Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    What do y'all think about removing all the stock suspension except for the corner rings, and making a LARGE whoopie fixed loop going through both corner rings and, when the spreader bars are inserted, creates a triangle the same size as stock? Would this work? Or would the drastic angle imposed on the splice (at the top of the triangle) be problematic?
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    What do y'all think about removing all the stock suspension except for the corner rings, and making a LARGE whoopie fixed loop going through both corner rings and, when the spreader bars are inserted, creates a triangle the same size as stock? Would this work? Or would the drastic angle imposed on the splice (at the top of the triangle) be problematic?
    It might work, but I'm no expert that's for sure. However, how much weigh and bulk will replacing the short stretch of webbing from the corner rings to the center/outer ring save you? Plus, if I am picturing your plan correctly, you will now need a new stretch of Amsteel where there is none now: going from one corner to the other, further subtracting any small weight savings. At least it is a simple matter with no major alterations to swap a whoopie at the outer ring for the webbing and Tri-glides.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It might work, but I'm no expert that's for sure. However, how much weigh and bulk will replacing the short stretch of webbing from the corner rings to the center/outer ring save you? Plus, if I am picturing your plan correctly, you will now need a new stretch of Amsteel where there is none now: going from one corner to the other, further subtracting any small weight savings. At least it is a simple matter with no major alterations to swap a whoopie at the outer ring for the webbing and Tri-glides.
    That was my thought too... I think the greatest weight savings would come from removing the top rings, but who knows if it would even be worth it.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i agree with BB , you are now adding stuff with the continuous triangle.

i got one to play with, - since i wasn't happy with the original (sore shoulders), i wanted to try the shallower design.

plan is to replace all webbing with dynaglide, and swap out the main center ring with a dutch biner-- save maybe 1-2 oz.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post

i got one to play with, - since i wasn't happy with the original (sore shoulders), i wanted to try the shallower design.

plan is to replace all webbing with dynaglide, and swap out the main center ring with a dutch biner-- save maybe 1-2 oz.
    Couldn't you just larkshead the main whoopie loop to the two secondary whoopies? Or is there a reason behind using the dutch biner?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling

I was the same way, I sold my original because of the shoulder squeeze (and the weight...), and have a new model on order. If I like it, I'll be modding it up!

Images

I was the same way, I sold my original because of the shoulder squeeze (and the weight...), and have a new model on order. If I like it, I'll be modding it up!
    I have not slept in mine yet, have not eve hung it from trees, just my flexy hammock stand. Seems to be noticeably more room in the shoulders to me, though it is still not what I would call wide open compared to some gathered types. But it sure won't bother me any- I am used to the original, and there is an improvement. Also seems to make an even better chair- not as much leg pressure. Vision out the sides of the hammock is improved. As always, back support is unsurpassed in chair mode.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have not slept in mine yet, have not eve hung it from trees, just my flexy hammock stand. Seems to be noticeably more room in the shoulders to me, though it is still not what I would call wide open compared to some gathered types. But it sure won't bother me any- I am used to the original, and there is an improvement. Also seems to make an even better chair- not as much leg pressure. Vision out the sides of the hammock is improved. As always, back support is unsurpassed in chair mode.
    thanks BB, the few gripes i had with the original have been addressed in this statement. all of them actually. can't wait to give it a go.

will, of course, update with any installed mods regarding suspension.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Has anybody modded the UL yet?

I was thinking the other day - what about removing the stock suspension (3 rings and all), and replacing it with an amsteel Y, connecting the 2 Y ends directly to the webbing loops on each side. Then, the spreader bars would spread between each of the Y's appendages. Doable? I don't see the spreader bars slipping or anything, and this would eliminate the weight of the 3 steel rings on each side. However, with the spreader bars being hollow, there could be a risk of cutting through the amsteel...

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Has anybody modded the UL yet?

I was thinking the other day - what about removing the stock suspension (3 rings and all), and replacing it with an amsteel Y, connecting the 2 Y ends directly to the webbing loops on each side. Then, the spreader bars would spread between each of the Y's appendages. Doable? I don't see the spreader bars slipping or anything, and this would eliminate the weight of the 3 steel rings on each side. However, with the spreader bars being hollow, there could be a risk of cutting through the amsteel...
    The only mod I've made so far is to replace the suspension webbing straps with whoopie slings, which works great. Still pondering the best way to get rid of some or all of the rings, and the shorter webbing straps that make up the triangle at either end.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast