok, i could see that. the tautline might work with less load on it.

looks like you would have to unatatch the thing from the "ring" to adjust the tautline loop. this might be less convenient than adjusting a wrap, but you would probably have to try it to find out. the weight is right though. i could try with the plastic one, just to see how easy it is to adjust.

those plastic pieces are about 1.5g ea. actually, not 1g. i'll edit the post.
    they are a real convenience. i hope that company doesn't accuse me of infringement and tell me to stop sending them out with my tarps.

funny how people with similar problems come up with similar solutions.

you weren't kidding about the price! what the hell? are they hand made or something? that seems more than a little steep
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-09-2007 at 20:35.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you weren't kidding about the price! what the hell? are they hand made or something? that seems more than a little steep
    You try making a tiny piece of plastic that you'll warranty to a 2000 lbs. breaking strength, for use on the ocean, where room for error could mean sinking.

But seriously... These things are used in performance sailboats that are obsessed with weight enough to be shaving ounces off their hardware by using these things instead of metal. Ounces of weight savings when a boat weighs like 500 lbs to several tons. I guess when you reach that level, price probably isn't you're primary motivation.

Images
    Well grizz made a good point in that you'd have to have the two parts you are trying to join disconnected in order to make an adjustment. That isn't all that convenient. He also pointed out that makes it real easy to loose that sucker....and that sucker ain't cheap. Oh well, another idea turned to dust.
    Scott

RWE

Images
    well, those things are made of aluminum not plastic, and aside from that little pin, which doesn't do much, there are no moving parts. it's just a tiny aluminum cylinder with a hole in the middle.

how is it any different from climbing companies making caribiners that hold people's lives in the balance just as much if not probably alot more so? a good biner costs 6$

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    You try making a tiny piece of plastic that you'll warranty to a 2000 lbs. breaking strength, for use on the ocean, where room for error could mean sinking.

But seriously... These things are used in performance sailboats that are obsessed with weight enough to be shaving ounces off their hardware by using these things instead of metal. Ounces of weight savings when a boat weighs like 500 lbs to several tons. I guess when you reach that level, price probably isn't you're primary motivation.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    well, those things are made of aluminum not plastic, and aside from that little pin, which doesn't do much, there are no moving parts. it's just a tiny aluminum cylinder with a hole in the middle.

how is it any different from climbing companies making caribiners that hold people's lives in the balance just as much if not probably alot more so? a good biner costs 6$
    I agree it's expensive for what it is, but Nails is right if that's the target market. That whole supply and demand economics thing. I guess if people will pay it, they are gonna charge it!
    Scott

RWE

Images
    i scrolled down the aps page a little farther.

the same company, Tylasca, sells a dyneema loop. it's 30cm (~1 foot) long and costs $71

if i go to www.yatesgear.com i can find one that is 2 feet long (their shortest length) also made of dyneema, but cost $6.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    I agree it's expensive for what it is, but Nails is right if that's the target market. That whole supply and demand economics thing. I guess if people will pay it, they are gonna charge it!
    i guess if they can afford a racing sailboat, they're probably too rich to care

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast